• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MasterCraft Ranger
    MC Devotee
    • Mar 2017

2020 XT22 Klipsch Advanced Audio Upgrade

Thought I would share my upgrade project since it’s a little different from others in that:
    1. I stayed with Klipsch gear
    2. It’s not going to win any awards for custom installs
    3. I am average at best with DIY projects

My XT22 came with the Advanced Audio package. My expectations for the system were low based on the reviews I’d read but I was determined to just live with it no matter what, having spent every loose penny I had on the boat.

Overall, I was pleasantly surprised and given our boating habits, did not see any reason to make any immediate mods.

By the end of the first season and 150 hours, I was ready to improve the bass performance and tower speaker output. I also wanted more sound for the driver.

Initially, I was resigned to adding a second Klipsch sub and replacing the tower speakers with JL 8.8s and a JL 400/4 amp.

Last November, I snagged a used Klipsch sub and set it on a shelf in the garage. Then, an 8 channel and mono amp came up for sale and I started thinking I could accomplish my goals with Klipsch gear. The challenge would be bridging 4 channels on the big amp.

Lastly, I grabbed a pair of lightly used 7” dash speakers.

I keep my boat at the lake, 3 hrs away which makes it difficult to easily work on it.

On a week when I had it home, I had a local shop install the second sub in the factory location. I decided to put the 7” speakers down low and close to the driver seat.

The shop charged me a fortune but it looked great and I know my limits. They ran high quality wire back to the amp rack.

Over the next few trips to the lake, I began to tackle the electronics. I studied everyone’s projects and photos and read through the Klipsch Mods thread several times and bounced my ideas off “ee” and wakejunkie numerous times.

I cleared out my observer’s seat storage area and went to work. I took photos of everything because I know how quickly you forget how things looked before. I envy the people who took out the entire amp board and did the work on a flat surface. Doing this as a vertical jigsaw puzzle was not easy or fun.

I learned from my other AV projects how important it is to move slowly, document everything and verify everything still works after each addition. And turn the battery off every single time. Plus, it gave me a chance to stretch.

I had great plans to maintain the slick connectors Klipsch uses but they were hard to find and in the end, I went old school with crimped butt connectors, shrink wrap and zip ties.

My only real mistake was rearranging everything only to realize the power cables from the new 8 channel amp did not reach the distribution block. So I got to do that all over again.

The hardest part was figuring out which wires to use to bridge the tower speakers. I studied the connectors for a long time and got it right on the second configuration.

In the end, I opted to tie the new 7” speakers in with the Bow Zone as I tend to zero out the Cabin Zone while surfing so my passengers can talk and not get blasted by the tower speakers.

I was not able to fit the factory cover back on. Maybe a project over the winter…

Sonically, I am 100% happy. The extra sub is very noticeable - and they are getting 300 watts instead of 200 - as are the 7” speakers when I’m driving. The tower speakers are now getting 200 watts and it sounds like it.

The next step is to install a set of BlastLED rings on the tower and bow speakers.

Let me know if you have any questions.

A huge shoutout to Wakejunkie who answered my many many DMs while hunched over in the trench.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by MasterCraft Ranger; 06-24-2021, 06:33 PM.
  • cbryan70
    MC Maniac
    • Jul 2006

Coz is that you?
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hoosier Bob
    She always misses me and when I turn her on it is hard to turn her off! She is MC and she completes me! She is the first ride that wants it as much as I do!

Comment

• Wakejunkie
      MC Fanatic
      • Apr 2019

Awesome write up! I know it sounds a lot better! That extra sub is noticeable and the 7s fill the driver area well. Thanks for the recognition. I learned a lot of the system from studying wire diagrams and working with eecyclone. If anyone is wanting more out of their klipsch stereo then reach out to myself or eecyclone.

Comment

• MasterCraft Ranger
        MC Devotee
        • Mar 2017

I left out an important piece of info - https://www.chesnuttech.com/ is where I purchased the splitters that allowed me to add the new 7” speakers to the Bow zone as well as split the Tower zone across 4 channels of the 8 channel amp. You can also buy adapters to incorporate non Klipsch amps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

• MasterCraft Ranger
          MC Devotee
          • Mar 2017

Originally posted by cbryan70 View Post
          Coz is that you?

Huh?

