• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sodar
    MC Master Poster
    • Nov 2004

Originally posted by CantRepeat View Post
    Glad you got the boat fix. Strange that you didn't get a check engine light on that. Well, I'm not even sure there is a code for that sensor. I'll have to look.

And that sensor doesn't go on the TBI but on the throttle lever at the helm? Yes. I thought this thread started out about TPS? It started about the Throttle Position Sensor or Pedal Position Sensor, as some call it. It is a little sensor on the throttle linkage. After replacing the sensor with the new part, I took apart the old one to see if I could see anything. Long story short, the dielectric grease had turned an ugly black, not the usual translucent white. Other than that, I saw nothing visually wrong with it.

Regardless, nice find and fix.
    Very excited it solved the problem. Only $65 and the cost of gas to get out there and back. Much better than dragging the boat home and having it sit at the dealer for weeks on end.
    -Cameron
    2007 ProStar 197
    1996 ProStar 190

Comment

• CantRepeat
      • Jul 2008

Yeah for some reason I overlooked the PPS in the OPs post. Somewhere I read TPS and just followed that.

EFI blindness.
      -Tim

Making boomers great again!! Boomin'

Comment

• Njbryan
        TT Newbie
        • Jun 2015

Same issue for me this year. 2006 x2 mcx. Boat would random rev at idle. Makes for interesting dock. Lol. Pulled switch at helm, opened, cleaned with contact cleaner, reinstall. Thanks Sodar for posting the pic of the backside. Be carful opening the switch. Spring came loose on me and was fun figuring out. I got scared and ordered another from Mouser like others but actually installed the old one once I figured it out. Passed garden hose test. Lots of great people here. You all saved us $1000. Dealer quote. Thank you!

Comment

• mreed0167
          TT Newbie
          • Jul 2015

How did you remove the actual sensor? The one pin going into from the throttle arm seems to have a fancy small clip holding it in place on the inside of the sensor. I have the old sensor taken off the throttle with the little gold arm still attached to it. The sensor is disassembled in half....I was wondering if there is a way to prevent having to open up the new sensor I ordered when it arrives.
          The spring came out of the old one on me...not sure how it goes back together now or if it even matters how the spring is positioned.

Comment

• Sodar
            MC Master Poster
            • Nov 2004

Originally posted by mreed0167 View Post
            How did you remove the actual sensor? The one pin going into from the throttle arm seems to have a fancy small clip holding it in place on the inside of the sensor. I have the old sensor taken off the throttle with the little gold arm still attached to it. The sensor is disassembled in half....I was wondering if there is a way to prevent having to open up the new sensor I ordered when it arrives.
            The spring came out of the old one on me...not sure how it goes back together now or if it even matters how the spring is positioned.
            The metal lever just pulls out from the sensor. Nothing holds it in the except the two screws when it is mounted to the throttle assembly.
            -Cameron
            2007 ProStar 197
            1996 ProStar 190

Comment

• dcom21
              TT Newbie
              • Jul 2015

We have a 2007 xstar and the throttle was intermittently working and the check engine alarm would go off every time we started the boat. I took it to the dealer and they said it was probably the throttle position sensor but we would have to replace the whole throttle ($600 for just the throttle!). My husband found a thread here that someone posted that they took apart the facade, took the sensor out and cleaned it, and it had ran fine for them for 3 years. My husband did the same thing and our boat has now run great since without any alarms going off!! I would try cleaning the sensor before replacing it! If you need the part number (which I don't know if it will be the same for you due to the difference in year), there is a thread somewhere here that has it posted. It was under $60!

Comment

• Derek Thomas
                TT Newbie
                • Aug 2015

where is the plug in for the scanner on this boat guys is it under the dash or in the motor compartment

Comment

• Sodar
                  MC Master Poster
                  • Nov 2004

Motor compartment. Rear of the motor. Under the ECM where the main breakers are.
                  -Cameron
                  2007 ProStar 197
                  1996 ProStar 190

Comment

• kwood
                    TT Regular
                    • Jun 2005

I am in need of this sensor I have been waiting for 4-5 weeks for the part. They are trying to sell me the entire throttle and handle assemble. I know there has to be some regular tps sensor that will work. I tried mouser electronics. they are on back order til mid September. I find it hard to believe that it is some unique sensor

Comment

• SilvrSurfr
                      TT Enthusiast
                      • Sep 2015

I am reviving this thread because I think I may be having this problem. I have an 05 1997 TT with the MCX. The boat is new to me so no previous experience with it with regards to this. Took the boat out a week ago. We ran it around for about and hour and it ran fine the whole time. I didn't notice any surging or idle issues. We were at the dock after about an hour of run time. After a restart it alarmed, and flashed Check Engine on the Diagnostic screen. I shut it down and restarted, same thing again. Looked things over and tried again, this time no issues and we continued for another hour or so with no problems. Took it to the local boat shop (non MC unfortunately but we don't have one here). He says it is giving a "Throttle Code" and is looking into something to do with the throttle control. I posted this on a new thread, but have now stumbled on this thread. I'm going to find out what the code number was, but I'm curious if anyone had a similar experience to mine with no real symptoms other than the alarm and warning. I'm going to mention this to our service tech in the mean time and see what he says. Any further info you guys have would be much appreciated.

Quinn
                      Giddy Up!!!

Comment

• seth1776
                        TT Newbie
                        • Aug 2015

I replaced mine with the mouser part. hardest part was taking the side panel off. Now I have it all back together, put the boat in and getting error 81 using a mercury scanner it appears to be TAC. Also I had no throttle at all at start up prior to the chk engine light going on. Any thoughts?

Comment

• SilvrSurfr
                          TT Enthusiast
                          • Sep 2015

Well, I had our mechanic look into my problem, and after a lengthy back and forth with MC and another shop they flashed the computer. It now has something call "checksum 371A" loaded. Took it out for a couple hours, and no more codes or alarms. We'll see how long it lasts. I'll keep you posted.

Quinn
                          Giddy Up!!!

Comment

• mikeg205
                            MC Master Poster
                            • Aug 2011

Originally posted by seth1776 View Post
                            I replaced mine with the mouser part. hardest part was taking the side panel off. Now I have it all back together, put the boat in and getting error 81 using a mercury scanner it appears to be TAC. Also I had no throttle at all at start up prior to the chk engine light going on. Any thoughts?
                            Does the TPS have a base setting so they can understand commands from the TAC? I.e is there a base voltage expected at throttle closed? My 95 TBI non TBW has a base setting that needs to set when installing a TPS for proper operation.

There are manuals in the dropbox - link can be found in the general topic category.
                            sigpic...A bad day water skiing still beats a good day at work...1995 Pro Star 205....

Comment

• CantRepeat
                              • Jul 2008

Originally posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
                              Well, I had our mechanic look into my problem, and after a lengthy back and forth with MC and another shop they flashed the computer. It now has something call "checksum 371A" loaded. Took it out for a couple hours, and no more codes or alarms. We'll see how long it lasts. I'll keep you posted.

Quinn
                              Indmar uses the checksum of a calibration file, or CAL file, as another way to identify the file.

A checksum or hash sum is a small-size datum from a block of digital data for the purpose of detecting errors which may have been introduced during its transmission or storage. It is usually applied to an installation file after it is received from the download server.
                              -Tim

Making boomers great again!! Boomin'

Comment

• ZachDaddy
                                TT Enthusiast
                                • Jan 2012

Whats the Mouser Part Number and website?? I have the PPS problem and have the $900 solution but would like to try and go the less expensive route....

Comment

Working...
                                X