• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jharmon203
    MC Fanatic
    • Oct 2015

Originally posted by LDA6339 View Post
    Wouldn't you be junking the battery and the car for one and just the car for the other?
    For the electric car, I am saying you could have the option to just replace the battery. It's not really an option for gas car to just replace a component and keep moving.

I am sort of looking at the "footprint" aspect. If both are junked, the gas car isn't any smaller of a footprint in a landfill is it?

Comment

• cbreck0318
      TT Enthusiast
      • Aug 2017

Originally posted by jharmon203 View Post
      For the electric car, I am saying you could have the option to just replace the battery. It's not really an option for gas car to just replace a component and keep moving.

I am sort of looking at the "footprint" aspect. If both are junked, the gas car isn't any smaller of a footprint in a landfill is it?
      Your saying that if an engine fails in a car it can’t be replaced?

Comment

• stig
        TT Enthusiast
        • Jun 2016

Just saw an article today that Hyundai is putting solar panels into the roof of their hybrids. Tesla owns a solar company so I'm sure they will run with this idea too. A bed cover or a bed with integrated panels will def up the range. Can even charge the truck up while you use the boat it just pulled in the parking lot if that happens.

Comment

• jharmon203
          MC Fanatic
          • Oct 2015

Originally posted by cbreck0318 View Post
          Your saying that if an engine fails in a car it can’t be replaced?
          No, I am merely suggesting replacing the battery might be more of a feasible option. Also the idea that there is going to be more waste with electric cars doesn't make sense to me.

Comment

• Tsumi
            MC Devotee
            • Feb 2012

Originally posted by jharmon203 View Post
            You are off by about 16%. If you read an AEP report for 2018, 47% was coal burning 28% natural gas, 7% nuclear, and 14% was renewable.

However, burning fossil fuels isn't actually near as bad as it used to be. The coal is much more efficient and clean, natural gas is a great clean product as well. So just labeling it as "bad fossil fuels" isn't quite an accurate statement.

However, I will agree with you that the "zero emissions" license plate is complete crap as the entirety of the car. Is using electricity far better for a pollution stand point? Absolutely. Electric companies can make energy far cleaner and more efficiently that you can in your ICB driving down the road.

However, again for me it's a nice perk. It actually isn't a motivating factor for me at all though.
            In addition, coal power plants are typically around 35% efficient while natural gas power plants can be as high as 60%. ICE engines on the other hand are 15-20% efficient. Even taking into account line losses, an electric vehicle can go at least 50% farther on the same amount of fuel as an ICE vehicle.

Originally posted by stig View Post
            Just saw an article today that Hyundai is putting solar panels into the roof of their hybrids. Tesla owns a solar company so I'm sure they will run with this idea too. A bed cover or a bed with integrated panels will def up the range. Can even charge the truck up while you use the boat it just pulled in the parking lot if that happens.
            Mostly just a gimmick. A typical sedan occupies an area of approximately 96 square feet. Assuming a maximum of 1000 w/m2 of sunlight energy, that's a theoretical maximum of 9 kw, give or take. The most efficient panel is 46% efficient, with current commercially available ones at around 20% efficiency. You'll be charging at best 4 kwh every hour, and the most efficient electric cars consume 250 watt-hours per mile. One hour of sitting in the sun nets you 16 miles in an absolute best scenario, getting you about 120 miles a day.

In reality the surface area is going to be less and the amount of solar energy is going to be less. Realistically for a truck, you'll only be able to charge at a rate of 1.5 kw. A day of sitting in the sun might get you 12 kwh (generously assuming 8 hours of direct sunlight), which might get you 24 miles. That is not going to be worth what the solar panels are going to cost you.

I don't see solar panels on cars making economical sense until they hit at least 60% efficiency while costing the same as current solar panels.

Comment

• hunter991
              MC Fanatic
              • Jul 2016

yep, the only thing solar panels will do is keep a full charge when sitting. (maintenance mode)

Comment

• paintpollz
                MC Devotee
                • Oct 2014

Originally posted by drydog131 View Post
                Saw this the other day and made me laugh. It could be completely photo shopped but if you search images there are all kinds of them that are similar.
                lol this picture is priceless, if it's real.
                Kevin

Comment

• 1redTA
                  MC Devotee
                  • Aug 2009

Tsumi, thanks for posting the stats on the efficiency of the different means of propulsion. I did not realize that the solar panels were that low. I hope battery technology makes a great breakthrough soon and is able to let more people use EVs.... more gas for me ;-).