Comment

• eecyclone
            MC Devotee
            • Oct 2014

Originally posted by MasterCraft Ranger View Post
            I left out an important piece of info - https://www.chesnuttech.com/ is where I purchased the splitters that allowed me to add the new 7” speakers to the Bow zone as well as split the Tower zone across 4 channels of the 8 channel amp. You can also buy adapters to incorporate non Klipsch amps.

I'm glad you got it going, it looks great! Thanks for your support!

Which zone/amp outputs do you have powering the 7" speakers in the cockpit and the tower speakers?
            '18 XT22 w/5500 & Upgraded Premium Stereo
            (Previous- '08 X2 w/MCX)
            '16 F150 Platinum Screw 3.5L Eco 4x4

I can help with Klipsch Stereo modifications
            www.chesnuttech.com

Comment

• MasterCraft Ranger
              MC Devotee
              • Mar 2017

Originally posted by eecyclone View Post
              I'm glad you got it going, it looks great! Thanks for your support!

Which zone/amp outputs do you have powering the 7" speakers in the cockpit and the tower speakers?

For the 7” speakers, I used the two channels on the original 8 channel amp that were freed up when I moved the bridged sub channel over to the dedicated mono amp.

For the towers, I really focused on trying to figure out what a bridged config would require not having an actual wire schematic and managed to get that right the first time. I then used your splitter to go from the DSP’s Tower cable to two zones on the new 8 channel amp.

I went one channel at a time and to my surprise, the right tower speaker came alive on the first try which I want to say was the pre amp cable labeled Bow zone. The next two produced no sound out of the left tower speaker and then I started to worry that I’d gotten something wrong but on the last pre amp cable connection, I heard music playing. I believe that was the Cabin cable but I’m not positive.

I’ve heeded Wakejunkie’s advice and kept the Bow zone volume level below 35 and have not noticed any distortion in the 7”speakers.

Comment

• eecyclone
                MC Devotee
                • Oct 2014

Originally posted by MasterCraft Ranger View Post
                For the towers, I really focused on trying to figure out what a bridged config would require not having an actual wire schematic and managed to get that right the first time. I then used your splitter to go from the DSP’s Tower cable to two zones on the new 8 channel amp.
                Gotcha. I just wanted to make sure that it was bridged correctly using the two positive (non-striped) wires of the amp output. The speakers will play with using Ch1+ to Ch2-, but that just provides the same power output as using one channel of the amp. In that scenario there is no advantage in bridging. It's only when the +/+ outputs are used that the power output is doubled, and doing that requires custom wiring or use of an amp bridging adapter cable.
                '18 XT22 w/5500 & Upgraded Premium Stereo
                (Previous- '08 X2 w/MCX)
                '16 F150 Platinum Screw 3.5L Eco 4x4

I can help with Klipsch Stereo modifications
                www.chesnuttech.com

Comment

• Diesel
                  MC Devotee
                  • Aug 2004

Very nice work and thanks for sharing!
                  05 ProStar 209, Navy Flake, Slate Gray, MCX 1:1 Sold
                  15 X23 7.4 FOR SALE

Comment

• MasterCraft Ranger
                    MC Devotee
                    • Mar 2017

Originally posted by eecyclone View Post
                    Gotcha. I just wanted to make sure that it was bridged correctly using the two positive (non-striped) wires of the amp output. The speakers will play with using Ch1+ to Ch2-, but that just provides the same power output as using one channel of the amp. In that scenario there is no advantage in bridging. It's only when the +/+ outputs are used that the power output is doubled, and doing that requires custom wiring or use of an amp bridging adapter cable.

Hmmm, I need to revisit this as I’m pretty sure I did the Ch1+ to Ch2- config based on how I’ve seen it configured on a JL Audio amp.

Comment

• MasterCraft Ranger
                      MC Devotee
                      • Mar 2017

Originally posted by Diesel View Post

Ha, thanks. I thought of many times, usually in the context of “this would make Diesel cringe if he ever saw this…”

Comment

• MasterCraft Ranger
                        MC Devotee
                        • Mar 2017

Originally posted by Diesel View Post

Whoa, not sure how I missed this but thanks! It certainly made me appreciate all the A+ custom amp boards I’ve seen posted here. And glad I was able to put some of your old gear to work.

Comment

Working...
                        X