• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • maniacmikes
    MC Devotee
    • May 2014

made the jump: goodbye X30

After riding behind some newer boats this summer, and seeing all the refinement that has gone into the surf and wakeboard wakes, as well as some of the cool new features of the boats... it really got my wife and I thinking about looking at a new boat.

I love my 2014 X30, and my dealer Stancraft of Idaho (as well as MC) has been really good to me, but I felt like if I was going to spend the money, I wanted to go back and start from square one to make sure I was getting the boat that was the best fit for me and my family regardless of brand.

I was hoping to get a little better wave, a little better wake, and just some other useful features in the boat. As many of you know, the bar was set pretty high, as the X30 is a really solid boat. On top of that, I have put 800 hours on it - I have it dialed, it is amazing.

After looking at a lot of boats, and test driving a few of the standouts from other manufacturers... I was really starting to think that I wouldn't be able to find a boat that was worth upgrading to. None of them performed as well as I thought that they should have...they really just didn't meet my expectations; and didn't offer much, if any, improvement over my X30.

Then Jason from Stancraft called me up. He had a deal for me that was almost too good to be true. They had a demo Xstar that they wanted gone. Okay then. I still wasn't going to drop that kind of coin unless it felt like a big upgrade from my X30, and I had been disappointed up to this point.

I had surfed the Star before... it was beefy - but I found it soft and lacked push - but it had potential. maybe it just needed to be tweaked. I had never wakeboarded it before either (I hear it is supposed to do that too).

So we went out on the test drive. I got to spend an hour just messing with stuff on the boat, dialing in the wave and such.

I got to tell you all, with just stock ballast, this thing was unbelievable. Easily 6" taller and 5 feet longer than my wave. unreal amounts of push, super nice shape... just crazy good. being able to tweak it a little really just made the wave come alive. Also the tip from everyone at riding at 11.4 or higher is key. that gave it the firmness I was looking for.

And then I wakeboarded it. Holly s@#$ that was fun! The wake big, poppy and has a buttery smooth landing that my old back really appreciated. I came up short a few times, took it out too far a few times...but everything felt like a super smooth landing.

Pretty much that was the point of new return. Couldn't go back to the X30 after that.

Thanks again to Jason from Stancraft for making this work out... he is a super solid guy both personally and professionally. Also, if you want a good deal on a sexy as hell X30 and don't mind the high hours - give him a call - my old boat has tons of life left in it - runs like a top.
    Attached Files
    The question is not whether life exists after death, but whether you were alive before death - Osho
  • MC25
    MC Master Poster
    • Nov 2007

Wow!!! Looks amazing.
    Aric

LONE STAR MASTERBASH 2022
    Register Here

2019 XT22 - Ear Bleeder
    2022 Sea Hunt BX22 CC
    For Sale:
    2020 Crest 240 SLC Tri Toon

Comment

• GregS
      TT Regular
      • Jun 2010

Awesome

Beautiful boat!
      2010 X-Star
      http://i395.photobucket.com/albums/p...h_PICT3382.jpg

Comment

• 2RLAKE
        MC Addict
        • Jun 2007

Awesome looking boat ... huge congrats

Comment

• Maxirat427
          TT Enthusiast
          • Oct 2016

Great looking boat. Those are my colors. Wish I could have found Black/Red/White X30 but It never worked out. I love mine so far and plan to keep it but those Stars are sweet. Think I'll try to talk my buddy into one when he trades out of his X23.
          There may be better ways to relax than being on a boat...I just haven't found one yet!

Comment

• moosehead
            MC Maniac
            • May 2015

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

• osmonet
              TT Regular
              • Mar 2015

Good choice. That wakeboard wake is like nothing else

Comment

• maniacmikes
                MC Devotee
                • May 2014

Originally posted by Maxirat427 View Post
                Great looking boat. Those are my colors. Wish I could have found Black/Red/White X30 but It never worked out. I love mine so far and plan to keep it but those Stars are sweet. Think I'll try to talk my buddy into one when he trades out of his X23.

I do like the color scheme of my old x30 a little better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                The question is not whether life exists after death, but whether you were alive before death - Osho

Comment

• AZX46OD
                  MC Fanatic
                  • Dec 2008

Thank you for sharing your experience and good luck with your new ride!! We demo'd the X24 2 weeks ago, and tomorrow we demo the XStar. I'm excited to see what it can do!

Comment

• SteveO
                    MC Maniac
                    • Jan 2005

Beautiful upgrade. Now the pain of waiting till 2019 to really enjoy her.
                    2017 NXT22, 2015 NXT20, 2007 X2, 2002 209

Comment

• Mastercraftdave
                      MC Addict
                      • Feb 2012

Man that Star looks great. The color combo is perfect

Comment

• ATLX30
                        MC Fanatic
                        • Apr 2014

Man, you're killing me. Doing my best to stay away from the X-Star because I know I would never be able to walk away from it.

Comment

• moosehead
                          MC Maniac
                          • May 2015

made the jump: goodbye X30

Originally posted by maniacmikes View Post
                          I do like the color scheme of my old x30 a little better.

Meh. You will get over it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

• SS LS1
                            MC Devotee
                            • Jul 2006

Great story and thanks for sharing. Wish I had your problems deciding between a beautiful '14 X30 or a Sick new X Star! How do you sleep at night? LOL

That XSTAR wake looks amazing right out of the box, I'm sure you will fine tune it even better with some hrs. Crazy to think how sweet a surf boat the Star is now when it was ragged on just a few yrs ago about its lame surfability. No longer a one trick pony.

You interior is damn sexy with the baseball contrast color stitching. Kudos!
                            XT20 5500 GDI Black Mica/Black Topdeck/ Black interior
                            SOLD - 2013 X2 Pro Pkg, Gen2 Surf
                            SOLD - 1998 30th Anniversary ProStar 190
                            SOLD - 1985 Stars and Stripes

sigpic

Comment

• maniacmikes
                              MC Devotee
                              • May 2014

Originally posted by SteveO View Post
                              Beautiful upgrade. Now the pain of waiting till 2019 to really enjoy her.
                              Yeah, whats killing me is that it is supposed to be 70 degrees here this weekend and I don't have access to the XStar. The front ballast wasn't working during the test drive, so it went into Service directly after the test drive and they are slammed with winterizing boats.

Comment

Working...
                              X