Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > MasterCraft In Your Area

Old 08-19-2019, 04:02 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1998 Prostar 205 (Sold), 2006 x15 w/ mcx
Percy Priest Lake

Myself and some buddies are headed to Percy Priest for the weekend for my bachelor party. We got a house rented near Elm Hill and plan on boating with a friends 23lsv on Friday and Saturday. I'm used to Lake Cumberland which is super steeps banks and deep, anyone got advice for Percy Priest and the Elm Hill area? Areas to definitely stay away from or things we should go do?
Old 08-19-2019, 05:47 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1985 Ski Nautique 2001
If you go under the bridge road overpass, someone needs to download the navionics app and study because its like 3 creeks that come together and is poorly marked, with a definite channel. If you are Elm Hill side of the bridge, it is marked good enough you will be fine.

It is a shallow lake and the wind whips up quick. Depending on where the wind is coming from, you guys might boat in the area near the seven points launch ramp. It is fairly protected.
Old 08-20-2019, 08:42 AM
MC Fanatic

I'd say we'll stay on the north side of the bridge, we're just looking to get on the water and hangout so we want to stay in the safest areas possible since we don't know the lake well. I will definitely download navionics for the weekend, thanks for the advice. Is the restaurant at Elm Hill marina worth eating lunch at, or anywhere else on the lake worth eating?
Old 08-20-2019, 11:13 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2019 XT22
Dave, I would set low expectations for water-sports and higher ones for drinking in party cove. As stated, the south end gets shallow and the lake can be busy on the weekends, although with kids back in school, traffic might be down from summer madness. I ate at Elm Hill once and it was typical lake / bar food. It's similar to the restaurant at Center Hill Marina (Jason's dock) and less like Blue Water at Hurricane.
Old 08-20-2019, 02:38 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1985 Ski Nautique 2001
I have not been in a few years. It was fine a couple of years ago. I stay way up on the other side of the lake where our ski club has a slalom course.

There is a party cove opposite side of the lake from Elm Hill. Head due East from Elm Hill and go about a cove south, on the left. South of the area near 7 points launch where you all can get some calm water to ski, etc.

Immediately south of Elm Hill, same side of the lake, there are some cliffs people jump from.

Percy will due for what you all want. You will pay a few dollars to launch at Elm Hill. Depending on where your house is, you might want launch at 7 points?

Hope you all have a great time. If you get into town by Thursday night, check out Live on the Green -- good free concert venue downtown, before you hit all the honky tonks on lower broad. Good line up this Thursday.
Old 08-20-2019, 03:00 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2017 X10
Location: Center Hill Lake, Old Hickory, and Norris Lakes in TN
I live about 15 minutes away from there, but I normally use Old Hickory Lake for my "local" body of water. That being said, some of the best barbecue you will find in middle Tennessee happens to be on that lake. Check out Papa Turney's BBQ at the Nashville shores Marina. Don't expect too much in the way of atmosphere, but they do have live music several nights per week and some absolutely ridiculously fantastic pork!

https://papaturneysbbq.com/

As for the lake, you really have to do water sports early in the morning on that lake because there are simply too many people riding around looking for a spot to drink. The water is nice though, and there are some nice places for cliff jumping and/or there are some small islands you can claim for your own and have a good cookout if you get there early enough.

Enjoy.
Old 08-20-2019, 03:04 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2017 X10
Location: Center Hill Lake, Old Hickory, and Norris Lakes in TN
P.S. Congratulations on the wedding!! If you think you guys will head downtown at all, you'll have unlimited choices as to what to do with yourselves!
Old 08-20-2019, 03:13 PM
MC Fanatic

you can be in 3' or less of water real quick...Most of the old stumps near like Pool Knob are rotted out or have just been mowered down over the years but I grew up on that lake and have seen beached boats and people limping them off the ramps after they hit something. I beached one off Four Corners one night and we had to get out of the boat and push it off a rock pile that was about 12" under. Before navigational helps. Depth went from 10 or so to 1 in about 2 seconds and then, boom, there goes the dynamite....
Old 08-20-2019, 04:42 PM
MC Fanatic

Thanks for the input guys, we are going to stay at the cabin and boat at Cumberland Thursday then head to Nashville on Friday morning. Id just because of the nature of the lake and how much we dont know about it that we will mostly just put around and drink/party. The group I have with me is all like myself, Id rather hangout with my buddies on the water during the day then just bar hop on broadway. Id say atleast 1 evening we will end up on broadway though, if not both nights, were just going to see what happens.