Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 06-18-2019, 02:39 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2018 X23 6000GDI - Previous 2014 Gen2 X25 6.0L
As an X23 owner (and very happy at that) the second video posted by maniacmikes of the X24 looks really impressive.

I would not go to an X22 from an X23. But I would go to an X24.
Old 06-18-2019, 10:00 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: Prostar 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by maniacmikes View Post
I have not been behind the X22, but I have spent some time behind the X24 and significant time behind the X23.

Unfortunately I have not gotten to ride them back to back, so hard to do an accurate comparison.

The X23 is still one of my favorite surf boats... but stock to stock, no question the X24 wave kills it. The X24 is a bigger, heavier boat with more ballast so I question if it is just a matter of displacement. I think if you had as much total weight in an X23 as you did in an X24, the wave would be very similar size, although the X24 has this crazy power way back in the wave which I have not experienced on any other boat (besides the Xstar).

The downside of the X23 in my opinion is the attitude while surfing. The bow rides so freakin high in that thing - your prop angle sucks, so your spinning 4,200+ RPM's while surfing and sucking down gas. It also doesn't like weight in the front, so you can't level it out without sacrificing your wave power.

The X24 by comparison is one of the more level surfing boats I have driven. Its also just a nicer boat as far as layout, storage, etc.

anyhow, down to brass tacks. First video is X23 with 7 adults and an 1,100 on the floor. It was banging that day for sure! girl in video is 6'2. Second video is of X24 with 400 pounds of lead over stock, but also drained the starboard side to 80%. Guy in video is 6'2.

video 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=civ08UgtO1I
video 2
https://youtu.be/zB-rkz4v4Jw
Thanks a ton for the great input!!
Now I need a 24!! Cha Ching!! 💵💵💵😂😂😂
Old 06-18-2019, 10:48 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2002 X30
Great conversation. I too am in a similar decision/thought process. How does the '19 xstar compare to these for surf wave? Really comparing X22 and Xstar. Thanks
Old 06-19-2019, 07:55 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2020 XStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxSurf View Post
Thanks a ton for the great input!!
Now I need a 24!! Cha Ching!! 💵💵💵😂😂😂
I can help you with that, and save you some coin!!

The 24 is definitely incredible. But the 22 is very close, and the Star is right there with the 24.
Old 06-19-2019, 11:55 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2018 X-Star
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmithX30 View Post
Great conversation. I too am in a similar decision/thought process. How does the '19 xstar compare to these for surf wave? Really comparing X22 and Xstar. Thanks
I wish I could try out the X22 - but my dealer is not ordering any for stock...so I will be in the dark for the foreseeable future there.

My experience with the X23, Xstar and X24 have all had their ups and downs. All of them can have incredible surf waves if set up properly... but likewise, they can all have disappointing waves if not set up well.

That is probably most true of the X23 - it is harder to get it right - and takes more day-to-day tweaking to get the wave consistent. It can be absolute garbage, or phenomenal just by moving a few hundred pounds around. Once you know what it likes, it is pretty easy.

My first few rides behind the X24 were disappointing as well. The wave just seemed flat and odd shaped. It had power and length, but I didn't like it. This summer I have spent more time on the X24 (friends boat) - had more time to dial it in and play around with it... and now it is one of my favorite waves. Its tall, steep and long - with an insane amount of push. It takes some movement of weight, listing the boat, adjustment of tabs, but now it is rock solid and you don't need to make adjustments day to day - maybe move the tab up or down 5%, but that's it.

I have also spent more time on my own Xstar - and honestly, I feel like it is the easiest to set up. It doesn't benefit from listing like the X24, it actually can be listed in the wrong direction and still throw a good wave. The wave can be steep, but it has a little wash at the front which is hard to get rid of without mellowing the wave. I am still playing with it... its been a slow start to boating season for me.

so overall, I think stock to stock, the X24 and Xstar have very comparable waves. After adding some weight and tweaking on both boats, I think the X24 does edge out the Star...at least I think my friends X24 throws a better wave at this point than my Star (I will try and rectify that).

It kind of gets to the point where the waves get so good, it is hard to tell the difference...I think that is where all 3 of these boats are.
Old 06-19-2019, 01:04 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2005 XStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxSurf View Post
I hear ya, Iím just 6 hours from the nearest MC dealer so not easy to demo.
I decided itís between an X22 or an X23. The 18 X23ís are priced dramatically better so Iím leaning that way....unless someone says the 22 is a legit better surf boat.
Any thoughts from diehard surfers much appreciated! I
My local dealer still has a '17 X23. Wonder what kind of deal you could get on that?

https://www.dlwatersports.com/boats-...higan-6292551/
Old 06-19-2019, 01:15 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2002 X30
Quote:
Originally Posted by maniacmikes View Post
I wish I could try out the X22 - but my dealer is not ordering any for stock...so I will be in the dark for the foreseeable future there.

My experience with the X23, Xstar and X24 have all had their ups and downs. All of them can have incredible surf waves if set up properly... but likewise, they can all have disappointing waves if not set up well.

That is probably most true of the X23 - it is harder to get it right - and takes more day-to-day tweaking to get the wave consistent. It can be absolute garbage, or phenomenal just by moving a few hundred pounds around. Once you know what it likes, it is pretty easy.

