Go Back   TeamTalk > Classifieds Buy/Sell > What is this boat worth?

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 11-12-2019, 08:03 PM
JohnE's Avatar
JohnE JohnE is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Boat: XT22
Location: Boston 'burbs
Posts: 12,516
Well I may be in the minority. The LY6 400 hp engine would not be the engine of choice for me, unless footing was the priority. The torque/ HP curve makes it more of a "dog" out of the hole.
The MCX would be my choice. You didn't mention transmissions. Does either have the gear reduction? And which engine in the '11. The vinyl in the '11 should be in much nicer shape and be of the newer style vinyl. Personally I'd prefer the single axle trailer, by a lot, with such a light boat. I chose that on my first 2 X14's and confirmed the decision with my 3rd X14 which had a tandem. Also the newer trailer should be in a little better shape. The factory ballast in a 197 isn't enough to matter, it adds such little weight. The tower is a bigger "concern". If you need a tower, your choices are limited as to what will look good on a 197. New Dimension is the only real option, IMO. And they still look good. But that's around $3K, plus installation.

I can't believe how these 197's hold value.
__________________
Prior boats - (3) X14's, (3) Prostars, and a Tristar.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-13-2019, 12:26 PM
Covi's Avatar
Covi Covi is offline
MC Maniac
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Boat: None
Location: Northeast / Vermont
Posts: 2,665
Send a message via AIM to Covi Send a message via Skype™ to Covi
I just sold an 08', 197. Big motor, mini tower, racks, no ballast, wet sounds, etc. It sat on a 2013 matching trailer. I think both these are priced fair. The 07' id probably go a little lower than what is asking price.

I do not like a dual axle trailer. Also the 07' trailer front "v" bunk is at a different location (I understand) making it a tad harder to load and unload.

The tower is great for getting items off the floor and allowing more room. The open bow of a 197 (to me) is useless. It doesnt matter how good of a driver or how careful you are, its going to get wet. The room really only allows 1-2 very small children or 1 smallish adult. Not bad for sitting eating lunch in a calm cove though.

I like blue better than red also. Especially metal flake.

I loved the LY6.

I do not like the drivers seating position of this vintage.

I think you'll find the interior of the newer boat nicer. Better quality, fit, and finish.

Check your garage width and height if you go with the tower.

Good luck both nice rigs.
__________________
86' 19 Skier, 351 PCM (sold)
2008 197 ProStar, LY6 (sold)
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11-13-2019, 01:07 PM
slalomjunkie slalomjunkie is offline
MC Devotee
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Boat: NA
Location: West
Posts: 2,389
Thoughts:

What is YOUR favorite activity? I would never base my purchase on the kids. They will grow up and either not want to go to the lake / go to college and then you’ll be stuck with a boat you possibly hate…

If your passion is slalom/trick/jump, go with the 2011. Nothing wrong with either boat wake wise, but you can not upgrade the 2007 to ZO without serious expense. I also think for the 2007, you're paying for the extras. I would see what a 2007 similarly equipped to the 2011 goes for.

Personally, I feel your current boat drives and skis better than both of your options and the only thing better would be a Nautique.
__________________
The sea, once it casts it's spell, holds one in it's net of wonder forever - Jacques Cousteau
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 11-13-2019, 01:54 PM
3event's Avatar
3event 3event is offline
MC Devotee
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Boat: 2002 PS197
Location: WI
Posts: 1,105
Echoing slalomjunkie, could you prioritize your watersports needs?

We do slalom, barefoot, and a bit of wakeboarding on our 197 so I would be going for Option 1 with the bigger motor. Mine gets by with less HP as an early PS197 that didn't have the rear hull surface hook to push the nose down, but I'd want more HP if I were to upgrade to a model from 2003 onwards.

We are also on a small lake (I assume the OP is similar with the length restriction) and I do find the bow seating usable but I don't ever put 2 full size adults up there. It's great for a couple kids when the lake's not too rough. Gotta learn how to drive it and assume you will get water up there. ("Dad, you made a swimming pool!!!")

