Anyone who can give advice on a HS backroll?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • M30
    TT Regular
    • Apr 2018

Anyone who can give advice on a HS backroll?

Hi

I have tried and tried landing a heelside backroll. Maybe around 100 attempts now.

This video linked is just one example, but it illustrates how I often land. I just tried a one wake here. A few points I am aware of are:

Not standing completely tall when leaving the wake
    Initiating the backroll a bit too early
    Handle too far from hips when landing?
    This occasion also casing the next wake, but would have fallen anyways

I hear that I should feel the linetension build up again when approaching the landing, but i feel like I always have a slack and slip out with the board perpendicular to the boat.

I am going quite slow so my falls would not hurt and damage me too much, as I would like to land a one wake before going all in and wake to wake.
    Should I work on wake to wake instead and increase for about 17 to 19-20 mph?

Any other advice? I will have one more session before I winterize the boat this weekend

Link to video:
    Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Any advice is welcome!
  • bcd
    MC Devotee
    • Jul 2011

You are definitely going early. You are practically sideways before you even leave the wake. How fast are you going? It could be that you are going slow enough that the water is just too "soft" for your landing and the board edge doesn't "stick". It also kind of looks like you're expecting a crash and don't try riding it out. You are getting all the way around, so it might not be a bad idea to just up the game and go all out wake to wake. Since you're getting all the way around, crashes shouldn't be that bad.

Standing tall off the wake and keeping the handle low and at your front hip should help keep you from slipping out. Disclaimer - raising the handle is what you need to do to slow the rotation if you are over rotating.

The thing that helped me the most with mine was to go into the trick thinking wait for the pop. Don't even think about the rotation until after you feel the pop off the wake.

Comment

• M30
      TT Regular
      • Apr 2018

Thanks

I have some better tries where I dont go way too early, but it is definately something i still do most times. I will try upping the speed a bit, I think it is around 17 now.

But yeah, landing is mostly sliding out with a feel that i almost land on my back rather than with the weight over my legs.

If I dare I will upp the game on saturday. I will have a foot surgery on wednesday, so if I break a knee my surgeon can have a look at any broken knees, also have a long winter to rehabilitate

How does the rope lenght affect do you think? if I go a bit faster and a bit longer? or is it easier with a shorter rope that gives more tension?

Comment

• sp00ky
        MC Devotee
        • Jul 2011

You are beyond just the inside step. Use a progressive edge, then load up the rope pull down on the handle as you throw it. Your roll is good,. Your cut sucks and you are getting slack in the rope. Stand tall, progressive edge, don't change anything on your cut I once you start it. Stay on edge and load the rope.
        You will be like the end of whip and when done right it's awesome. Then all the other inverts start to make sense.
        2010 X-15
        SOLD 1994 205
        2021 Nissan Titan
        2011 Pathfinder
        2016 Ford Flex
        3 kids, a wife, and a boat dog
        1 kid in the Army
        1 kid college grad
        1 left..

Comment

• Mastercraftdave
          MC Addict
          • Feb 2012

Also keep the rope closer to your front hip, when you bring the rope you the center of your body its opening you up to the wake and making you slip out. Sometimes its easier to let go with your back hand to help keep you from turning and keep the rope near your front hip.

Throw your head to the back tip of the board and keep your body straight instead of hunched over.

Comment

• M30
            TT Regular
            • Apr 2018

Thanks for more evaluations. So, sp00ky, are you saying that my bad cut that causes slack in the rope? So a better progressive edge and standing tall would be the way to make it?

I have heard people saying when you come around for the landing "you can lean back on the rope and ride it out", but as you see, I have slack and nothing to lean against.

I guess I will focus on getting a great pop before inverting and focus also on the approach

Comment

• Mastercraftdave
              MC Addict
              • Feb 2012

Originally posted by M30 View Post
              Thanks for more evaluations. So, sp00ky, are you saying that my bad cut that causes slack in the rope? So a better progressive edge and standing tall would be the way to make it?

I have heard people saying when you come around for the landing "you can lean back on the rope and ride it out", but as you see, I have slack and nothing to lean against.

I guess I will focus on getting a great pop before inverting and focus also on the approach
              You should cut out further and take a more progressive edge into the wake instead of being close to the wake and pulling really hard right by the wake. That is a big issue that I see as mentioned above.

Comment

• JSDeininger
                TT Newbie
                • Aug 2019

I think it looks pretty good, honestly. You're very backfoot-heavy on the take-off, and that's one reason why you're slipping out on the landing. Your carve flattens out before the wake, which is probably making you throw the roll a little early. The more times you do it, the slower the rotation will feel. Eventually, you'll be able to counteract less-than-ideal take-offs with handle manipulation and board control.

I'd just shorten the line a little more and go for it w2w. Casing the wake on the inside is a horrible (and dangerous) feeling. Go only as far out as you'd need to for a super-easy and controlled w2w jump. Just remember to build your edge the entire time so that you're carving through the wake on take-off. I look over my lead shoulder to initiate, and also to help follow the flip all the way around to spot the landing.

Hold the line with both hands until you're at least halfway through the flip. If you're going to over-rotate, then let the handle out a little to slow your rotation. You can get some aerial awareness by keeping your head up and looking for the shoreline on the way down. Shaun Murray said it well in one of his videos -- Think of the backroll landing as a runway, not a landing pad.

100 attempts is a lot, but I'm assuming this is your first progressive-edge invert (or maybe first-ever invert). You'll get it very soon, if you haven't yet already.

Comment

• jgraham37128
                  TT Regular
                  • Oct 2012

you looked very close to the wake when you started in. Look at Harley and the other riders, they get way out and then cut as straight into the wake as they can. I bet if you get 10ft farther out then come in hard you'll have it.

Comment

Working...
                  X