My first few rides behind the X24 were disappointing as well. The wave just seemed flat and odd shaped. It had power and length, but I didn't like it. This summer I have spent more time on the X24 (friends boat) - had more time to dial it in and play around with it... and now it is one of my favorite waves. Its tall, steep and long - with an insane amount of push. It takes some movement of weight, listing the boat, adjustment of tabs, but now it is rock solid and you don't need to make adjustments day to day - maybe move the tab up or down 5%, but that's it.

I have also spent more time on my own Xstar - and honestly, I feel like it is the easiest to set up. It doesn't benefit from listing like the X24, it actually can be listed in the wrong direction and still throw a good wave. The wave can be steep, but it has a little wash at the front which is hard to get rid of without mellowing the wave. I am still playing with it... its been a slow start to boating season for me.

so overall, I think stock to stock, the X24 and Xstar have very comparable waves. After adding some weight and tweaking on both boats, I think the X24 does edge out the Star...at least I think my friends X24 throws a better wave at this point than my Star (I will try and rectify that).

It kind of gets to the point where the waves get so good, it is hard to tell the difference...I think that is where all 3 of these boats are.
Thanks Fourfourty and maniacmikes...I very much appreciate the input. So it sounds like if dollars of the same maybe the Xstar edges out the x22 a little. Thanks again for all the help.
Old 06-19-2019, 01:23 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2017 X23 6000GDI (previous boat was 2014 X25) (4 other boats prior, but none MC)
Send a message via Skype™ to Loewen
*rear lounge seats...
Old 06-19-2019, 03:45 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 19 x22
I have spent a few hours on the dealers x24, put 90 hours on my x23, and own an x22.

x22 without a doubt is the easiest to set up. Actually there is no set up! Stock weight with stock settings are incredible. Both sides are clean as can be and this is with just the driver and one other person. I put 800 lbs of lead in the boat and the wave is so so sweet! It is long and steep with a ton of push. The x22 handling is not comparable to the x23. A closer comparison is to my Ď15 x10 and the x22 still handles much better than the x10. I know because I have some intricate driving moves to get in my lift. I can get the x22 to turn like it has bow thrusters. It handles incredibly well when loaded with full ballast and 800 lbs of lead. The x22 has the large rudder and prop like the xstar and is a foot shorter so handling is comparable or better. The wake board wake on the x22 is Also great. Itís clean down to 18 mph. The boat is a home run.

The interior feels the same as the x23 but itís a bit deeper. It cruises much much better with no porpoising and handles chop the same or better. I would tell x23 owners to have no hesitation going to the x22. The x22 feels smaller cause it handles like a smaller boat. I spent several hours on a xt22 and the x22 handles better.

The x23 is so finicky. I feel like the best wave I had on my x23 is equal to the stock settings and no lead in my x22. I would buy a xt22 before I would buy a x23 no doubt.

The x24 is pretty damn awesome man! Itís a huge boat handles great but no where near the x22. The wave is very customizable. Itís the real deal, but I would definitely order the 7.4. I donít think the wave is any larger on the x24 than the x22. It might be a bi longer but with tweaking they could probably be made the same.

Overall the x22 is the real deal. I bet it becomes the new #1 for MC.
Old 06-20-2019, 12:10 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: Prostar 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by XC500mod View Post
I have spent a few hours on the dealers x24, put 90 hours on my x23, and own an x22.

x22 without a doubt is the easiest to set up. Actually there is no set up! Stock weight with stock settings are incredible. Both sides are clean as can be and this is with just the driver and one other person. I put 800 lbs of lead in the boat and the wave is so so sweet! It is long and steep with a ton of push. The x22 handling is not comparable to the x23. A closer comparison is to my Ď15 x10 and the x22 still handles much better than the x10. I know because I have some intricate driving moves to get in my lift. I can get the x22 to turn like it has bow thrusters. It handles incredibly well when loaded with full ballast and 800 lbs of lead. The x22 has the large rudder and prop like the xstar and is a foot shorter so handling is comparable or better. The wake board wake on the x22 is Also great. Itís clean down to 18 mph. The boat is a home run.

The interior feels the same as the x23 but itís a bit deeper. It cruises much much better with no porpoising and handles chop the same or better. I would tell x23 owners to have no hesitation going to the x22. The x22 feels smaller cause it handles like a smaller boat. I spent several hours on a xt22 and the x22 handles better.

The x23 is so finicky. I feel like the best wave I had on my x23 is equal to the stock settings and no lead in my x22. I would buy a xt22 before I would buy a x23 no doubt.

The x24 is pretty damn awesome man! Itís a huge boat handles great but no where near the x22. The wave is very customizable. Itís the real deal, but I would definitely order the 7.4. I donít think the wave is any larger on the x24 than the x22. It might be a bi longer but with tweaking they could probably be made the same.

Overall the x22 is the real deal. I bet it becomes the new #1 for MC.
Thanks a ton for the comments.
I. Continually hear the 22 is the real deal and performs on par with 24 and some say better.
Iím trying to deal on one now.

Tags
aric has chungus