Nice boats good luck !
__________________
2002 ProStar 197
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 11-13-2019, 03:31 PM
getoutside2play getoutside2play is offline
TT Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Boat: 1987 ProStar 190, 351 Indmar Ford
Location: Midwest
Posts: 49
@3event, you are correct. It is a small lake so other than the occasional surf boat wave, it's always calm water and we are not driving any distance. I like the idea of the open bow to put extra people in when necessary and also ease of access for equipment. We don't have a slalom course so I only free-ski nowadays.

I just love being out on the water. I don't necessarily have a "favorite" and a typical calm day would start with a quick foot and/slalom. But, I don't have a ton of stamina for those so we switch to wakeboarding and finally to foil surfing. The nice thing about foiling is it's not as physically taxing and can be done in rougher conditions, so from a volume stand-point it's my most common watersport. The kids are 75% tubers, but I make them "earn" it by skiing or boarding.

@slalomjunkie - My boat runs great and the wake is great for skiing and footing. It's not so good for anything else. I do use a center pole unless I am on slalom and it's a bit of a pain. But otherwise I can't use the back seats for anyone so there is no room in the boat for people. I also don't have a perfect pass so there are only a few people I go with that can drive reasonably well. I could spend a couple K to put one in and I have seriously considered that. But, the boat has over 1400hrs and I am tired of dealing with a carburetor and potential issues of an older boat (my '87 gave me a lot of problems). I have only owned MC's since '87 and hadn't considered a Nautique. Which model do you like?

@Covi - A typical season I will only trailer the boat twice, once to put in, and once to take out. Every few years I may trailer it up north or somewhere else but that is rare. I always like the idea of the tandem in case a tire blows, but don't feel strongly one way or another. It seems people either really like them or hate them. I guess it depends on your usage.

The description of the blue one says 2011 on the first page but 2010 in the details. I will have to clarify. But, it does mention a transmission. The '07 doesn't say about a transmission.

It's a tough decision. Both are also in storage so I can't really check them out.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 11-13-2019, 03:55 PM
slalomjunkie slalomjunkie is offline
MC Devotee
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Boat: NA
Location: West
Posts: 2,389
Quote:
Originally Posted by getoutside2play View Post
@slalomjunkie - My boat runs great and the wake is great for skiing and footing. It's not so good for anything else. I do use a center pole unless I am on slalom and it's a bit of a pain. But otherwise I can't use the back seats for anyone so there is no room in the boat for people. I also don't have a perfect pass so there are only a few people I go with that can drive reasonably well. I could spend a couple K to put one in and I have seriously considered that. But, the boat has over 1400hrs and I am tired of dealing with a carburetor and potential issues of an older boat (my '87 gave me a lot of problems). I have only owned MC's since '87 and hadn't considered a Nautique. Which model do you like?
I do not have a tower on my boat, I have the skylon. I agree it’s a pain, but I am not a fan of towers, mostly from a looks perspective. We never have more than 2 in the boat while skiing. Anyone else gets to wait on the dock… But our skiing is different because we’re in our back yards… We even leave ski gear on the dock and go back between skiers. I fully understand about manual driving… Lost art… Manual driving in a course even more difficult.

That being said, I have regularly skied a 2003, 2015 and 2019 Prostar the last 2 seasons. All three slalom great… But the only thing they are better than your 190 is the -22 wake. Tracking wise I would pick your 93 over a brand new prostar.

As far as a Nautique, the 196s, 200, 200 OB from 2008 to present are fantastic skiing and driving. 96-07 are fantastic too, but if I was you, would only consider ZO boats.
__________________
The sea, once it casts it's spell, holds one in it's net of wonder forever - Jacques Cousteau
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 11-13-2019, 03:57 PM
Double D's Avatar
Double D Double D is offline
MC Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Boat: 2008 X14, w/ LY6 400HP w/ 1.22 Ratio Tran
Location: UCLA (Upper Canton, Lower Akron)
Posts: 6,986
Quote:
Originally Posted by getoutside2play View Post
@3event, you are correct. It is a small lake so other than the occasional surf boat wave, it's always calm water and we are not driving any distance. I like the idea of the open bow to put extra people in when necessary and also ease of access for equipment. We don't have a slalom course so I only free-ski nowadays.