I have seen a 5 cycle engine proposed that would use the heat wasted through the radiator to power a steam driven piston.
                  1981 MasterCraft
                  19' Skier 351W PowerSlot
                  Long gone is the Trans AM waiting for another

Comment

• CruisinGA
                    MC Maniac
                    • Jun 2009

Originally posted by 1redTA View Post
                    I have seen a 5 cycle engine proposed that would use the heat wasted through the radiator to power a steam driven piston.
                    Waste of time, radiator heat is too low temp to drive anything worthwhile. Turbo chargers and adjusted valve timing (miller cycle and atkinson cycle) are more effective ways of boosting IC engine efficiency.

I used to work for a large american company that builds large engines with efficiencies up to 45%, compared to the traditional automotive engine in the low 30s
                    Bailey
                    '02 X-9
                    Lake Blue Ridge

Comment

• lashburn1
                      MC Addict
                      • Aug 2013

Our Nieghborhood (800 homes) has at least 20+ Tesla S , 3 or SUVs..maybe more.
                      Infact all but 2 of my nieghbor friends have 1 Tesla, one of them has 2...
                      They are everywhere out here in Southern California, when you drive on th efreeway in traffic there is always one near you...

1/2 the people in my nieghborhood have Solar electric on thier roofs.

I have Solar, but Im not in a position to buy or use a Tesla or other electric vehicle yet.
                      I drive my truck a ton , my wife could , but she likes her 4 runner and its paid for.

Electric Vehicles are coming , and they are here to stay... just not my turn yet.
                      sigpic
                      2014 Chap 264 Sunesta
                      2019 XT25 GEN2 5500
                      2015 X20 SS GEN2 6.0
                      2016 G21 Coastal 5.3
                      2014 X46 GEN2 7.4
                      2014 X30 GEN2 5.7
                      2006 VRS200 SS 5.7
                      2013 X30 GEN2 6.2
                      2013 Yamaha 242LS

Comment

• Mastercraftdave
                        MC Addict
                        • Feb 2012

Originally posted by lashburn1 View Post
                        Our Nieghborhood (800 homes) has at least 20+ Tesla S , 3 or SUVs..maybe more.
                        Infact all but 2 of my nieghbor friends have 1 Tesla, one of them has 2...
                        They are everywhere out here in Southern California, when you drive on th efreeway in traffic there is always one near you...

1/2 the people in my nieghborhood have Solar electric on thier roofs.

I have Solar, but Im not in a position to buy or use a Tesla or other electric vehicle yet.
                        I drive my truck a ton , my wife could , but she likes her 4 runner and its paid for.

Electric Vehicles are coming , and they are here to stay... just not my turn yet.
                        Larry, I can see where an electric car has an advantage in Cali where gas prices are near $5 per gallon. But In Louisiana, out gas prices are $2.10 per gallon so its not to bad.

Comment

• MC25
                          MC Master Poster
                          • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Mastercraftdave View Post
                          Larry, I can see where an electric car has an advantage in Cali where gas prices are near $5 per gallon. But In Louisiana, out gas prices are $2.10 per gallon so its not to bad.
                          Where he’s around, gas is about $3.10ish. $2.10 is still a lot more than $0.00
                          Aric

LONE STAR MASTERBASH 2022
                          Register Here

2019 XT22 - Ear Bleeder
                          2022 Sea Hunt BX22 CC
                          For Sale:
                          2020 Crest 240 SLC Tri Toon

Comment

• roadster02
                            MC Devotee
                            • Oct 2013

Louisiana, 2,10 a gallon, but low power company bill. Kalifornia, 0.00 a gallon, but high power company bill, and sky high cost of electric vehicle. There ain't no free lunch.

Comment

• paintpollz
                              MC Devotee
                              • Oct 2014

Originally posted by lashburn1 View Post

I agree. I'm looking forward to the time where they actually make sense for me which is when there's a 1/2 ton truck option that doesn't look like it came out of an episode of the Jetsons and we have 5 minute charging ports at every "gas station."

Until then I continue burn gas.

What is the price of a gallon of regular where you are right now Larry?
                              Kevin

Comment

• Tsumi
                                MC Devotee
                                • Feb 2012

Originally posted by roadster02 View Post
                                Louisiana, 2,10 a gallon, but low power company bill. Kalifornia, 0.00 a gallon, but high power company bill, and sky high cost of electric vehicle. There ain't no free lunch.
                                Power bill is still about 1/4 the cost of gasoline when using tiered charging at home on off peak hours. The charging stations make it about as expensive as efficient hybrids.

Originally posted by paintpollz View Post
                                I agree. I'm looking forward to the time where they actually make sense for me which is when there's a 1/2 ton truck option that doesn't look like it came out of an episode of the Jetsons and we have 5 minute charging ports at every "gas station."

Until then I continue burn gas.

What is the price of a gallon of regular where you are right now Larry?
                                Gas here in CA is about 3.50 to 4 a gallon right now.

Comment

Working...
                                X