Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Restorations and Refurbishments

Old 04-09-2020, 12:45 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2002 X30 3,000 Ballast
I'm going to be working on this project this weekend on my 02 x30. Do you have any more tips? Any pictures of the completed project? Thank you
Old 04-10-2020, 10:43 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2005 x30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bohmer410 View Post
I'm going to be working on this project this weekend on my 02 x30. Do you have any more tips? Any pictures of the completed project? Thank you
I have tons of tips and a lot more pictures I need to get around to posting. The funny thing is, it still isn't compete. I paid for my gatorstep upfront months ago- recieved one set of paper templates, marked them up and sent them back about 4 weeks ago. Im still waiting for my second set of templates so I can approve the shapes ( or make more edits.). It's a bit frustrating because of how slow that portion of the process has been, but it's understandable with today's current crisis affecting everyone. Let me know your questions and if be happy to answer.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Old 04-13-2020, 01:41 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1986 MasterCraft Walk-Around
Hey I would be really curious to see how your ballast values work, I know its exactly on topic.
Old 04-13-2020, 03:20 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: Mastercraft, prostar 2001 205v
I had a buddy weld on pieces of AL to get the gap down and then used 5100 to level the panel to the floor it was a treat to do but worked out great...
Old 06-18-2020, 12:32 AM
TT Regular

So much to show, is there a better way to upload photos?

Anyway, we took out the boat a free weeks ago, even though the flooring had not shown up yet as I had a friend in town and had to get it off the house. Before the lake, I ended up putting in some hours with the buffer ( 4 nights, a few hours each to be more specific.) First time doing it myself, but I had nothing but time on my hands . Used 3M machine polish and the appropriate pads, very happy with the results.

Also gave the interior a thorough scrub as it had been receiving plenty of polish splash and residual gone from all the interior work. I won't get into my issues with the flooring just yet, but will post some work in progress photos next.

Old 06-18-2020, 12:49 AM
TT Regular

Welp, now on to the star of the show and what this thread was created for. The gatorstep flooring...

I have most of it stuck down, the two bow pieces are being replaced so I just have them there for fitment. Wasn't bad to install, just cleaned everything with acetone, vacuumed, and started laying it out. I was frustrated at the fitment at first, but once I removed the backing paper it became much more pliable and I began to get it all lined up how I templated it.

Started with the largest and most difficult piece, the tank cover, just to get it out of the way. One it was down, the anxiety was gone and I began sticking the rest. Mind you, I forgot to bring beer to the shop, plus it was a brisk 110 outside. I made short work of it. I'll have to filter through my photos to find some earlier photos of the floor build. Thanks for reading.

Old 06-18-2020, 01:11 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 VRS 230 w/X-boat package, 8.1L
That's a really cool design- I like the tropical vibe the hibiscus flowers give. Great choice. Where did you get the flooring cut? New flooring is on my list to do, I might just steal your design, with different color flowers.

G
Old 06-18-2020, 01:19 AM
TT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweaver View Post
That's a really cool design- I like the tropical vibe the hibiscus flowers give. Great choice. Where did you get the flooring cut? New flooring is on my list to do, I might just steal your design, with different color flowers.

G
Thank you! That's what I was going for, a 60's centerline tropical surfboard vibe. The flooring was cut by Gatorstep, out of Nashville. This is a 3 layer layup, which is extra comfy in the feet. Hope to take it out this weekend and give it a test run in the sun. If you'd like my initial inspiration design files just let me know.

Old 06-18-2020, 10:26 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2002, X30, L-18
I don't want to change the path of this thread but can you give me more info on the extra bracing added to your tower?

Maybe start a new thread on 2005 Tower bracing. I've re-welded my 2005 probably 6 times and added gussets but it still sways all over the place.
Attached Images

Old 06-18-2020, 10:38 AM
TT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by prostar205 View Post
I don't want to change the path of this thread but can you give me more info on the extra bracing added to your tower?

Maybe start a new thread on 2005 Tower bracing. I've re-welded my 2005 probably 6 times and added gussets but it still sways all over the place.
I was in the same boat, pun intended. my initial issue was cracking right at the takedown points, and these splintered out until it was completely sheared. I had it rewelded two times by the dealer, and I actually had to go at it with the Tig once as well. The last time the dealer decided to add those braces as well as two more up top. I think what made it work the final time is that they sleeved the interior pipe as far as possible before plug welding and finishing. I'm going to grab the boat tomorrow so I'll take some other shots for you and upload them. This fix was probably seven/eight seasons ago and it's been doing fine since then.

Tags
2005, floor replacement, gatorstep, seadek, x30