I just love being out on the water. I don't necessarily have a "favorite" and a typical calm day would start with a quick foot and/slalom. But, I don't have a ton of stamina for those so we switch to wakeboarding and finally to foil surfing. The nice thing about foiling is it's not as physically taxing and can be done in rougher conditions, so from a volume stand-point it's my most common watersport. The kids are 75% tubers, but I make them "earn" it by skiing or boarding.

@slalomjunkie - My boat runs great and the wake is great for skiing and footing. It's not so good for anything else. I do use a center pole unless I am on slalom and it's a bit of a pain. But otherwise I can't use the back seats for anyone so there is no room in the boat for people. I also don't have a perfect pass so there are only a few people I go with that can drive reasonably well. I could spend a couple K to put one in and I have seriously considered that. But, the boat has over 1400hrs and I am tired of dealing with a carburetor and potential issues of an older boat (my '87 gave me a lot of problems). I have only owned MC's since '87 and hadn't considered a Nautique. Which model do you like?

@Covi - A typical season I will only trailer the boat twice, once to put in, and once to take out. Every few years I may trailer it up north or somewhere else but that is rare. I always like the idea of the tandem in case a tire blows, but don't feel strongly one way or another. It seems people either really like them or hate them. I guess it depends on your usage.

The description of the blue one says 2011 on the first page but 2010 in the details. I will have to clarify. But, it does mention a transmission. The '07 doesn't say about a transmission.

It's a tough decision. Both are also in storage so I can't really check them out.
I'm guessing its a 2010, as that was the only year they did the TT in Canadian Blue Metalflake.. I know that since in the past, I was looking for that year to get that color. Love it!!
__________________
If its not a competition ski boat, its always second best.

2008 MasterCraft X14, LY6, 400 HP
1994 MasterCraft ProStar 205 (SOLD)

Check out the MasterCraft Buckeye Bash on Facebook!



"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 11-13-2019, 06:06 PM
JohnE's Avatar
JohnE JohnE is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Boat: XT22
Location: Boston 'burbs
Posts: 12,516
Quote:
Originally Posted by slalomjunkie View Post
I do not have a tower on my boat, I have the skylon. I agree it’s a pain, but I am not a fan of towers, mostly from a looks perspective. We never have more than 2 in the boat while skiing. Anyone else gets to wait on the dock… But our skiing is different because we’re in our back yards… We even leave ski gear on the dock and go back between skiers. I fully understand about manual driving… Lost art… Manual driving in a course even more difficult.

That being said, I have regularly skied a 2003, 2015 and 2019 Prostar the last 2 seasons. All three slalom great… But the only thing they are better than your 190 is the -22 wake. Tracking wise I would pick your 93 over a brand new prostar.

As far as a Nautique, the 196s, 200, 200 OB from 2008 to present are fantastic skiing and driving. 96-07 are fantastic too, but if I was you, would only consider ZO boats.
I'm not so sure about that. I haven't ski'd or driven a newer prostar, but the 197 tracks better than the famous '91 - 94. I have to believe the newer prostar does as well.
__________________
Prior boats - (3) X14's, (3) Prostars, and a Tristar.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 11-16-2019, 08:07 AM
88 PS190 88 PS190 is offline
MC Maniac
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Boat: 1988 MC Prostar 190, 351 Ford
Location: Midwest
Posts: 4,845
Send a message via AIM to 88 PS190
Ya for skiing the 11 is probably going to have a better slalom wake and ZO
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 11-16-2019, 04:29 PM
zsqure's Avatar
zsqure zsqure is offline
MC Devotee
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Boat: MasterCraft X-14, '09 Blue
Location: Down the road from Double D
Posts: 1,278
Go for #2, the only year of a Canadian Blue flake tournament team boat, resale red is too common. I found the ad on FB, looks like it has a heater and according to the lister was a promo boat, may also have the reduction transmission. The MCX is fine for anything you want to do with that hull. You cant beat an old skool small block chevy motor. I understand what John E says about the 6.0 being slow to spool up. You do what makes you happy, the kids will only be around for so long. Tower, bimini, they can be added, if you choose. And yes the 197's nose can be dipped in the water. So can the 209 and 214, just pay attention and stick the mother in law in the bow.
__________________
https://badges.fuelly.com/images/smallsig-us/302328.png
1988 prostar 190 SOLD
2001 Prostar 209 SOLD
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:50 AM.


2018