Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Upholstery

Old 05-04-2021, 11:24 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2005 XStar
Help Needed - 2005 XStar Vinyl Burn

Long shot here, but I’m needing help from the group.

I have a 2005 XStar I had taken to a reputable local shop and they performed some pre season work on it for me. While they had it I splurged and had them compound, seal, and wax the exterior & interior detail. When I picked the boat up last week everything looked fantastic.

I couldn't get the boat put into the water and in its covered slip that day so it sat outside (under its cover) for 3 days. When I went to back to put the boat into the lake I was horrified when I removed the cover and saw this.

The business says that it appears to be burned and they’ve seen in it happen even in newer boats when a cleaner is used that strips the vinyl of it’s UV Protection and the black cover making contact with the skin burns it. They claim to use only 303 products.

So, I’ve got this problem and I’m looking for a solution. Viper Customs did the leg work and pulled the build sheet for me. Said that the vinyl that has turned is called Light Ciervo Gray and it’s no longer available (of course). They indicated that they don't have anything that really color matches up.

Anyone happen to have this old skin laying around and want to part with it? Anyone have any suggestions, thoughts, or opinions to offer??
Attached Images

Last edited by 60phoenix; 05-25-2021 at 10:41 AM.
Old 05-04-2021, 11:41 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2005 x30
Put it in the direct sun, it will quickly dissipate.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
Old 05-04-2021, 11:49 AM
TT Newbie

Really? That will be magical if the cure is so simple. Have you seen this before, what the hell is it?
Old 05-04-2021, 12:14 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2005 x30
Quote:
Originally Posted by 60phoenix View Post
Really? That will be magical if the cure is so simple. Have you seen this before, what the hell is it?
Yes, happened to my 06, not as dark on the seams- but over a much larger area. I did a fair amount of researching as I thought I had ruined my seats

https://www.ballofspray.com/forum#/d...tery-or-did-it

I hope it clears up as well as mine did.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
Old 05-04-2021, 12:38 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2012 Mastercraft X-30
When upholstery gets wet and not allowed to dry in the sun fully, a fungi will grow giving the reddish/pink color. The cleaner you keep the upholstery the less chance of this occurring. Chances are It will go away with sun shine.
Old 05-17-2021, 02:04 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft, X-45, 2007, 8.1L
I agree this will come out in the direct sunlight. Separately the dark color is "Light Ciervo Gray" which is available from great lake skipper at the link below I ordered a sample last week and can confirm this matches your dark color area near the bottom of that cushion.

I've been trying to find the light gray/white color and i'm not able to identify it. Did they happen to mention the name of the second color?

https://www.greatlakesskipper.com/ma...BoCAnMQAvD_BwE
Old 05-17-2021, 09:23 PM
TT Newbie

Thanks for the info. The darker Gray was a color they didn’t identify. They identified the light gray (almost white) color as Mastercraft Part Number 692982 and called it Light Ciervo Gray. Let me know if you come across it.

Last edited by 60phoenix; 05-25-2021 at 08:47 AM.
Old 05-25-2021, 08:46 AM
TT Newbie

You guys were correct. We were out this past weekend and the direct sunlight made it all but disappear. “Chemical Pinking” is the term the industry has coined for my situation.

Last edited by 60phoenix; 05-27-2021 at 07:11 AM.