• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • craig3972
    MC Fanatic
    • Oct 2005

trailer brakes pulsing on and off

2006 xstar with surge brakes on trailer - travelling on the road about 40mph, hit some bumps and the trailer brakes come on abruptly, then off - this happens repeatedly (about 5 or 6 times) untill the ocillations stop. I am guessing that the trailers motion (relative to the tow vehicle) is not being dampened by the trailer brake. Does anyone know how to fix this problem? where can i view an assembly drawing of the surge brake (model ACT-7.5K)?
  • TMCNo1
    MC Hero
    • Jul 2005

Originally posted by craig3972 View Post
    2006 xstar with surge brakes on trailer - travelling on the road about 40mph, hit some bumps and the trailer brakes come on abruptly, then off - this happens repeatedly (about 5 or 6 times) untill the ocillations stop. I am guessing that the trailers motion (relative to the tow vehicle) is not being dampened by the trailer brake. Does anyone know how to fix this problem? where can i view an assembly drawing of the surge brake (model ACT-7.5K)?

Is the boat on or off the trailer when all this happens?
    If the boat is off the trailer, there isn't enough weight on the trailer to hold it on the ground and the brakes lock up and the actuator starts oscillating. Light, gentle pressure on the brake pedal at slower speeds will all but prevent the brakes locking up.

This thread may also help explain, http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...87&postcount=6

If it's doing it with the boat on the trailer, the shock absorber inside the actuator may have gone bad causing the on/off of the braking action. Sometimes, the bad shock will also allow the actuator to engage all the time and it can burn up the brakes.
    Last edited by TMCNo1; 06-21-2010, 01:14 PM.
    Charter Member Number 1

Quote: 2RLAKE,
    At some point in time people need to wake up, remove their cranial intrusion into their own rectal areas, and take responsibility for their own actions.

Comment

• craig3972
      MC Fanatic
      • Oct 2005

The boat is on the trailer when this is happening. Do you happen to know where i can get a manual or more info about the brake on the internet?

Took me a bit to find where u moved the thread

Comment

• TMCNo1
        MC Hero
        • Jul 2005

I'm not sure exactly which actuator you have, but a dealer should have a way to get a owners manual. You can look at this UFP (Unique Functional Products) maintenance pdf file, http://www.ufpnet.com/Portals/0/PDFs...aintenance.pdf and see it your is similar, I don't know exactly what the differences is in the two products, but they look similar. Maybe it will help and maybe someone will come along with the owners/parts manual you need.
        Charter Member Number 1

At some point in time people need to wake up, remove their cranial intrusion into their own rectal areas, and take responsibility for their own actions.

Comment

• craig3972
          MC Fanatic
          • Oct 2005

that manual looks like the brake of my 2001 xstar - that is exactly what i am looking for for my 2006. The model is ACT-7.5K and I think that the brand name might be "Reliable". I am waiting for the dealer to call me back.

Comment

• TMCNo1
            MC Hero
            • Jul 2005

that manual looks like the brake of my 2001 xstar - that is exactly what i am looking for for my 2006. The model is ACT-7.5K and I think that the brand name might be "Reliable". I am waiting for the dealer to call me back.

I have searched and can't find anything to resemble an owners manual/parts drawing/parts list for a Reliable actuator like the UFP pdf, nor do I remember anyone ever posting a pic or a link to one here on TT. Good luck and let us know what you find and please give us a link or post something if you find it for others future reference.
            Charter Member Number 1

Comment

• craig3972
              MC Fanatic
              • Oct 2005

The short answer is that you must purchase an entirely new front assembly to the surge brake. The front assembly houses the broken dampener, but many other parts as well. The dampener I purchased for my 2001 xstar trailer was $60. The front assembly for my 2006 is $275.
              I will see what else i can do....

Comment

• craig3972
                MC Fanatic
                • Oct 2005

here is a pic of the assembly. only the shock absorber is broken, but you must buy the whole assembly - $275 vs $60

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF8284.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	2292626

Comment

• Ski-me
                  MC Maniac
                  • Mar 2007

Where can you get the assembly? On mine, I noticed one wheel grabbing more than the other one. One wheel locked up for a second from the weight shift going over a large bump....very annoying. I just backed off the tension on the shoes for that side.

It seems to do better over bumps now. I guess this is a short term fix.
                  - Jeff

1994 205, LT1

Comment

• Thrall
                    MC Addict
                    • Jul 2004

here is a pic of the assembly. only the shock absorber is broken, but you must buy the whole assembly - $275 vs $60

[ATTACH]59171[/ATTACH]
                    That's a bullschit setup! Kinda like the $500 fuel pump modules that you can get a pump for $100.
                    I bet a good trailer supply place could fix you up with a shock.
                    '06 X2 MCX

"I understand why some people may not want to do this the way I have recommended but I can't understand the death grip some people have on a toilet plunger with a hose fitting." -JimN

Comment

• craig3972
                      MC Fanatic
                      • Oct 2005

ditto Thrall!

Comment

Working...
                      X