Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 05-20-2021, 07:47 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Achilles sg124
Gantry crane

After combing craigslist for the last four years I finally got my 2 ton vestil aluminum gantry crane. Wanted the aluminum version because it only weighs 350 pounds versus 950 for a steel gantry. Makes it extremely portable. Nothing wrong with my boat but I get to use it next week pulling an engine out of my buddies Malibu LSv. Safe to say hes going to owe me a taco or two for the rental fee.
Attached Images

Old 05-20-2021, 07:51 PM
MC Devotee

Now just have to figure out how to cut 3 feet off the I-beam so it fits in my storage unit. Any suggestions?
Old 05-20-2021, 08:48 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Prostar
Sawzall and a handful of blades.

Or, stop by a small machine shop and see what they want. $$. Wont take long on a big bandsaw and then the cut would be straight. They may even smooth up the edges for you.

Id go with #2.
Old 05-20-2021, 08:54 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2007 X14
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwozhog View Post
Now just have to figure out how to cut 3 feet off the I-beam so it fits in my storage unit. Any suggestions?
It's aluminum so it will cut easily. Hacksaw by hand if you feel manly. Sawzall with a metal blade if you want to do it quicker but the blade might wander a bit and it will take some time. I personally have cut big hunks of aluminum into smaller hunks using a sawzall. Horizontal bandsaw would work but you gotta have that box in the friend resource matrix filled out because they are not cheap. Or lastly if you want it cut in under 2 minutes (if you are skilled with cutting) then an angle grinder with a 3M Cubitron II cut off wheel will make short work of it. I have heard of people putting a metal cutting blade in circular saws and doing it that way but that seems sketchy and I am not sure what kind of metal cutting blade for circular saw would work in that situation.
Old 05-20-2021, 09:39 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Progression, Penn Yan, Stand up Ski
That's a nice piece. Besides so many obvious uses gantry's are the cats meow for taking a boat off a trailer.
Old 05-20-2021, 10:02 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: '04 X9
I recently got some aluminum compatible cutoff wheels for a project, off Amazon, and was amazed how well they worked. Was fairly skeptical but the reviews were positive.
Didn't smear the aluminum like you'd expect and cut just as quickly as they'd go through steel
Old 05-20-2021, 11:26 PM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2ORidr View Post
It's aluminum so it will cut easily. Hacksaw by hand if you feel manly. Sawzall with a metal blade if you want to do it quicker but the blade might wander a bit and it will take some time. I personally have cut big hunks of aluminum into smaller hunks using a sawzall. Horizontal bandsaw would work but you gotta have that box in the friend resource matrix filled out because they are not cheap. Or lastly if you want it cut in under 2 minutes (if you are skilled with cutting) then an angle grinder with a 3M Cubitron II cut off wheel will make short work of it. I have heard of people putting a metal cutting blade in circular saws and doing it that way but that seems sketchy and I am not sure what kind of metal cutting blade for circular saw would work in that situation.
Would do think maybe a 12 pack to cut a 10 I beam with a hacksaw by hand😂?
Old 05-20-2021, 11:29 PM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIskiboat View Post
Sawzall and a handful of blades.

Or, stop by a small machine shop and see what they want. $$. Wont take long on a big bandsaw and then the cut would be straight. They may even smooth up the edges for you.

Id go with #2.
Probably will make some calls. To nice of a piece to do a hack job.
Old 05-20-2021, 11:31 PM
MC Devotee

You will no where the extra money went buying aluminum when your able to move a 10” wide 15’ long Ibeam by yourself
Old 05-20-2021, 11:34 PM
MC Devotee

Attached Images