Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 11-23-2018, 12:56 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2014 X10
Stand up Jet Ski - Buying Advice

Looking to get a stand up jet ski. I have never owned one. I am considering in order of current preference: new Yamaha Super Jet, used Kawasaki SXR 800, distant third new Kawasaki SXR 1500. I am slightly concerned about the Yamaha being too small - I am 6 4, 225lbs, The SXR 800 will be 8 plus years old given that they stopped making them. It has a larger tray and is more stable but I would prefer a newer model. The SXR 1500 is the most expensive and it is huge - so less maneuverable. Anyone have experience with these models? Opinions on what is best for a larger newbie rider?
Old 11-23-2018, 02:06 PM
TT Newbie

Superjet all the way. I've got a dozen different stand ups and can't recommend a Superjet enough. It's one of the best machines on earth.
Old 11-23-2018, 02:21 PM
TT Enthusiast

Thanks - do you think the sj will work for a larger rider?
Old 11-23-2018, 03:02 PM
TT Newbie

Yep, it'll be fine. I'm 6'4", used to be 225 and it was good. Jet skiing has motivated me to get lower, now I'm 205 and hope to be lower by next season.

The Superjet is just the most challenging and fun to ride ski out there. If you want to spend your time dry, this is not the ski for you, it will challenge you, but it'll be fun.

The Kawasaki 1500 is just too big. I rode one in Havasu last year and it went fast, but it didn't like going slow. Going 40 mph on a Superjet is fast enough, I don't think I'd want a stand up that went 60. I have zero desire to ever have a 1500 for rec riding. Only get one if you want to race it.

Stand up jet skiing isn't about going fast, it's about carving, jumping, 180's, backflips, hood tricks, even the wango tango. My Superjets have been fantastically reliable too. Almost all aftermarket hulls now are Superjet based. So you can upgrade stuff and move that driveline into a Rickter or something and have even more fun. It's worse than cocaine though, very addictive and is more expensive.

The SXR 800 is a good ski, really good for carving and riding around stable, but it's just not as desirable for me.

This is all my 2 cents, get whatever floats your boat.
Old 11-23-2018, 03:09 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2006 Mastercraft X2 5.7L
What do you want to do with it? Free ride, Superjet, if you want to race, sxr.
The Superjet is the most playful.
Old 11-23-2018, 03:12 PM
TT Enthusiast

Great feedback - your input on the 1500 is helpful and for me the top end speed doesn’t matter. Thanks
Old 11-23-2018, 03:13 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorsWakeShop View Post
What do you want to do with it? Free ride, Superjet, if you want to race, sxr.
The Superjet is the most playful.
Just want to mess around, no racing.
Old 11-23-2018, 09:16 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: xstar, Prostar
I had 2 sxr800's and now the 1500. No experience with superjet. I am 6'2" 230. I was never able to do big tricks on the 800 (talent issues). I can do everything on the 1500 I could do on the 800. It is way more stable for me as I always felt the 800 was too small for my size. My son in 200lbs and he has the same experience with the 1500. My view is the 1500 is just easier to ride than the 800. Also, not dealing with mixing oil is gas is a big plus to me along with easy starting.
Old 11-24-2018, 01:09 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2018 XT20
I’ve had an 85 Kawasaki 550 new, a 92 Kawasaki 750 SX, and now a 15 Yamaha superjet. All are really fun and challenging. The superjet is the lightest (power to weight ratio). The superjet is my favorite because it’s so light and maneuverable.

The only thing that some people don’t like when they ride my superjet is that it “dives” into corners. I like it, because I like aggressive cornering. It just takes getting used too over the Kawasaki.

As stated above, a stand up equals getting really wet. However I’ve been riding them since 85 and I’m still learning new things. A sit down waverunner, I feel like I’ve mastered in 10 minutes then I’m bored. You’ll never be bored on a stand up.
Old 11-24-2018, 06:48 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2002 X30 LTR
i'm 6'2". my weight has ranged from 240's to 215 over the past several years I've owned stand ups. I have an 05 SXR that was a former race ski with all the goodies. An 04 SJ with plate/grate/impeller and factory B exhaust. My 3rd ski is an 89 650sx with SBN44/wescoast exhaust/grate/plate. By far, I prefer the SJ. My BIL has a stock '14 SJ. To me, the SXR just feels fat. The SJ never really settles like the SXR and seems much more responsive. My weight has never been an issue with the SJ or the SXR. I can ride the '14 SJ fine, but it just doesn't feel right to me. I don't know if it is the different hull (changed in '08) or the lack of power with the stock setup. On the flip side, my son greatly prefers the SXR as he feels the SJ to too twitchy. He does agree that the SJ is much better for jumping as it is much lighter than the SXR.

I think a very generic statement would be SXR for racing boys and the SJ for freestyle. Either way, you can't go wrong getting a stand up over a couch. I wouldn't let the age of the ski deter me from buying a ski. Heck, I'd love to get an FX1 which is a much older ski. Like an older MC, maintenance/care is everything when buying an older ski. The only SXR I'd avoid is the first year (2003) as I think they had SXi Pro electronics vs the 04+ 2 stroke SXR electronics. The hull for the round nose and square nose SJ are identical up to 08. I wouldn't hesitate to look at a good condition square nose with the 701. Parts are plentiful and they really aren't that hard to work on.

While not always possible, riding an example of each would really help you narrow your choices. Also, don't get frustrated with the smaller skis, as tray time is a must for any stand up to be proficent.