Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Watersports > Wakeboarding & Wakeskating

Old 04-01-2020, 04:47 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2009 MasterCraft X45
Wakeboard, Tube and gear for newbies

Any advice on some gear for some newbies that want to wakeboard and ride tubes? Mainly teenagers and a few preteens. I was into wakeboarding about 15 years ago and Iím sure a lot of the technology has changed.

Suggestions on types of wakeboard for beginners but will advance very fast. Types of ropes for pulling tubes and good quality tubes.

All advice appreciated!
Old 05-19-2020, 02:47 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2018 X-Star
for wakeboards, I would say buy something decent... don't just look for the cheapest thing out there. The cheap ones will not be as comfortable and you will not enjoy yourself as much.

Also, don't go crazy and get some expensive "expert" level stuff either...sometimes they are actually more difficult to ride and really inhibit progress.

You can get open/closed toe bindings- if it is a board for everyone, you may want to look at open toe, since it will fit a wider variety of people. They also make stiff and soft ones... the soft ones are generally more for cable park/ flexibility of grabs etc, and the stiffer ones are better for the boat, especially for beginner/intermediate riders - but that is all personal preference.

Boards also come in ones meant for the cable or boat- the cable ones are usually advertised that way or have a "slider" base. The main debate will be continuous vs. 3-stage rocker. A continuous rocker is probably what you should look for since it is generally seen as more forgiving. I also would size the board for the biggest person... it doesn't usually hurt to have a board that is too big (within reason), but having a board that is too small can be taxing. If there is a really large discrepancy between large and small riders, you should probably get two boards.

I have experience with Hyperlite Murray, hyperlite baseline, Ronix Vault as being very good all around boards...many others I am sure, thats just my experience.

Look around on Evo.com or the-house.com for last year models and you can usually get them cheaper than what people want for used stuff on CL.