• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Diesel
    MC Devotee
    • Aug 2004

2019 X24 Heater Install

Hoping someone can help with a few pictures or suggestions. I am adding a Heater Craft 340 to the new X24 with the 6.2L GDI. If anyone has a picture or two of how the heater feed and return hoses tie into the closed cooling system that would be much appreciated.

Ilmore shows this heater loop part#, but not sure if I need it? https://www.ilmor.com/product/3106/214/hose-heater-loop

Thanks in advance!
    05 ProStar 209, Navy Flake, Slate Gray, MCX 1:1 Sold
    15 X23 7.4 FOR SALE
  • FourFourty
    MC Maniac
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Diesel View Post
    Hoping someone can help with a few pictures or suggestions. I am adding a Heater Craft 340 to the new X24 with the 6.2L GDI. If anyone has a picture or two of how the heater feed and return hoses tie into the closed cooling system that would be much appreciated.

Ilmore shows this heater loop part#, but not sure if I need it? https://www.ilmor.com/product/3106/214/hose-heater-loop

Thanks in advance!

I don't have pics of the install, but that heater loop should already be installed on your motor. As you can see in the picture of the part, that loop has not been cut to hook up to a heater. Basically, in its current state, it just returns the coolant loop back without going through a heater. To install the heater, you cut that hose on the marked location, and hook up the your heater hoses to the two ends of that heater loop where you cut it.

The coolant flow direction through the heater doesn't matter. HOWEVER, I would suggest you use a circulator pump, and that is why Ilmor marks that hose with a "to heater" and "from heater". The coolant should circulate as follows....

From heater loop end labeled "to heater"--- To the inlet side of a circulator pump--- Out the outlet of circulator pump to the heater core (either port)--- then back from heater core to the "from heater" part of the heater loop hose.

I have done a bunch of heater installs, you will love having to be crammed down in the front compartment trying to install that heater core and running the hoses. It's not fun. You picked the right heater to use though.

Comment

• Diesel
      MC Devotee
      • Aug 2004

Originally posted by FourFourty View Post
      I don't have pics of the install, but that heater loop should already be installed on your motor. As you can see in the picture of the part, that loop has not been cut to hook up to a heater. Basically, in its current state, it just returns the coolant loop back without going through a heater. To install the heater, you cut that hose on the marked location, and hook up the your heater hoses to the two ends of that heater loop where you cut it.

The coolant flow direction through the heater doesn't matter. HOWEVER, I would suggest you use a circulator pump, and that is why Ilmor marks that hose with a "to heater" and "from heater". The coolant should circulate as follows....

From heater loop end labeled "to heater"--- To the inlet side of a circulator pump--- Out the outlet of circulator pump to the heater core (either port)--- then back from heater core to the "from heater" part of the heater loop hose.

I have done a bunch of heater installs, you will love having to be crammed down in the front compartment trying to install that heater core and running the hoses. It's not fun. You picked the right heater to use though.
      Thank you 440. I thought this might be the case, but just have not had a chance to poke around the engine.

Lol, I know all about being in the front compartment. I've in the process of relocating everything making room for the new sub box. It's a stretch to get in there.

Because the sub is going under the helm, I am trying to keep the heater core toward the back/middle of the boat. Once I get the core, I will be able to see where it might fit. Worst case, I will put it in the small compartment right behind the drivers seat. I was hypothesizing the shorter coolant runs would negate the need for the circulation pump, but will add it if needed.

I plan on having just 4 hot tubes - in the last boat, fights broke out for the one hot tube we had. IMHO they are the only vents worth having.
      15 X23 7.4 FOR SALE

Comment

• FourFourty
        MC Maniac
        • Nov 2010

I hear you. I agree it would be best to have 4 hot tubes.

I would highly suggest doing a circulator pump, no matter what. Ilmor's don't flow very much through that heater circuit at idle. It makes a huge difference, and I believe the circulator wiring is already prewired in the new boats (could be wrong).

Comment

• Diesel
          MC Devotee
          • Aug 2004

Originally posted by FourFourty View Post
          I hear you. I agree it would be best to have 4 hot tubes.

