X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wouter
    TT Enthusiast
    • Jan 2007

Interesting: I switched to electronic ignition a few years ago (ballast resistor removed)

Comment

• 88 PS190
      MC Addict
      • Aug 2005

Originally posted by Wouter View Post
      Interesting: I switched to electronic ignition a few years ago (ballast resistor removed)
      This will crank with dead kill switch but if only one source of power goes to the coil it will not fire because the only source of power to the coil comes from the ignition switch through the purple wire through the kill switch to the coil. If you eliminated this poorly/bad crimps or whatever you could have a poor start condition - that purple wire must be well connected at all points to feed the coil's draw. On most starter solenoids there are 4 terminals. Battery, starter winding, switched signal from coil and a R terminal. The R terminal is wired to the coil. When cranking the R terminal goes hot which feeds power to the coil bypassing the ballast resistor. When you release the key to run power goes through the ballast resistor to the coil dropping voltage at the points. When talking boat starting symptoms a boat that doesnt crank is a NSS battery wire or starter or key etc. A boat that cranks and won't catch or cranks and pops then dies when you release the key you look at the kill awitch.

Comment

• RxMC
        MC Fanatic
        • Jul 2019

Originally posted by 88 PS190 View Post
        A boat that cranks and won't catch or cranks and pops then dies when you release the key you look at the kill awitch.
        I had this happen at the ramp on a super beautiful, calm evening. Frustrating and I didn't figure it out until later. It would run as long as the key was in the start position.

Comment

• 88 PS190
          MC Addict
          • Aug 2005

Originally posted by RxMC View Post
          I had this happen at the ramp on a super beautiful, calm evening. Frustrating and I didn't figure it out until later. It would run as long as the key was in the start position.
          Doesn't that blow? My brother was up at the lake with friends got out the starting fluid drained the battery cranking. Finally called me told him what was up - that + a battery charge and he got it running. But destroyed a whole day of their lake time.

Comment

• Wouter
            TT Enthusiast
            • Jan 2007

Bad ground at the battery in the end...

Comment

• Wouter
              TT Enthusiast
              • Jan 2007

So I thought I was out of the woods after fixing the bad battery ground, but experienced the same scenario again and again. Got to my sky club, start my boat, everything fine and after a few minutes the engine suddenly stops and is impossible to start… Next day; same thing. Upon first start, everything goes well then engine dies after a while and impossible to start. So I decided to change the NSS and boat starts again. Was very happy, then after a few minutes the engine dies again… Couldn’t figure out what was happening, then it hit me that the NSS I removed was suspiciously wet. Checked the newly installed one and also wet. Dryer it off and the engine started fine. Turns out my muffler is cracked and is spraying water on the NSS causing it to short thereby killing the engine… Am planning to remove the muffler and replace it with some rust free 3” pipes and marine exhaust. Fixed this muffler a few times already but it seems the cracks always end up coming back, hence removal…

Comment

• waterlogged882
                MC Master Poster
                • Dec 2004

Good tid bit to know for future possibilities. Thanks.

93 190
                (safe click)
                John 14:6
                (safe click)

Comment

Working...
                X