Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Trailers

Old 05-05-2021, 02:58 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2003 Mastercraft X-2 MCX
please help - manual brake lockout (for reverse) 03 tandem with reliable tounge

Could really use a hand. Been searching and reading threads, but primarily seeing UFP related info.

Just took the boat in for spring service and am trying to get the old girl back in the garage. Forward is fine, but when I switch to reverse the breaks are not disengaging.

Where can I manually lockout the brakes so I can back her into the garage? It's not obvious when I look at the tongue.

This is a Reliable on an 03 tanem (205V/X2) trailer.

Can include pics if needed, but hoping someone's got the quick answer before the rain comes.

TIA

2003 X-2 MCX
Old 05-05-2021, 03:11 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2021 X24 GDI6000
Do you have a brake/reverse tail light not working on the trailer?

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
Old 05-05-2021, 03:24 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 X-Series MCX
Bruce,

Assuming you and I have the same trailer under out 03's, then no, you cannot lock out the brakes manually, easily.

You could put a clamp or vice grips on the slide to stop it from moving. Not ideal, but it would work for a short push.
Old 05-05-2021, 03:31 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1992 MasterCraft Maristar 240sc 454HO
I'm not sure if your trailer is the same but on the ones I have seen... There is a slot down both sides of the tongue where you could fit a 1/2" -ish size socket and tape it in place. The socket keeps the tongue from compressing and setting the brakes.
Old 05-05-2021, 03:33 PM
MC Maniac

Thanks for the quick replies fellas. I was able to figure it out, well kind of. I did a retrofit on the original back in like 08 or so because the original looked awful, was rusted out from brake fluid, etc., but the replacement was still a Reliable product. This one has a very small hole behind the locking pin that I was able to cram a screw driver through and was at least able to get it back in the garage. I just wasn't seeing it because I didn't have the tongue surge fully extended. I'll need to figure out why I wasn't getting reverse lights on the trailer though. Didn't see any pinched wires in the breakaway tongue, so guess next is to look at the truck fuses?

Trailer needs some love this season or next and am wanting to do the UFP conversion, but just trying to see if I can skimp by this year.

2003 X-2 MCX
Old 05-06-2021, 12:31 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: '04 X9
Glad you got it muscled into the garage, but man depending on how much towing you do the UFP setup is a drop in and will be night and day...and keep you from locking up while on the road. Throw the reliable calipers out while you're in there.
Old 05-06-2021, 09:17 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1992 ProStar 205, 1991 Ski Pro
You're on thin ice as long as you try to nurse your present braking system along. I installed a new UFP actuator and disk brakes 3 years ago, have never looked back. Functioning disk brakes are immensely reassuring. Don't risk an accident or injury. There are those who will say "just take it easy, you'll be fine". I disagree.
Old 05-06-2021, 09:35 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: MC, 35th Anniversary Edition, 03 Stars & Stripes
Another thing to try

I believe there was a trick
take you pig tail plug reverse it, and turn your lights on. This might have been for the bucking 04 or 03 empty trailer, (sorry, can't remember). There was also a special key head that would also lock the sliding pin forward (some mentioned a socket instead). GL
amonette516@comcast.net
Old 05-18-2021, 03:35 PM
MC Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Rita View Post
You're on thin ice as long as you try to nurse your present braking system along. I installed a new UFP actuator and disk brakes 3 years ago, have never looked back. Functioning disk brakes are immensely reassuring. Don't risk an accident or injury. There are those who will say "just take it easy, you'll be fine". I disagree.
I hear ya and FWIW, it's at the shop right now getting the UFP conversion. Brakes and bearings are actually fine according to the shop owner (trailer specific guy who's been doing this for over 15 years).

I seem to recall that the original owner (bought her with 60 hours) had an issue with the brakes shortly after taking delivery and they were replaced at the dealer. I think there was a recall maybe? Something about the brakes locking up, caliper related maybe?

At any rate, we trailer long distances (800 round trip) maybe twice a year and home lake ramp is 10 minutes away, but I appreciate the sage advice. Will be nice to have the peace of mind.

2003 X-2 MCX
Old 05-18-2021, 09:46 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 2016 200 Sport Nautique
Bruce, good choice. I suffered with the Reliable system for years nursing it along while it bled me dry in the form of hours of my time. Ended up finally biting the bullet and for the next three years I owned the boat had effect and reliable brakes. Wish I would have done the conversion sooner.