Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-29-2020, 02:45 PM
Island Jim Island Jim is offline
TT Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Boat: Mastercraft, Prostar 205, 1995, Indamar
Location: South
Posts: 12
Throttle Won't Hold Speed

I have a 1995 Prostar 205 that we have been enjoying keeping on the water in its older years (not to mention I'm pretty darn new to DD boats). While pulling a skier, I find that if I don't keep slight pressure on the throttle, it slowly works it way "slower."

Is there a way to tighten this up where keeping a constant speed may be a little easier or is this "just the way they work" kind of thing.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-29-2020, 02:57 PM
Strreamline Strreamline is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Boat: 1988 Mastercraft Platinum Prostar 190
Location: Canada
Posts: 250
This is pretty normal, I believe there is an adjustment but I've always just kept one hand on the throttle, as you usually have to compensate with more throttle as the skier cuts. If your steering is requiring two hands, thats the bigger issue for sure.

Also PerfectPass - worth every penny.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-29-2020, 03:56 PM
waterlogged882's Avatar
waterlogged882 waterlogged882 is offline
MC Master Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Boat: 93 190
Location: lake
Posts: 15,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Jim View Post
I have a 1995 Prostar 205 that we have been enjoying keeping on the water in its older years (not to mention I'm pretty darn new to DD boats). While pulling a skier, I find that if I don't keep slight pressure on the throttle, it slowly works it way "slower."

Is there a way to tighten this up where keeping a constant speed may be a little easier or is this "just the way they work" kind of thing.

Thanks in advance!
Works like a lucky charm. Recommended.

Cable Brake Throttle

.
Attached Images
 
__________________
John 14:6

2 Peter 1:38

Matthew 6:1-4
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-29-2020, 05:40 PM
88falcon's Avatar
88falcon 88falcon is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Boat: 1988 centurion falcon
Location: Northwest
Posts: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterlogged882 View Post
Works like a lucky charm. Recommended.

Cable Brake Throttle

.
Where would this be installed ? Does this hold the throttle at all speeds or a preset speed ?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-29-2020, 06:45 PM
mikeg205 mikeg205 is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Location: Plainfield - Joliet, IL
Posts: 18,428
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
I put mine under dash.. has been working for a decade

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
__________________
...A bad day water skiing still beats a good day at work...1995 Pro Star 205....
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-29-2020, 06:52 PM
waterlogged882's Avatar
waterlogged882 waterlogged882 is offline
MC Master Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Boat: 93 190
Location: lake
Posts: 15,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by 88falcon View Post
Where would this be installed ? Does this hold the throttle at all speeds or a preset speed ?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
I put mine about 12 - 15" downstream of the controller...somewhere under the dash area. Whatever is easy to reach.

It does not hold throttle speeds. It tightens the friction between the cable and the sheathing and holds the cable at any point you need it, whatever the speed may be. It's just a friction gadget. Still works like a lucky charm.

I have PerfectPass as well but that has nothing to do with this gadget. However they do work hand-in-hand. PerfectPass is a little expensive (US$1,250) but it is a very nice add-on for the driver.

.
__________________
John 14:6

2 Peter 1:38

Matthew 6:1-4
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-29-2020, 08:07 PM
88falcon's Avatar
88falcon 88falcon is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Boat: 1988 centurion falcon
Location: Northwest
Posts: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterlogged882 View Post
I put mine about 12 - 15" downstream of the controller...somewhere under the dash area. Whatever is easy to reach.



It does not hold throttle speeds. It tightens the friction between the cable and the sheathing and holds the cable at any point you need it, whatever the speed may be. It's just a friction gadget. Still works like a lucky charm.



I have PerfectPass as well but that has nothing to do with this gadget. However they do work hand-in-hand. PerfectPass is a little expensive (US$1,250) but it is a very nice add-on for the driver.



.
Very cool , I'm going to look into this. I have the same thing happening with the throttle pulling back if I let go , whenever I'm pulling someone I dont care because I always have my hand on the throttle, but when I'm just cruising around looking at the dock lizards I like to let go

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-29-2020, 09:59 PM
CrashCourse316 CrashCourse316 is offline
MC Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Boat: MasterCraft, 280 SST, 2005, Twin 375 Crusader
Location: Michigan
Posts: 693
The mechanics of this is that there is probably a spring return on your throttle body. this is what is pulling the throttle back down. The throttle cable goes to the hand throttle control. if the cable is loose enough to be pulled back by the spring and vibrations then you can tighten the throttle control at your hand. there is a bolt in there at the rotation point that you can generally figure out how to get to and tighten it down a little bit more to your liking.
__________________
Sam
Website: www.SteadyPass.com
Email: support@steadypass.com
Boat: 2005 Maristar 280 SST Twin Crusader 375
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-30-2020, 03:33 PM
shunra shunra is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Boat: 2006 X 15
Location: Alberta
Posts: 224
https://teamtalk.mastercraft.com/sho...=71109&t=71109

There was a throttle friction adjustment screw on mine. Check out this post. Worked for me.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-30-2020, 08:49 PM
waterlogged882's Avatar
waterlogged882 waterlogged882 is offline
MC Master Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Boat: 93 190
Location: lake
Posts: 15,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by shunra View Post
https://teamtalk.mastercraft.com/sho...=71109&t=71109

There was a throttle friction adjustment screw on mine. Check out this post. Worked for me.
I don't think the 1995 year make has that type of controller. He is still using the MV-2 controller.

.
__________________
John 14:6

2 Peter 1:38

Matthew 6:1-4
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:33 AM.


2020