I would highly suggest doing a circulator pump, no matter what. Ilmor's don't flow very much through that heater circuit at idle. It makes a huge difference, and I believe the circulator wiring is already prewired in the new boats (could be wrong).
          Thanks. The fan motor wiring was bundled up under the dash so I bet the circulator pump wiring is there as well.
          15 X23 7.4 FOR SALE

Comment

• barneyferd
            TT Enthusiast
            • Aug 2019

Following...

I have the heater, but the output is not great. Definitely curious about the circulation pump.
            Jerry

2020 X22
            2018 XT22
            2014 Aqua Patio
            2003 Malibu Response LXi
            2001 Malibu Sunsetter
            1978 Ski Supreme

Comment

• Diesel
              MC Devotee
              • Aug 2004

Originally posted by barneyferd View Post
              Following...

I have the heater, but the output is not great. Definitely curious about the circulation pump.
              You should already have a circulation pump. In my x23 it was down in the bottom of the boat under one of the motor mounts - inline, black, bullet looking pump.

It's my understanding the heater core MC uses is undersized and that is what causes lackluster heat.
              15 X23 7.4 FOR SALE

Comment

• barneyferd
                TT Enthusiast
                • Aug 2019

Well there you go... I've been wondering whether I needed to change the core to get better heat. When I saw the mention of the circulation pump, I had brief hope it might be an easier more convenient fix. thanks for the clarifification...
                Jerry

2020 X22
                2018 XT22
                2014 Aqua Patio
                2003 Malibu Response LXi
                2001 Malibu Sunsetter
                1978 Ski Supreme

Comment

• FourFourty
                  MC Maniac
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by barneyferd View Post
                  Well there you go... I've been wondering whether I needed to change the core to get better heat. When I saw the mention of the circulation pump, I had brief hope it might be an easier more convenient fix. thanks for the clarifification...
                  It’s both things really. Factory MC heater core is 20k BTU. Heatercraft makes both 20k and 40k heater cores. The 3XX series are 40k BTU. So, the 40k Heatercraft heater cores will improve heat over the factory 20k.

However, Ilmor engines don’t flow the heater circuit very well at idle. So no matter which heater core you have, the heat at idle is about 4x better with a circulator pump. Most newer (I think 2018 and up) MCs have a circ pump from the factory if the boat was ordered with a heater.

I have done it both ways on my newer MCs, and have come to the conclusion that a Heatercraft 340 or 360 and a circ pump is the way to go.

Comment

• Diesel
                    MC Devotee
                    • Aug 2004

I ordered this circulation pump last night. https://www.bakesonline.com/johnson-...-pump-5-8.html

I looked last night and did not see wiring for the pump, but I will keep looking.

I've heard there is a risk of creating an air lock if you locate the heater core above the heat exchanger on the engine. Anyone have any input on this and does the circulation pump prevent this issue?

I have the perfect spot in a back storage locker, but it will have to be higher than the engine to clear the ballast bag.
                    15 X23 7.4 FOR SALE

Comment

• Diesel
                      MC Devotee
                      • Aug 2004

I'll add to this thread as I get into the install, but here is picture of the heater loop. Port side, upper rear on the engine. I plan on just taking off the loop and connecting the heater hoses directly to the barbs on the engine.
                      Attached Files
                      15 X23 7.4 FOR SALE

Comment

• labrecque
                        TT Enthusiast
                        • Nov 2010

Thinking of doing this as well to my xt25. My question for those that that have done this aka 440, how do run the heater tubes to the port side of the boat? Do you have run them under around the bow and back? I can’t see how to then under the floor and up.

Comment

• FourFourty
                          MC Maniac
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by labrecque View Post
                          Thinking of doing this as well to my xt25. My question for those that that have done this aka 440, how do run the heater tubes to the port side of the boat? Do you have run them under around the bow and back? I can’t see how to then under the floor and up.
                          Ya, On most models, It runs up in the gunnels, or under the seat base, around the front of the boat and then back down the port side. Pretty sure that is the case in the XT25.

Comment

• Diesel
                            MC Devotee
                            • Aug 2004

The x24 has a channel that the fuel filler runs through on both sides. I'm going to try to go through there and under the floor for the passenger side vents.
                            Attached Files
                            15 X23 7.4 FOR SALE

Comment

• Diesel
                              MC Devotee
                              • Aug 2004

Heater Craft 340 Sport kit showed up last night. I will start the install this weekend or next.
                              Attached Files
                              15 X23 7.4 FOR SALE

Comment

Working...
                              X