X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • musicmd
    TT Enthusiast
    • May 2012

Not many. The work continues but is slow. I work in healthcare so the Summer has been crazy with COVID-19, as you might imagine. I'm planning to take a few days off work in the next few weeks so that I can move the project forward.

More to come soon!
    2004 X-10

186,000 miles per second - - - not just a good idea, it's the law.

Comment

• TCUMasterCraft
      TT Regular
      • May 2018

Yeah, I bet it has been a crazy summer in the medical field. Did you even have chance to use the boat this summer?

Comment

• musicmd
        TT Enthusiast
        • May 2012

Not once. We thought about taking it out after the carpeting was out in the main cabin, but it was 90-95 degrees out and we were worried about how hot the floor would become.
        2004 X-10

Comment

• musicmd
          TT Enthusiast
          • May 2012

Quick update. COVID is surging here in Wisconsin, which has gobbled up free time this Summer. I did get all of the old carpeting out (that is visible, at least) except for the back bunks. Unfortunately, there is still a lot of shredded carpet back there, especially starboard side, so I'm going to finish removing the carpet, even though it will require taking the ballast tanks out.

Taking out each of those tanks looks pretty straightforward - - - does anyone have experience with this?

The other update is that I ended up removing all of the vinyl parts from the boat. I started taking some of them out to make it easier to get into the bunks but then decided this would be the time to replace all of the vinyl as there are a lot of cracks in this 2004. I am figuring out how to get them to the Upholstery Shop so they can make new skins as I work to replace carpeting over the Winter.

This is a much bigger project than I expected, but I'm getting excited to see what the final product is with new flooring and vinyl throughout.

Stay safe and healthy, everyone.
          2004 X-10

Comment

• 73blue
            TT Enthusiast
            • May 2010

I had to cut the hoses on the tanks to get them loose, and take out all the dividers around the motor because IIRC you have to turn them at a weird angle to get them to fit out the hatch. Also, I would recommend leaving the hard tanks out and going ahead and plumbing some 750#bags in there instead.

Comment

• JohnE
              Super Moderator
              • Jan 2006

I missed this thread until now. I agree with one of the first posts - this could have been much worse. A mother racoon protecting her babies can get ugly quickly. I can't "prove it" but as I was reading the initial posts I was thinking "how do you know the coons are out of the boat."

But with that said, it's a great opportunity to refurb the interior. It's a lot of work, but it will be worth it, I'm guessing. Good luck. I don't have any tips that will help that haven't been mentioned.
              Prior boats - (3) X14's, (3) Prostars, and a Tristar.

Comment

• waterlogged882
                MC Master Poster
                • Dec 2004

Originally posted by JohnE View Post
                I don't have any tips that will help that haven't been mentioned.
                Call in the coon hunters?

93 190
                (safe click)
                John 14:6
                (safe click)

Comment

• musicmd
                  TT Enthusiast
                  • May 2012

Originally posted by 73blue View Post
                  I had to cut the hoses on the tanks to get them loose, and take out all the dividers around the motor because IIRC you have to turn them at a weird angle to get them to fit out the hatch. Also, I would recommend leaving the hard tanks out and going ahead and plumbing some 750#bags in there instead.
                  Thanks for the recommendations. I'm intrigued by your suggestion.

What would be the benefit of switching to 750# bags? Do you have suggestions as to brand and model?

If I'm going to take them out anyway, I am open to replacing them with better options. I've just not read anything about this option. Thanks, in advance.
                  2004 X-10

Comment

• musicmd
                    TT Enthusiast
                    • May 2012

Originally posted by JohnE View Post
                    I missed this thread until now. I agree with one of the first posts - this could have been much worse. A mother racoon protecting her babies can get ugly quickly. I can't "prove it" but as I was reading the initial posts I was thinking "how do you know the coons are out of the boat."

