• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dinosaurinson
    TT Newbie
    • Jul 2019

1989 Tristar 190

Looking at purchasing a 1989 Tristar 190 with 1300 engine hours.

The boat is in visibly great condition, garage kept, professionally and regularly maintained, custom tower, boat currently on the second owner, normal wear and tear on original seating, overall looks beautiful.

I plan to look at the boat out of water next week and then take it for a ride - to get more of a feel for its overall condition and look at the engine (which I believe is a 351). Prior to that, I wanted to start this thread to get a general idea of a reasonable price. Owner is asking for ~10k.

I am not new to boating but new to boat owning, so any comments are greatly appreciated.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Dinosaurinson; 07-25-2019, 04:54 PM.
  • d2jp
    MC Devotee
    • Jun 2011

That is a New Dimensions tower (at one time supplied OEM towers to MC). They were not offered on '89 era boats, but is considered "the" tower if you are going to add a tower to an older boat. Tristar 190s are interesting with the built-in platform. Some love it, some not so much. It does take away some rear interior space, I think it adds to the lines of the boat and they have a nice look to them. Bow seating area is small, but usable.
    Pricewise...that seems a little high with 1300 hours. You didn't mention if a trailer was included (or if you need one). A well maintained 351 could go well past 2000 hours, but still it's a point of negotiation. If you were to buy that same boat today, w/o the tower and wanted to install a New Dimensions tower, the tower alone would be around $2500. IMO if you like the boat and the tower is really a must have, I'd offer closer to $8K (assuming a trailer in good condition was included) and see where it shakes out. Working to your advantage is the market for used V-drives is much bigger than used direct drives, so maybe not as many interested buyers lining up. OTOH the sellers advantage is this appears to be a really nice, well cared for MC and there is always a market for those. Good luck.

Comment

• Dinosaurinson
      TT Newbie
      • Jul 2019

Thank you d2jp. Yes, I forgot to mention a trailer in good condition is included.

Comment

• etduc
        MC Devotee
        • Jul 2004

For a couple more thousand more, you can get a nice 205. A much better boat.

Tristar, in calm water, is ok ride. In big rough water, it's very rough ride. The center(front of engine) gas tank, makes the boat plow thru water. The gas tank vent location, tends to suck in water. Very easy to submarine, the front, even in calm water.

I had one for my 1st inboard.
        The integrated swim platform , is a pain.
        sigpic Ayyyy!

2004 Red/White/Black something or other.

Formally, 1994 RED Mastercraft 205, Chevy 5.7 TBI.

Comment

Working...
        X