Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Restorations and Refurbishments

Old 08-21-2021, 06:41 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2015 X30, 1980 S&S Project
Donít worryÖ this post has nothing to do with gas money.

What a great summer it was, but school has started so we are home more now and Iím starting to have some time to work on the boat again.

10 hours of sanding so far this week / weekend. All of this was done with the biggest block board that would work in the specific area and 80 grit to knock down the very thick primer coats I applied in the spring.

Between how wavy this peach was out of the mold, the variety of damaged areas I tried to repair, and my questionable body work skills, I am now leaning toward lighter colors hoping they are kinder to the imperfections than darker colors would be.

The bottom, transom, and starboard side are now blocked out (first pass). The body lines are hard to maintain so I got it as flat / straight as possible then ran a tape line and sanded right up to it, which cleaned the line up some.

I spent quite a bit of time trying to get the keel line straight-ish. Some may recall that this was completely rebuilt since it started out with significant damage from being beached. In some places I added nearly 1/2Ē of fiberglass. Looks like itís now going to be good enough.

A few picsÖ
Attached Images

Old 08-22-2021, 03:35 PM
TT Regular

Working the other side today and thought Iíd give some more detail in case anyone is ever crazy enough to try this themselves.

The primer was misted over with flat black spray for the purpose of providing a sanding guide. Then you sand until all the guide coat is gone, at which point it is much straighter.

The last surface on the side is an example. The first 5-10 minutes of sanding gives a feel for where the problem areas are (2nd and 3rd pics). Then another 10-20 minutes and you are down to just the bad problems (4th and 5th pics). The last two pics are working down the high areas to level with a low spot.
Attached Images

Old 08-22-2021, 05:14 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1993 ProStar 190
Wow. Keep up the good/hard work and thanks for sharing.
Old 08-22-2021, 06:04 PM
TT Regular

Boat: '15 X10
Amazing thread. WT, you have mad skills!

Out of curiosity, what was the inspiration for this project?
Old 08-22-2021, 06:26 PM
TT Regular

Another lap around the boat with 120 grit and then a wash job. Hard to tell looking at it with water to create a reflection, but it seems like itís as straight as I had hoped.

Remaining body work on the motor box, platform, seat bases, and then hopefully itís gel coat time. Maybe in a couple of months?

Iím tired. Beer:30.
Attached Images

Old 08-22-2021, 06:50 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1981 MasterCraft 351W slot
awesome!! I can’t wait to see how the gel cote is done for when I eventually do mine
Old 08-23-2021, 10:25 PM
TT Regular

Keeping it simple today. The doghouse is a flimsy guy, and the edges were pretty darn thin, so some quick sanding, an acetone wipe and a thick glass layer should reinforce it. Also backed up the area where the vent goes since I am planning on resizing it and making a new vent frame to match the other vents I previously made. Low precision workÖ this will all be hidden by paint and insulation.
Attached Images

Old 08-29-2021, 07:48 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1990 Maristar 210
Looking great, thanks for the updates!
Old 08-29-2021, 08:01 PM
TT Regular

Got the doghouse mostly finished today.

Made a vent frame similar to the transom and bow vents previously shown. Basically roughed it out with a saw, drill and router and then hand shaped it. Cut the old hole in the doghouse larger (and squared it up) for the new vent. All vents will be backed by some honeycomb material on final install.

Also finished blocking out the doghouse for the Nth time. This thing was terribly wavy from the mold, a bit better after the texture was sanded off, and then after many hours of priming, sanding, re-priming, and sanding I am tired of trying to perfect it, and am moving on.

Lastly, I am going to spray out some kahuna blue and gunmetal flake stripe to practice and see if I like the colors. Only Spectrum makes these colors and they price like a monopoly, so I bought some patch kits as color samples and hope to have a close match made by another supplier. The slate gray is what Iím thinking Iíll back the gunmetal flake with.

DecisionsÖ Throw rocks at these color ideas. For those following over time, you can probably tell Iím struggling to pick the right colors that balance vintage and modern.
Attached Images

Old 08-29-2021, 08:08 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 93 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyTango View Post
... For those following over time, you can probably tell I’m struggling to pick the right colors that balance vintage and modern.

2 Peter 1:3Ė8

Matthew 6:1-4