Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 05-07-2018, 09:39 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2018 X Star 6000 GDI
2108 X Star or X23. Help please!

I am debating between a 2018 X Star and X23. I have had 2 X23ís and I am contemplating changing it up. Our entire family wake surf only and the new X Star has caught our attention. I was hoping that any of you out there with any wake surf time behind the new X Star and the X23 could let me know your thoughts.

Also I wanted to see which boat you guys like better (performance aside) as we have never had a red boat. Thanks in advance for your help as I need to decide ASAP and I have been struggling with this decision. I know you fellow TT members could help me sort it out.
Attached Images

Old 05-07-2018, 09:48 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2017 X23
X23. Never had an XStar, but I just don't think I would be willing to give up the loungers on the back that the X23 has. Those are by far the most popular spot both while surfing and while just hanging out.
Old 05-07-2018, 09:49 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2019 XT22
True 1st world problem. I would mix it up and go with the Star. Sound like you switch enough that you could always go back to the X23.
Old 05-07-2018, 09:57 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2012 X35 6.0 Ilmor
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveO View Post
True 1st world problem. I would mix it up and go with the Star. Sound like you switch enough that you could always go back to the X23.

Concur.

Having a 50th Anniversary XStar is pretty special and I personally think the appearance pops more compared to that particular X23.

Canít go wrong with either one.

I also would consider the loss of those transom seats in the X23 - I love those!

Decisions, decisions.
Old 05-07-2018, 10:10 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 18 XSTAR
Have you demo'd the new star? It was a no brainer to me after trying both. The lounge seats are really nice on the X23 but that was its only "advantage" to me. Also, the xstar flip up seat backs get the job done just fine.
Old 05-07-2018, 10:33 AM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerribleONE View Post
Have you demo'd the new star? It was a no brainer to me after trying both. The lounge seats are really nice on the X23 but that was its only "advantage" to me. Also, the xstar flip up seat backs get the job done just fine.

I took the new X Star for a couple demo rides and loved how it handled and drove. Water was 49 Celsius and I didnít have a dry suit so all I could do was watch the wave. It looked as good but I couldnít ride it to tell for sure. I am hoping a TT member has surfed both and could give me some insight.

I did come up with the same conclusion. Aside from the surf seats I am not sure why I wouldnít give the X Star a go.
Old 05-07-2018, 10:59 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2020 XStar
I finally got some significant time riding the XStar on Saturday, as well as a bunch of my friends. IMO, the XStar outshines the X23 in every measurable and immeasurable category....... except rear seat comfort, rough water ride, and general interior comfort.

Rear seat comfort- X23. The flip ups on the XStar are nice, but not even close to the comfort level of the X23

General interior comfort- Tie. They are both equally as spacious and comfortable.

Rough water ride- X23 by a little bit. On rough water, the X23 just jumps on top and glides. It is the best rough water ride I have ever experienced in an inboard. That said, the XStar is the second best rough water ride I have ever experienced in an inboard. It also rides high, dry, and smooth. It is 10x better than a G23 in this regard, but still not quite as good as an X23.

Wake sensitivity- XStar wins this by a country mile.... both while surfing and wakeboarding. The deep v has its advantages in the X23, but it does make it harder to balance, and more sensitive to weight changes. Especially for wakeboarding. And the XStar is the complete opposite. It's not sensitive to weight distribution while surfing, and it is incredibly easy to balance while wakeboarding, as well as being a very clean wake down to very slow speeds (17mph)

Higher speed Handling- XStar. Huge prop and rudder plus flat transom= turn on a dime handling. It's definitely not a prostar, but it is much more responsive than a X23.

Low speed handling- XStar again, probably for the same reasons as above.

Visibility- XStar. It doesn't ride as "nose high" as the X23 while surfing, and also, the visibility is improved with the sloped front of the boat. While towing, I can leave the seat on the lowest setting, and see perfectly through the windshield.

Wakeboard wake- XStar by a mile. The X23 has a decent wake, but it is abrupt, narrow, and harder to keep clean. The XStar has the perfect width, the perfect (and super long) transition, the perfect lip on top, and it stays clean no matter the speed.

Surf Wave- hmm..... might depend on rider preference. I find the XStar to be a slightly mellower shape, but easily as big, if not bigger. Length is very similar. A hardcore surf style rider might prefer the X23 wave, because a steeper wave with a heavier lip, is usually better for big airs. Skim riders and intermediate surf style riders will probably prefer the XStar wave.

Ballast fill time- XStar. 4200lbs in 2.5 minutes. That's over 30% more ballast, in less than 1/3 the amount of time to fill/empty.

Storage- XStar. Having the big rear compartments is a major plus. The drained warming compartment is really nice as well. Especially early/late season.

Looks- subjective, but I definitely like the looks of the Star better.

the XStar starts out much more expensive, but has more standard features. IIRC, by the time you add ZFT4 and the premium audio and touchscreen, the prices are very close.

What else am I missing??
Old 05-07-2018, 11:00 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: ER xstar
49 Celsius? That’s 120 degrees Fahrenheit....
Old 05-07-2018, 11:07 AM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by willyt View Post
49 Celsius? Thatís 120 degrees Fahrenheit....

Oopps. That would have been awesome. Meant fahrenheit. Too early for me I guess...wow!

FourFourty thanks that is an awesome comparison.
Old 05-07-2018, 11:14 AM
MC Addict

Boat: 2015 X23 SS 6.2L
That star looks soo good. 440 gave you a great comparison.

I think the X23 will be getting revamped in a year or two to add some of the new Xstar technologies. That's what I'm waiting/hoping for.