Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-03-2017, 11:04 PM
georgea0731's Avatar
georgea0731 georgea0731 is offline
MC Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Boat: MC, 35th Anniversary Edition, 03 Stars & Stripes
Location: Lake Martin, AL Sandy Creek area
Posts: 713
How to remove the driver's seat in 197?

I did a search and couldn't find any instructions nor pictures.
My front screws were really loose and barely got the seat to move up
so I could get a socket screw driver to tighten them. I believe theirs
a stop underneath too which makes it hard to get access.
__________________
Previous Boats: 04 X7, 98 190, 96 205, Sylvan Deck
Thanks and best wishes, George & Sara Amonette
770 634 5437
[email protected]
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-04-2017, 08:28 AM
Stoph68 Stoph68 is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Boat: 2003 Prostar 197
Location: Midwest
Posts: 331
It's kinda tough... over time the seat bottom deforms and makes it nearly impossible to get to the back rail screws which are driven in at an angle to clear the back of the seat anyway..

Get some spray lube or WD 40 and spray down the rails and work back and forth to make sure that you are all the way forward...

I had to use a small "Z" shaped craftsman screw driver (phillips on one end and flat on the other) to get the 2 back mounting base screws out. Yes it is a P.I.T.A... 1/4 turn at a time.

When you get those out then slide the seat all the way back and take out the front 2 screws.

Once you get the seat out you will probably notice that the plastic seat bottom has deformed a bit over time and that the back end of the seat rail has also deformed under the domed shape spacer washer. The rail will have to be straightened or replaced. Depending on how clean you can get the rollers you may want to replace. When putting back together do NOT use the dome shaped spacer on the back. Get some 1" outer diameter fender washers and stack them up for the correct spacing.. This will spread out the pressure on the rail and keep it from deforming as easily.

If you get the rear spacers right then you will be able to re-install the seat with a drill / driver.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-16-2017, 04:57 AM
Skier Steve Skier Steve is offline
TT Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Boat: Mastercraft 197, 2002
Location: Midwest
Posts: 34
Just pulled my driver's seat. Hard to get the back screws out. Had to buy a LONG (14") #2 phillips screw driver so that I could get around the bulge in the back of the seat. Took a LOT of torque to get 'em loose! Could NOT do it w/ an electric driver. Good luck.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-16-2017, 05:59 AM
JohnnyB's Avatar
JohnnyB JohnnyB is offline
MC Maniac
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Boat: 2004 Prostar 190
Location: Titletown
Posts: 3,974
I do mine with an impact driver, a 6" extension. #2 bit is a bit small too

Sent from my SM-G920R6 using Tapatalk
__________________
Everyone Dies, but not everyone lives

2004 Prostar 197, ACME 843
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-17-2017, 11:14 AM
Bubbacuse77's Avatar
Bubbacuse77 Bubbacuse77 is offline
MC Devotee
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Boat: Mastercraft Prostar 197, 2002
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 1,156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoph68 View Post
It's kinda tough... over time the seat bottom deforms and makes it nearly impossible to get to the back rail screws which are driven in at an angle to clear the back of the seat anyway..

Get some spray lube or WD 40 and spray down the rails and work back and forth to make sure that you are all the way forward...

I had to use a small "Z" shaped craftsman screw driver (phillips on one end and flat on the other) to get the 2 back mounting base screws out. Yes it is a P.I.T.A... 1/4 turn at a time.

When you get those out then slide the seat all the way back and take out the front 2 screws.

Once you get the seat out you will probably notice that the plastic seat bottom has deformed a bit over time and that the back end of the seat rail has also deformed under the domed shape spacer washer. The rail will have to be straightened or replaced. Depending on how clean you can get the rollers you may want to replace. When putting back together do NOT use the dome shaped spacer on the back. Get some 1" outer diameter fender washers and stack them up for the correct spacing.. This will spread out the pressure on the rail and keep it from deforming as easily.

If you get the rear spacers right then you will be able to re-install the seat with a drill / driver.

Good luck!
Plus 1 on the above. I've had mine off countless times over the last 3 years. The only thing I'll add is that when you get the slides cleaned up and maybe repainted put some anti seize on the bearings and I added rubber washers between the gel base and the slides so water would not get trapped between them.
__________________

"America is about speed. Hot, Nasty, bad-a$$ speed"
-Eleanor Roosevelt
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-08-2019, 02:08 PM
amarch amarch is offline
TT Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Boat: Mastercraft, 197, 2006, Indmar RTP
Location: Saluda Lake, Upstate SC
Posts: 7
Anyone know if the seat cushion can be removed without removing the entire driver seat? Is it screwed from the bottom
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-08-2019, 02:55 PM
lakedrum03's Avatar
lakedrum03 lakedrum03 is online now
MC Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Boat: 2003 X-Series MCX
Location: Ohio
Posts: 940
Quote:
Originally Posted by amarch View Post
Anyone know if the seat cushion can be removed without removing the entire driver seat? Is it screwed from the bottom
no. you need to take it out of the boat to get to everything
__________________
Being on a boat that's moving through the water, it's so clear. Everything falls into place in terms of what's important and what's not. - James Taylor
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-09-2019, 12:42 AM
Fullpass's Avatar
Fullpass Fullpass is offline
MC Fanatic
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Boat: MasterCraft 197 Pro Tournament Team
Location: Northern Midwest
Posts: 928
Send a message via Yahoo to Fullpass
Seems the seat cushion has a L shaped bracket holding it in place under the cushion itself, Maybe press down on the seat cushion and slide forward. The bracket was metal, so when sliding forward...dont let bracket nip any other vinyl. I did have the seat cushion out one time to clean, on a 03 197. Thinking that was all that was to it.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-09-2019, 10:32 PM
Lars's Avatar
Lars Lars is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Boat: PS197
Location: Midwest
Posts: 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
I do mine with an impact driver, a 6" extension. #2 bit is a bit small too

Sent from my SM-G920R6 using Tapatalk
Agreed, it is a #3 phillips screw head. couple extensions on my impact and they come right now.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:50 AM.


2018