Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #51  
Old 08-15-2019, 09:03 AM
37tr3n5k 37tr3n5k is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Boat: 2004 Maristar / 350 MCX
Location: NBTX
Posts: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintpollz View Post
My apologies, I meant to say MAP.



Based on these symptoms, wouldn't you recommend he start with the ICM?
Yeah. I was just trying to provide an answer to his question about the position sensor. Sorry for the confusion. I was just talking about how it can be used as a plug without being hooked up.in some models.

To answer your question, if this were my boat and the diagnostic computer only showed bad readings on the MAP sensor and I replaced that, but still had the symptoms as described, Id be looking in this order: fuel filter, fuel pump / pressure, check timing, rotor, ICM and coil. It seems most (if not all) of that has been done, so yes.. Id start looking hard at ICM and coil at this stage. Me, personally, Id just buy them and if its not the problem, keep them as a spare. These boats are 15 years old. Spending the money on the gamut of parts prone to go out and potentially strand you or be down in the summer is well worth it. We are talking only a few hundred bucks for almost all the parts. Vacuum seal the parts and keep them in the boat.. Just my .02
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 08-15-2019, 10:08 AM
paintpollz's Avatar
paintpollz paintpollz is offline
MC Devotee
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Boat: 2002 Prostar 197
Location: Fort Worth
Posts: 1,864
Quote:
Originally Posted by 37tr3n5k View Post
To answer your question, if this were my boat and the diagnostic computer only showed bad readings on the MAP sensor and I replaced that, but still had the symptoms as described, Id be looking in this order: fuel filter, fuel pump / pressure, check timing, rotor, ICM and coil. It seems most (if not all) of that has been done, so yes.. Id start looking hard at ICM and coil at this stage. Me, personally, Id just buy them and if its not the problem, keep them as a spare. These boats are 15 years old. Spending the money on the gamut of parts prone to go out and potentially strand you or be down in the summer is well worth it. We are talking only a few hundred bucks for almost all the parts. Vacuum seal the parts and keep them in the boat.. Just my .02
Exactly what I've been thinking reading all of these posts and having problems myself. I'm at the point where I might just change all of the sensors and coil packs. Not sure how to check timing. My boat has somewhere around 700 hours and its nearly 20 years old. I feel like all of this electronic stuff is due for a swap.

What I'm still trying to figure out now,,,, is it worth it to buy the MEFIburn software to be able to diagnose this stuff? I've never used any diagnostic software before but I'm sure with the resources here I could learn to use it. It would be nice if it would tell me what was wrong so if I had these parts lying around I would know what to swamp out.
__________________
Kevin
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 08-15-2019, 02:51 PM
37tr3n5k 37tr3n5k is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Boat: 2004 Maristar / 350 MCX
Location: NBTX
Posts: 153
the software is very easy. Its straightforward. You just have to have a baseline to compare the readings to which are provided by Indmar in their diagnostic manual. u/n Soder bought the MefiBurn software and although his problem wasn't verifiable thru the software, he is still able to see all of the values of his motor for future use with MefiBurn. I have Diacom and bought it before I had found the MefiBurn product. Had I known, I would have bought MefiBurn since its less expensive.

The version of Diacom you and I can buy and Mefiburn serve the same purpose; Just reading values for the most part. The dealer version of Diacom allows you to flash new calibration files, but in order to do that, Indmar has to give you the decryption keys. They only do this with Indmar dealers (or whatever manufacturer's cal file you are wanting to flash to the ECU).

Ive spoken at length with Diacom support and MefiBurn support. They both seem equally available, however one thing about MefiBurn is they will test, flash, and sell new ECU's and Bob there is a wealth of information. I dont remember- what year is your boat? Did you see the list of parts Soder and I put together on the google drive spreadsheet for 2004 MCX? Most of the parts on these boats are interchangeable with auto parts and available at normal auto parts prices as opposed to marked up "marine" parts stores.

Here is the link to where I posted the parts list:

https://teamtalk.mastercraft.com/sho...d.php?t=102335

Important- this is a 2004 MCX with a MEFI 4B ECU.

Last edited by 37tr3n5k; 08-15-2019 at 03:07 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 08-15-2019, 03:04 PM
paintpollz's Avatar
paintpollz paintpollz is offline
MC Devotee
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Boat: 2002 Prostar 197
Location: Fort Worth
Posts: 1,864
Quote:
Originally Posted by 37tr3n5k View Post
I dont remember- what year is your boat? Did you see the list of parts Soder and I put together on the google drive spreadsheet for 2004 MCX?

Here is the link to where I posted the parts list:

https://teamtalk.mastercraft.com/sho...d.php?t=102335

Important- this is a 2004 MCX with a MEFI 4B ECU.
Mine is a 2002 with the LTR engine.

That list of parts is FANTASTIC. I see a lot of interchangeable parts with the LTR. But still not sure which MEFI I am. Bob could probably tell me..

THANK YOU
__________________
Kevin
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 08-15-2019, 03:10 PM
37tr3n5k 37tr3n5k is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Boat: 2004 Maristar / 350 MCX
Location: NBTX
Posts: 153
For what it's worth in my opinion, the easiest way to find out is to call Indmar and talk to Larry Englebert- He always answers the phone and will pull up your information immediately with your serial number.. If he doesn't answer, he actually calls back. He even emails in a very timely fashion. He will tell you what version your ECU is, what the latest calibration file is available, etc. His number is on that list.

You can ask him for the mechanic;s diagnostic manual for that boat, the wiring diagrams, everything I got all of it from him.
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 08-15-2019, 03:21 PM
paintpollz's Avatar
paintpollz paintpollz is offline
MC Devotee
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Boat: 2002 Prostar 197
Location: Fort Worth
Posts: 1,864
Quote:
Originally Posted by 37tr3n5k View Post
For what it's worth in my opinion, the easiest way to find out is to call Indmar and talk to Larry Englebert- He always answers the phone and will pull up your information immediately with your serial number.. If he doesn't answer, he actually calls back. He even emails in a very timely fashion. He will tell you what version your ECU is, what the latest calibration file is available, etc. His number is on that list.

You can ask him for the mechanic;s diagnostic manual for that boat, the wiring diagrams, everything I got all of it from him.
OK thanks.
__________________
Kevin
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 08-16-2019, 06:45 AM
dom.xstar dom.xstar is offline
TT Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2019
Boat: XStar
Location: southwest
Posts: 22
Thanks for the part overview, it helps a lot!

The things you mentioned I did already:
- fuel pressure
- change of rotor
- ...

The coil will be changed today and the ICM I ordered also today.
The next few days the spark plug wired should arrive. And I got in contact with Indmar to check a knock sensor is really needed.

So almost everything will be changed / checked at the ignition and fuel support.
After that I will get in contact with my mechanic to check the timing.
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 08-16-2019, 01:01 PM
37tr3n5k 37tr3n5k is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Boat: 2004 Maristar / 350 MCX
Location: NBTX
Posts: 153
Yes. sorry for the confusionn on the knock sensor. Even on my list, I had it incorrect. I had it mixed up with the Crank position sensor. I'm changing it on the spreadsheet, so it will be updated.

Last edited by 37tr3n5k; 08-16-2019 at 01:51 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:01 AM.


2018