• Show
Clear All
  • Ben205
    TT Regular
    • Apr 2015

LT1 fuel issues, need advise on what to buy

OK.

1996 205 LT1

Noticed the boat starving fuel when the tank was about 1/4 full. Fuel pump was loud
    Cleaned all lines, replaced high pressure filter and clear screen on the bottom of the pump and the bottom of the tank tube.

Put some Ethanol free 87 in it. Put it in the water. It run the best it has ever. It reached 5000 rpm with no hesitation.
    After about an hour the pump was loud again and I could only get to 4000 rpm.

I want to put a water separator filter inline between the tank and pump.

Will I need to install a low pressure booster pump?

Any suggestions will be very helpful

Also.
    Can someone point me to the lowest price for the lt1 fuel pump. I wonder if they are made of Gold.
  • Table Rocker
    MC Devotee
    • Oct 2010

I would wonder if my fuel tank vent tube was clear. If it is clogged up, you will have problems sucking fuel after running for a while. Try running with the gas cap loose.

I would also check the anti-siphon valve on top of the tank for being gummed up, the filter on top of the tank (if you have one) and the fuel lines for deterioration.
    '96 ProStar 205 SD LT-1

Comment

• Ben205
      TT Regular
      • Apr 2015

I did check the vent and all was good. I will try loosening the cap on the next trip as a test. Not sure about this anti-siphon valve. Can you post a photo. Did not have filter on top of the tank.

I blew the lines out. They looked in good shape. I will repeat the clean out tomorrow and install a new filter between the tank and pump. I have a filling the pump might be going bad.

Comment

• Table Rocker
        MC Devotee
        • Oct 2010

Originally posted by Ben205 View Post
        I did check the vent and all was good. I will try loosening the cap on the next trip as a test. Not sure about this anti-siphon valve. Can you post a photo. Did not have filter on top of the tank.

I blew the lines out. They looked in good shape. I will repeat the clean out tomorrow and install a new filter between the tank and pump. I have a filling the pump might be going bad.
        It is a fitting on top of the fuel sender box where the hose attaches. It is a little valve with an arm. They are known to gum up and cause problems. Good luck.
        '96 ProStar 205 SD LT-1

Comment

• mikeg205
          MC Master Poster
          • Aug 2011

you can try a carter p61171 inline fuel pump - check the PSI on this pump.. the return should be ok and I believe can be by passed. The p61171 should deliver 40psi spec for lt1 is 30-45 psi.. the return should be ok. some others have bypassed this from the the base of the carter p60962.

the carter p61171 is like $70. would be great to find this out. same harness and regulator is external to fuel pump.
          sigpic...A bad day water skiing still beats a good day at work...1995 Pro Star 205....

Comment

• Ben205
            TT Regular
            • Apr 2015

Seems this is a common problem. I will be looking into a different pump arrangement. Corvette did not use this set up.

Comment

• Shaun R
              MC Devotee
              • Jun 2014

Check the fuel pressure when it starts giving you issues. Also, premium fuel is recommended for this motor. Runs on the cheap stuff, runs better on the good stuff.

Comment

• mikeg205
                MC Master Poster
                • Aug 2011

You can also use an airtex e8266 or equivalent - both marine pumps... I believe 95 and 96 auto were using intank fuel pumps. Not sure where the fuel pump regulator is on the LT1 - that could also be the problem.
                sigpic...A bad day water skiing still beats a good day at work...1995 Pro Star 205....

Comment

• Ben205
                  TT Regular
                  • Apr 2015

I have asked my gear head buddies. They can't see a reason I just can't run a normal pump such as the e8266. Just eliminate the Tee on the return line.

Comment

• mikeg205
                    MC Master Poster
                    • Aug 2011

Yes.. talked to many people about that as well and it has been done.. but it would be great to get pictures and a written account of success. There's a rubber valve which bleeds of pressure from current pump.. not sure how well that works and current pump has a plastic impeller. . Not sure how how that helps if pump primed for georotor pump.

Comment

• Ben205
                      TT Regular
                      • Apr 2015

Well I installed new fuel pump. Vortech 8F002-265: Fuel Pump, Electric, T-Rex 50/70. I got the pump for free from a friend of mine. It is second-hand. I installed it with an eye to going back to original. See Photos
                      I also installed a clear filter.
                      I capped off the tee on the return line.
                      I did find an issue. One of the fuel line factory fitting pulled apart. I use a hose clamp to repair. Maybe sucked a little air??
                      After the install the pump needed to be primed. The factory one self primed. Once primed the pump ran perfectly. Fuel pressure 42 PSI. I have not had it in the water. I plan to do that tomorrow. If the pump works I will redo the install and make it more permanent.
                      I think the single line pump will work just fine. My guess is the factory pump configuration makes priming simpler. That's it. Why pay for that. Once the pump is prime the only time you would need to re-prime would be if you drained the fuel system. Anyway I will update soon.
                      Attached Files

Comment

• mikeg205
                        MC Master Poster
                        • Aug 2011

The 3003 filter may be a problem if pump does not create enough suction. If the filter empties while running there will be some hesitation issues

Comment

• Ben205
                          TT Regular
                          • Apr 2015

Yes I understand. Justed to see what the fuel is doing during the testing of the new fuel pump configuration. The pump i am using is a heavy duty pump. It came out of a supercharged mustang. Should have the suck needed. If all going well I will replace it with a tube type filter. But for $3 you can't beat it.
                          Testing/skiing today.

Comment

• Ben205
                            TT Regular
                            • Apr 2015

Other a full day on the boat I can report the single supply on fuel pump work perfectly. No issues with the pre-pump filter either. The pump was almost silent. With the history of this boat I could easily say the bad fuel pump could have caused the cylinder destination due to fuel starvation. If your fuel pump is making noise there is something wrong.

Comment

• mikeg205
                              MC Master Poster
                              • Aug 2011

Originally posted by Ben205 View Post
                              Other a full day on the boat I can report the single supply on fuel pump work perfectly. No issues with the pre-pump filter either. The pump was almost silent. With the history of this boat I could easily say the bad fuel pump could have caused the cylinder destination due to fuel starvation. If your fuel pump is making noise there is something wrong.
                              so correct! the old pump parts shown here.. the OEM pump never produced enough suction to pull fuel from tank. On my FB group someone fabricated an in-tank pump using correct pump. The little plastic impeller may have added a little help for the gerotor intake.. but could never find specs on the pump accept the difference from the p60962(MPI) and - p60987(TBI) pumps.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X