Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Electrical

Old 06-08-2021, 12:01 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2010 Mastercraft X-55
2010 X-55 keeps stalling

Last season I was tracing down an engine rough running and quitting problem. Here was part of my post "I changed the MAP sensor yesterday and now everything seems good (except for ballast). Word to the wise- when I called Mastercraft for the cross reference MAP sensor part number I was given Indmar, AC-Delco and Echlin (NAPA). I went to O-reilly's and they sold me a cross referenced Standard ignition part. It ran great for about 10 minutes and gave me a barometric system code SPN108 FMI:0. After reading in the Indmar diagnostic manual I saw that the MAP sensor is the barometric input. Based on this, I decided to try a NAPA MAP sensor. Put it in and engine runs great. Have run it for a few hours. Was it a faulty part? Not sure. The part at NAPA $60. Amazon had one for $14. Ordered one and will try in boat and keep as spare."

UPDATE TO THIS PROBLEM:
Yesterday while running the boat for the first time this year generally it ran OK. A continual issue I have is the baot will stall when running at lower RPMS (no wake zone). The solution that I have found is:
1. Shut ignition off.
2. Unplug MAP sensor.
3. Start engine (this starts engine without pressure altitude information I believe). The engine will start and run rough.
4. Shut off ignition.
5. Plug MAP sensor back in.
6. Start engine.

This will fix the problem, but my family has completely lost confidence in the boat as I had to do this 3 times in 2 hours yesterday. I stumbled upon the fix last year, but I need to make it so this boat runs without these little problems before my family will enjoy it. Does anyone have any ideas?
Old 06-09-2021, 08:31 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: Mastercraft, prostar 2001 205v
sometimes you have to buy OEM and pay the price.. the $14 ones are junk...

the NAPA one looks to be better but ....

Tags
ecu, map sensor