But with that said, it's a great opportunity to refurb the interior. It's a lot of work, but it will be worth it, I'm guessing. Good luck. I don't have any tips that will help that haven't been mentioned.
                    It was pretty shocking to remove the panel covering the transom in an aft storage bunk and come face to face with a raccoon! I had the power washer gun in my other hand and actually sprayed the momma raccoon by sheer reflex as I jumped back. All of the coons were humanely caught and released live into the wild (6o miles away.)

Now, it's just the labor of removing everything and putting in new covering. Work related to the COVID-19 pandemic has caused this to drag on and on, but I'm now seeing the time in the near future when I can start putting everything back together with new floor/bunk coverings and new vinyl, and that is really exciting.

Thanks to all who have responded. I'm sure I'll need other opinions and advice as the project moves along.
                    2004 X-10

Comment

• musicmd
                      TT Enthusiast
                      • May 2012

Originally posted by waterlogged882 View Post
                      Call in the coon hunters?
                      I was thinking, "find a storage option which doesn't allow wildlife."

2004 X-10

Comment

• 73blue
                        TT Enthusiast
                        • May 2010

Originally posted by musicmd View Post
                        Thanks for the recommendations. I'm intrigued by your suggestion.

What would be the benefit of switching to 750# bags? Do you have suggestions as to brand and model?

If I'm going to take them out anyway, I am open to replacing them with better options. I've just not read anything about this option. Thanks, in advance.
                        I think the factory hard tanks are only 250# each. So you are getting quite a bit more weight obviously. I also added the v-shaped bow ballast bag under the front seats. You can plumb these bags into your existing pump system so there's no fooling with additional plumbing. The extra weight really helps your wakeboard wake and you can easily surf with a suckgate of some type.

Wakemakers has a tool on their website to put in the boat model and year and they will send you the correct equipment.

Comment

• musicmd
                          TT Enthusiast
                          • May 2012

Originally posted by 73blue View Post
                          I think the factory hard tanks are only 250# each. So you are getting quite a bit more weight obviously. I also added the v-shaped bow ballast bag under the front seats. You can plumb these bags into your existing pump system so there's no fooling with additional plumbing. The extra weight really helps your wakeboard wake and you can easily surf with a suckgate of some type.

Wakemakers has a tool on their website to put in the boat model and year and they will send you the correct equipment.
                          Thanks for the reply. This is truly the most helpful forum I have ever experienced. Much appreciated!
                          2004 X-10

Comment

• prostar205
                            MC Maniac
                            • Aug 2004

Originally posted by musicmd View Post
                            Thanks for the reply. This is truly the most helpful forum I have ever experienced. Much appreciated!
                            Yes, you want to get rid of the factory hard tanks. They are worthless and so is the entire ballast system in the boat. I removed mine (2002 X30) and replaced with 750s on each side. I also removed the manifold (most restrictive part of the system) and drilled 2 additional holes in the bottom of the boat to feed each ballast bag (2 in the rear and the KGB) independently.

See the following link to the thread on my ballast makeover.

While you are at it, you may as well remove the ballast pumps and give them a good polishing. I do this once a year during the winter. Here is the thread for that.

Any other questions about our vintage (2001 - 2005) boats (X10 or X30), let me know. I've done just about everything imaginable to my boat.
                            2002, X30, L-18, Red Metal Flake (the possessed boat)

Comment

• musicmd
                              TT Enthusiast
                              • May 2012

Originally posted by prostar205 View Post
                              Yes, you want to get rid of the factory hard tanks. They are worthless and so is the entire ballast system in the boat. I removed mine (2002 X30) and replaced with 750s on each side. I also removed the manifold (most restrictive part of the system) and drilled 2 additional holes in the bottom of the boat to feed each ballast bag (2 in the rear and the KGB) independently.
                              <SNIP>
                              Any other questions about our vintage (2001 - 2005) boats (X10 or X30), let me know. I've done just about everything imaginable to my boat.
                              Thanks for the great information and for the links. This is definitely helpful.
                              2004 X-10

Comment

• hockeynut99
                                TT Regular
                                • Apr 2015

replace floor

My new floorClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0479.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	2408903

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0480.jpg