Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 09-22-2019, 03:56 PM
TT Regular

Boat: mastercraft 190
94 lt1 cutting out after 45 minutes.

Hi guys

Posted a few weeks about my 94 not starting. Finally got it running. Ripped out the dual fuel kit and repaired a few broken wires. I've cleaned the fuel system, fitted new lines and filters. The pump is new. Plugs and coil packs are also

Now it will run great for around 45 mins then it will start to miss. There's no warning lights on the dash and temp is good, maybe a little cool. If I leave it for 15mins it will run ok for another 10 then the same fault occurs.

I'm ready for fitting a 351!!!!

Any suggestions??
Old 09-22-2019, 07:32 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Prostar 190, 1993, Anniversary Limited.
Since the OEM fuel pump is not available, did you get a pump with the higher pressure needed for the LT1, did you have a old spare put back?
1993 25th Anniversary Limited ProStar 190, #17
Old 09-23-2019, 01:11 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: MC 1999 Maristar 230 sport
Make sure your tank is vented properly. Sounds like its pulling a vacuum on it. When it does this open the fuel cap and see if it corrects itself. Your tank vent may be plugged.
Old 09-23-2019, 09:07 AM
TT Regular

Boat: mastercraft 190
Thanks for replying.

So the pump I've fitted is the latest carter, not sure on the model but I'll check.

I don't have the original pump however the previous owner had the same symptoms. When he removed the old pump he said the inlet screen was blocked. He cleaned it out and re fitted it, the pump was noisy and the MIS fire after 2000 rpm made the boat in usable.

I boat the boat with this issue. I've cleaned out the fuel tank and replaced the lines however when I first used it there was no filter before the pump. After it stalled I removed the pump and the inlet screen was full of a sand like debris, I believe this to be aluminium oxide. I've now fitted an inlet filter so will try again this weekend. Also going round checking for bad grounds.
I've also hooked up to an outboard tank, hopefully this will solve the problem of debri.

Is it possible the new pump is cooked from the build up of debris in the inlet screen??
Old 09-23-2019, 08:29 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Prostar 190, 1993, Anniversary Limited.
The LT1 and TBI units had a filter AFTER the pump. The inlet screen is a very fine mesh screen that usually catches all debris before the pump - that being clogged, the symptoms are usually you can't get over 3000 rpm and if you do it goes down hill form there, not a misfire. MisFires are usually the result of a short of some kind, grounding of some kind, or a voltage drop...ie plug wires would be the first thing I'd check, especially where they go under the engine to the left side. Then I'd triple check the plug wires to the coil packs and make sure one is not wrong. I would check all my grounds, might even unplug the ECU main connector, check for any corrosion and plug it back in.
1993 25th Anniversary Limited ProStar 190, #17