Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Audio/Stereo

Old 06-12-2021, 07:40 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: pontoon
Quote:
to try messing with tower speaker wires like I planned to rule out.
You stated the noise omits from all the speakers, just not as loud as it is from the tower speakers? If so, youve already ruled out an issue with the speaker wires, which I dont suspect anyway.
Old 06-12-2021, 10:56 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2014 X2 (1986 MC Skier - SOLD)
So I guess I'm not even sure where to look next.... any recommendations?

I'm probably missing something I already tried, or think I know, but here's where I think I am:

Its not the head unit or remote, or their wiring, as it whines even with them disconnected and my phone routed to the EQ instead using audio to RCA jumper/splitter.

Its not the EQ, as it whined the same with 2 separate units installed.

Its not the EQ wiring, as it whined even when the new EQ was first wired direct using temp wires.

An isolator didn't help between the main RCA feeds and the EQ.

New RCA's temporarily ran from the EQ to the amps to bypass existing RCA's didnt fix it.

The amps all draw power and ground from a common source at the house battery. They draw their start power from the head unit.

Completely eliminating the house battery and running all power and ground to only one battery (start battery) didnt help anything.

The only place I've found a sign of improvement or change is disconnecting the RCA's at the tower amps. This does immediately make it much more tolerable, but it also kills the tower speakers. The whine from the tower is unbearable when the engine is running, while the whine from the house speakers (though present) is barely audible. Both amps need to be disconnected, as disconnecting the RCA's to only one or the other doesn't fix it.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Old 06-12-2021, 02:29 PM
MC Devotee

A) disconnecting the main input RCA the 420 = not the head unit
B) new EQ = same noise = not generated by the old or new EQ
c) remove RCA from tower amps = all but gone. So you know know the noise is entering between the EQ and tower amps.
D) what about disconnecting the in-boat amp's RCA? Noise gone?

I still think its a voltage differential issue between the EQ and the rest of the system.
Old 06-12-2021, 10:09 PM
MC Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLA View Post
A)
I still think its a voltage differential issue between the EQ and the rest of the system.
I really appreciate the input. My question is, doing what I've done thus far, what do I check? I'm at a loss.

How do I rule out the voltage differential? I thought I did that by direct wiring the replacement EQ temporarily direct to source instead of existing wiring.

Old 06-15-2021, 09:15 PM
MC Fanatic

Another night of running through a list of ideas from the shop.

Nothing seemed to help, but hopefully they find something useful from the troubleshooting.

We're setup to lake test it this weekend so their techs can have some time fiddling while it runs. In the interim, I sent them this from tonight.... its painful with volume on:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fze...w?usp=drivesdk

Also, when logging in to send this, I'm kicking myself for not seeing this from MLA...

"D) what about disconnecting the in-boat amp's RCA? Noise gone?"

Wish I'd seen/remembered it while it was on the water running. Next check when I have a chance.

Old 06-25-2021, 11:20 AM
MC Fanatic

So…. it’s been a cold rainy week here, which meant no water testing, but lots of time in the garage dissecting the boat’s current wiring.

One area I attacked was unbundling all of the wires from the back of the head unit to the original boat harness to verify the current path of the ground wire, the “turn-on/ignition” power wire, and the power wire. What I found was ugly. Apparently the previous shop didn’t dig all that deep, even after saying they now had everything isolated, because all three of those wires were still connected direct from the head unit into the factory harness. The original wires weren’t cut when the upgrades originally occurred, but instead had a short piece of the coating removed mid-wire and another wire just wrapped around them and then the whole “connection” was just wrapped in electrical tape and then bundled back up.

I cut all three of those wires free of the factory harness and connected them to jumper wires which I ran to the connection blocks with the other audio equip. Temporarily I will have to disconnect the “turn-on” wire to shut the system off, but I am really anxious to try the boat running now. I did try it with the boat off, and it starts up and works like it should when I connect the wires.

If this happens to solve the issue, I can more permanently route the new “turn on” wire to an unused switch or add one under the seat, unless someone smarter than me on here tells me that it was fine routing through the ignition switch.

1. Any chance this was the issue?

2. Any concerns with my changes?

3. Anyone know what else those grounds and power wires feed beyond the head unit if anything within the factory harness? I couldn’t find anything in the boat that isn’t working now that the harness is not connected, but I also didn’t have it on the water yet to run through every possible item.
Old 06-25-2021, 02:16 PM
MC Devotee

Quote:
1. Any chance this was the issue?
99.9%
Old 06-25-2021, 02:31 PM
MC Fanatic

Quote:
99.9%
Man I hope you're right. I like them odds.
Old 06-25-2021, 08:22 PM
MC Fanatic

Quote:
99.9%
Not it. GD it. I was excited, but got her wet and fired her up.... now just PO. Not from you at all.... because I've appreciated every idea you've thrown an me... but I'm at a complete loss here.

While I had her running, I tried disconnecting RCA's to the sub and house amps individually... no help.

Also tried another ground loop isolator again just for $hits and giggles. Didnt work .. but did lead to this question:

This isolator had two pairs of RCA's [4 total]. Tried to insert between EQ and outputs to the amps for cabin and tower.. When I unplug the 2x RCA's from the EQ to tower, pretty much just quiet. But when I unplugged the house speaker RCA's from the EQ while running, to insert them in the isolator, I got an ever loving squeal from them...

Any value/info add?

I'm going mad here.

Old 06-25-2021, 09:24 PM
MC Fanatic

Anyone in West Michigan with some audio knowledge willing to give up a rainy day to stop by? I know its a long shot... but I have a nice garage, plenty of beer, and would even sweeten the deal monetarily if you've got ideas.... ain't afraid to pay, just can't find expertise willing to take on the challenge.

I'm good at a lot of things, but this isn't it... apparently.