Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 07-13-2019, 10:47 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1991 Prostar 190
Thanks for the replies, guys....my fault for not letting you know what carb I've got:

Holley 4160, around 2-3 years old. Has started and run great since I purchased the boat last August and 50-60 hours on it since. It has electronic ignition, a Pertronix FlameThrower 2 0.6 ohm (I have not changed the coil or messed with it at all) and I have not checked the timing yet (don't have a timing light.)

Temps have been consistent once warmed up between 140 and 160 ever since I bought it. Temps were within that range with this situation happening as well.

Having read a bunch of threads on this forum, the 4160 has solved a lot of peoples problems. I've already got that carb so hoping it's something I can just work out with this one. What typically wears first on these 4160's so maybe I can follow that path?

Going to test for vacuum leaks at the gaskets in the morning in the driveway, and get a visual check of the coil and ignition. Then maybe get on the lake for another test session and see if it is temp related or not. Thanks!

Last edited by quattrotto; 07-13-2019 at 10:59 PM.
Old 07-14-2019, 06:28 PM
TT Regular

Update....

Spent some time in the driveway today.....all below performed after engine warmed up between 140-160 degrees....

Checked all spark wires with an in-line spark tester, all good even spark.

Checked for vacuum leaks around the carb with carb cleaner, no increase in rpms anywhere.

Checked the timing and found it was set around 22-24 degrees in advance. I backed it down to 10 degrees advance and it doesn't like that at idle....brings rpm's down too low and it sputters then dies. Will start right back up sometimes with a little gas, other times gas is not needed.

Opened up the distributor and cleaned up the (rusty) springs, around the magnets and just made sure things can move freely in there.

Timing seems to advance fine, as from idle at 10 degrees, it advances to close to 20 degrees at around 2000 rpms.....

So, before I start messing around with the carb settings, what have I discovered and what to do next? Thanks!
Old 07-15-2019, 11:29 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1992 PS 205, 351 HO 1:1
Sounds like you have chased the carb and fuel system.
I had a very similar issue to what you describe. Went through the same process and swapped out the carb, got it running dynamite but had reoccurring problems with the motor cutting out or dropping power after about an 30-60 min of run time.
Turns out my coil was getting super hot (I put my hand on the coil when checking the carb). Once the coil cooled down, everything ran great. Swapped out the coil and put a Pertronix unit in it and have since had 5+ years of trouble free boating.
Just something to consider. Not always a fuel issue, even though it may feel like one.
You have the same coil and spark unit I have. Do you have the solid (epoxy) or oil filled coil? How old is it?
Old 07-15-2019, 01:40 PM
TT Regular

Just bought the boat last August, so I have no idea how old the coil is. The original issue I had manifested itself after a lengthy cool down, so doubting the overheated coil but anything is possible. Gradually replacing components as a preventative measure anyway, so am looking at a new coil regardless. I believe the one I have on there is the epoxy-filled unit, and what I will buy to replace it.

Going out to tune the carb now....haven't touched it since I bought the boat so now that the timing is where it should be, need to bring the carb to baseline spec. Wish me luck!
Old 07-15-2019, 03:45 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 1988 MC Prostar 190, 351 Ford
Send a message via AIM to 88 PS190
Quote:
Originally Posted by quattrotto View Post
So, before I start messing around with the carb settings, what have I discovered and what to do next? Thanks!
I would again inspect that advance. You seem to have located a problem in that you were set to idle at 22 degrees advance and it didn't idle well at 10, then you found an issue with the mechanical advance that when addressed seemed to allow the engine timing to be set to 10 degrees? Or it then wouldn't idle at 10 degrees after cleaning the advance?

What is total advance that you are getting at 4k rpm?
Old 07-15-2019, 06:05 PM
TT Regular

I was able to get the timing set at 10* but it wouldn't idle reliably, would die after 8-10 seconds....could sometimes restart without throttle, sometimes would need a little but then would start right up every time.

So I set the idle mixtures screws according to several threads found on TT to start with and had a bit of a high idle, around 1000.....revved great up to 3000 rpm in short bursts, just had too high an idle. Messed around a bit more and didn't make much difference. Found that the throttle cable was set too tight and keeping the arm from going all the way back to the set screw. Adjusted that, set the idle at around 750 on the tach, rechecked the timing and it's staying at 10* and seems to run great (in the driveway of course....no more "loping" and surging that I could detect earlier in the driveway.) Need to water test and fine tune so I'm hopeful just bringing things back to stock fixes my issue. Fingers crossed!
Old 07-16-2019, 12:41 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1989 mastercraft prostar 190
New to the forum. I'm also having similar issues. Just purchased an 89 prostar with the 351. Ran great the first weekend and then would barely run this past weekend. Replaced the cap and rotor, new plugs and a new fuel separator. Ran good for about 15 minutes then started to miss at low rpms
Old 07-17-2019, 03:28 PM
TT Regular

Water test update....

So, got the boat on the water today and looked promising to start. Started right up, warmed up to temp and idles better than it used to, in and out of gear. However, bogging and surging still happening at low RPM under load. Was able to see little to no fuel making it into the starboard/right side primary barrel, plenty of gas getting into the port/left side primary. Assuming I should see similar streams of fuel going into both primary barrels, looks like I've got a blockage of some sort on the jet on the starboard side. So, seeing as there is enough fuel getting to the secondaries at higher RPM, I would think there is not a delivery problem (such as fuel pump, clogged line, filter, etc.), but there is a carb issue. Before I go and rebuild the carb, anything else I'm not thinking of?

Looking at rebuilding the carb myself, which kit do I need and can I get it at the local NAPA, etc? I know it needs to be marine specific, just want to do it right the first time with the correct rebuild kit and not wait several days for shipping. Any guidance is very much appreciated!
Old 07-17-2019, 06:07 PM
TT Regular

Further Update....

Turns out the carb I have is a rebuilt from National Carburetor in Jacksonville, FL....and they machined off the List #....have not heard great things about the company or their work, so looking at maybe a new carb. Already emailed Peter and have had some recommendations to just ditch the carb and get a new one from SkiDIM.com. Looking at that option seriously as well, any other suggestions before I spend the $$$ on a new carb?

Thanks!

Tags
1991 ps 190, 351, fuel issue, prostar 190