Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Audio/Stereo

Old 05-23-2021, 10:33 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2018 X Star
Help with replacing Klipsch tower speakers

While I was out this weekend I noticed an intermittent flat sound coming from the stereo somewhere. I would describe it as what a sub sounds like when it starts to clip. I originally thought that I may have been pushing the subs a little hard and adjusted according but still noticed it occasionally. So while cleaning the boat up today, I decide to go through each individual zone and figure out what's going on. I have the dual screens with on pair of S85 tower speakers and dual subs. I immediately isolated it to one of the tower speakers when I isolated that zone.

Turns out it was worse than I thought. Port speaker was making the noise that I heard. Only the tweeter on the starboard speaker is working and I'm not sure it was at 100%. I decided to check the wiring first so I run the tower about half way down to make it easier to work on. Instead of pulling just the speaker out, I loosened the aluminum bezel that the speaker attaches to, which in turn attached to the body of the speaker can. As soon as I break a couple of the bolts loose, I end up getting a lap full of water from a speaker can that must have been about 1/3 full. The port side shows signs of having water in it at some point as well.

After I get bot speakers removed, I can tell that the one is shot. The chasis has significant rusting and the speaker move through its range of motion. The other one isn't as bad, but other than the noise at certain frequencies, it still works. I also notice that the rubber o-ring/gasket that seals the 2 portions of the speakers is about 2 inches too long on both speaker cans which won't allow it to lay in the milled channel as it's supposed to. I'm sure that's what allowed the water to get in.

I would think that this is something that should be covered by warranty, but in the event that it's not, I'd like to have a secondary plan in place that doesn't involve purchasing another set of Klipsch speakers directly from MC. Are there any good options to retain the stock cans and replace the Klipsch speakers with something else? Would replacing the entire speaker with a pair of JL or Wetsounds be an option while retaining all other factory components?

I'm not looking to put a ton of work or money into this if I end up having to fix it myself. I'm not overwhelmed by the Klipsch system but its adequate for most of what we do. Lastly, I know a bunch of you have replaced your factory components and I'm wondering if anyone has a pair of just the 8.5" speakers that they're looking to get rid of.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.
Old 05-23-2021, 10:52 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2020 XT22 & '91 PS190
Assuming the rest of your boat is under warranty and youíre not leaving out any significant details, I would hope this would be covered under warranty.

Used Klipsch speakers do come up for sale fairly regularly in the rare instance you cannot get them warrantied. S80 cans would also work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-24-2021, 12:19 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2019 XT23 6.2
You can get just the klipsch speakers without having to buy new cans. They’re like $350 on mcpartsdepot I think if I’m remembering correct. If you buy from an individual the tower speakers are different than the in boat speakers.
Old 05-24-2021, 11:07 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2018 XT22
If not covered by warranty, the cheapest path would be replacing the speaker in the can. Itís about $300 and can be bought from your dealer, mcpartsdepot, or inboard garage pretty easily.

I hope it would be covered by the warranty though

I can help with Klispch Stereo modifications
www.chesnuttech.com
Old 06-08-2021, 12:52 AM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by LD50 View Post
While I was out this weekend I noticed an intermittent flat sound coming from the stereo somewhere. I would describe it as what a sub sounds like when it starts to clip. I originally thought that I may have been pushing the subs a little hard and adjusted according but still noticed it occasionally. So while cleaning the boat up today, I decide to go through each individual zone and figure out what's going on. I have the dual screens with on pair of S85 tower speakers and dual subs. I immediately isolated it to one of the tower speakers when I isolated that zone.

Turns out it was worse than I thought. Port speaker was making the noise that I heard. Only the tweeter on the starboard speaker is working and I'm not sure it was at 100%. I decided to check the wiring first so I run the tower about half way down to make it easier to work on. Instead of pulling just the speaker out, I loosened the aluminum bezel that the speaker attaches to, which in turn attached to the body of the speaker can. As soon as I break a couple of the bolts loose, I end up getting a lap full of water from a speaker can that must have been about 1/3 full. The port side shows signs of having water in it at some point as well.

After I get bot speakers removed, I can tell that the one is shot. The chasis has significant rusting and the speaker move through its range of motion. The other one isn't as bad, but other than the noise at certain frequencies, it still works. I also notice that the rubber o-ring/gasket that seals the 2 portions of the speakers is about 2 inches too long on both speaker cans which won't allow it to lay in the milled channel as it's supposed to. I'm sure that's what allowed the water to get in.

I would think that this is something that should be covered by warranty, but in the event that it's not, I'd like to have a secondary plan in place that doesn't involve purchasing another set of Klipsch speakers directly from MC. Are there any good options to retain the stock cans and replace the Klipsch speakers with something else? Would replacing the entire speaker with a pair of JL or Wetsounds be an option while retaining all other factory components?

I'm not looking to put a ton of work or money into this if I end up having to fix it myself. I'm not overwhelmed by the Klipsch system but its adequate for most of what we do. Lastly, I know a bunch of you have replaced your factory components and I'm wondering if anyone has a pair of just the 8.5" speakers that they're looking to get rid of.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.
Any update?
Old 06-08-2021, 11:03 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2018 X Star
Covered under warranty, no questions asked. My local dealer said he hadn't really seen the issue before but given their immediate willingness to cover the it, he believed it's probably not the first time they've seen it. It might have helped that as soon as I noticed something was up, I started taking pictures to document it during the disassembly. Specifically, the oversized gaskets.

Turn around time was also excellent. Just glad I've got a great local dealership and MC stood behind their product. Part of me was almost hoping they'd say no so I'd have an excuse to try some JL's, but I'm very happy with the end result. I might still try to repower the towers and subs with a JL M1000/5 in the future.
Old 06-08-2021, 11:05 PM
MC Devotee

Excellent, glad things worked out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk