Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Restorations and Refurbishments

Old 06-08-2020, 11:03 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2004 Mastercraft X-10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Water-Dog View Post
Check out my April 2020 post on this thread: 93' Prostar Deck Removal and how I did it. waterlogged882 is a great coach and encourager and it made it a breeze for entire carpet replacement. You might check with your local MC dealer as well. My dealer has done deck removal on some of the new MC to do work on built in tanks and such covered by the floor.
Call me MCOCD in carpet replacement that you can't see from behind the boat, nor anyone else would ever see either.
Thanks for the suggestion. I think we will attempt to do this without removing the deck. In fact, my 15yo and I spent a number of hours tearing out old carpeting, mainly in the cabin floor. The carpeting on the gunwales is actually in good shape, so I will likely keep that and just replace the carpeting in the storage bunks with either new carpeting or Seadek.

I'm definitely thinking we will go with gray/red Seadek for the main cabin, as they have a template for a 2003 already and I think that will be really sharp. I can already tell this will be a bigger project than intended but I know the end product will be worth it.

186,000 miles per second - - - not just a good idea, it's the law.
Old 06-08-2020, 11:05 AM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2Oski17 View Post
musicmd,
Sucks I know...similar story. 5yrs ago an animal tore into my shrink wrapped Response in Michigan. I too had mothballs, DampRid, feces, foam, shredded upholstery etc all over. Luckily the animal wasnít there or I wouldve made it pay. Iíll never unsmell the odor. Powerwashing and cleaning only mitigated. That boat was sold with a new set of upholstery skins.
It's definitely nasty - - - I agree. Luckily, the boat is much better after the power washing and ripping out the old carpeting yesterday. It's already becoming an old memory.

Old 06-08-2020, 11:08 AM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by barefoot View Post
This story's nuts! I keep my boat in a barn on the west side of Lake Mills. I always worry about burrowed animals when I pull it out every season. Luckily, all has been well. I don't know what I would do if I came across the whole family. I'd feel so violated!
I know. This place has been great for many years and I've never had an issue before. However, it will be hard to go back there after the trouble that has caused this year. Of course, I will be ending up with new flooring throughout (and maybe vinyl, if I can convince my wife with the "in for a penny, in for a pound" argument.) I don't want to ever go through this again.

Old 06-08-2020, 11:11 AM
TT Enthusiast

As I mentioned above, my son and I removed a lot of carpeting yesterday. No turning back now. I'll post some photos when I get a chance.

Old 06-09-2020, 07:19 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2004 X-10
This thread got anyone else wanting to separate their hull just to see what the boat looks like topless?
Old 06-23-2020, 10:21 PM
TT Enthusiast

Update

Sharing a bit of an update. After a few crazy weeks at work, I was able to spend a few evenings in the boat. Armed with a few Fantasy Factory IPAs (an excellent Madison WI brew), I have been able to remove much of the carpeting which was torn up by the critters.

I've attached a few pics to illustrate the progress.

Tonight, I was able to get all of the old carpeting out of the front storage bunks, all the way to the rearmost seats on the port side. My plan is to rip out the rest of the carpeting in the rear most storage areas in the next few days.

I'm waiting for a Mylar template kit from Gatorstep, as they don't have a 2004 X-10 on file. My plan is to use Gatorstep for the main cabin and gray Miners Moss for the storage bunks. The carpeting on the gunwales is actually in good shape; although the raccoons pulled it away in places, they didn't shred it like they did in other places. So, I think I can use factory carpeting for the gunwales (regluing it as needed) and then I'm thinking of snapping in the Miners Moss for the storage areas.

I also want to have new vinyl everywhere, but that will likely wait until this Fall or Winter.

Long project and it is taking a lot more time than I had hoped. However, when I get the urge to rush, I take a long, slow sip of Fantasy Factory and remind myself that I always feel better when I take my time and let my appropriate level of MCOCD express itself.

I'll keep posting pics and progress along the way. I hope to have the Gatorstep Mylar template kit here soon so that I can get that done and send it off. Then, I'll spend the 4-6 weeks waiting for the Gatorstep removing glue and getting the Miners Moss in place.

Comments and suggestions always welcome.
Attached Images

Old 06-24-2020, 07:00 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2004 X-10
Ok, Ima need you to really take care with that template. Then, when I get around to mine, GatorStep will have one on file
Old 06-24-2020, 10:01 AM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73blue View Post
Ok, Ima need you to really take care with that template. Then, when I get around to mine, GatorStep will have one on file
I'll do my best.

I looked at Seadek, also, and they had a 2003 X-10 template on file. I ordered a copy and it arrived with a warning that the original was in very poor shape. I tried to make the template fit in the boat and it just didn't line up. Either the 2003 and 2004 are different or the template they had is unusable. So, it looks like I'll have to make a template no matter what!

I'll post updates as I work through the process.

Old 08-17-2020, 01:38 PM
TT Enthusiast

Sorry it's been a little while since I've posted. Between an RV vacation, numerous house projects and getting back into the groove of working, I haven't been able to work on the boat as much. However, much of the carpet removal is done and I'm almost ready to work on my Gatorstep template.

I did run into an issue which took me a little while to work through. Namely, the cover for the center ballast ended up with a significant gap on the port side, essentially about 1". This was due to the fact that the carpeting covered the sides of the opening (under the hinges), as well as the cover itself. Removing four layers of carpeting (two on each side) meant that I had increased the gap on the side opposite the hinges. There was a smaller gap (3/4") on the bow and stern sides, as well.

I realize I could have simply cut my Gatorstep template with the existing gap and just lived with it. But I knew I wouldn't be happy with that.

I thought about a bunch of options, including getting a larger cover made locally or making one myself out of a suitable material. In the end, I elected to use some L-shaped aluminum pieces I had lying around. Luckily, I found a few which measured 1/2" on one side and 3/4" on the other. I attached them to the three sides of the cover, using the 3/4" width for the port-side edge and the 1/2" side for the bow and stern sides.

There may be more clever ways to fix this issue, but I'm happy with how it turned out. There is now a gap of ~1/8" all the way around and the Gatorstep should look a lot better. I will paint all of the edges with black paint once I have removed all the glue from the floor, so things look clean between the edges of Gatorstep.

As you can see in the last photo, I also have a similar issue with the two remaining panels. However, I think this will be a workable solution there, as well.

Comments and suggestions always welcome, of course. I'll keep posting pictures as the project progresses.
Attached Images

Old 09-16-2020, 12:47 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2003 MasterCraft X30
any updates?