Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Restorations and Refurbishments

Old 04-20-2021, 08:45 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: Mastercraft, prostar 2001 205v
agree unless you want to learn how to put a motor together and all the headaches this is a just get a rebuilt one it will probably be cheaper in the long run...

next you have to start digging into the transmission... i would do that now that will tell you how much more it may cost you...

Hopefully that checks out good...
Old 04-20-2021, 10:32 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 1992 prostar 205
I checked the transmission fluid, it was nice and red. From what I’ve been reading here, I should change the input and output seals, packing and cutlass bearing. Anything else? Oh, i did order a shortblock.
Old 04-20-2021, 10:38 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 99 Maristar 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyalki View Post
I checked the transmission fluid, it was nice and red. From what Iíve been reading here, I should change the input and output seals, packing and cutlass bearing. Anything else? Oh, i did order a shortblock.
If you are pulling the tranny with the motor, you should do the input / output seals. If leaving the tranny, maybe the input seal and get a good look at the damper plate when the motor is out. You can do the packing gland and cutlass bearing at other times if needed.
Old 04-22-2021, 01:16 PM
TT Regular

Here’s the damper plate. It looks ok to me, but I would appreciate others opinions as well. Is the red color an anti-corrosive coating? It doesn't look or feel like rust. I added some other pics as well.
Attached Images

Last edited by Johnnyalki; 04-22-2021 at 01:17 PM. Reason: More text
Old 04-22-2021, 04:40 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1998 Prostar 190 LT-1
Don't worry about the cutlass bearing right now. It's likely fine and can be dealt with later.

I'd order some shaft packing material (someone will chime in with the right size) so you have it. Once it's running it would suck to not get to use it because you're waiting on that. The Gore stuff isn't expensive and makes it pretty much zero maintenance.
Old 04-22-2021, 06:17 PM
TT Regular

Thanks to everyone that has posted so far. I really appreciate your input. Last night I went to the shipping place to pick up the new motor. Unfortunately, it was damaged in transit and I had to decline acceptance. The crankshaft was poking through the box. Iím attaching a pics from the day it was shipped and how it arrived. It looks like Iíll have more time to work on the transmission. Lead times are ridiculous right now.....
Attached Images

Old 04-22-2021, 08:02 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 93 190
Quote:
Here’s the damper plate. It looks ok to me, but I would appreciate others opinions as well. Is the red color an anti-corrosive coating? It doesn't look or feel like rust. I added some other pics as well.
While you are there and that deep into it. put a new one in place.

Sorry about the engine. Too bad the shipper didn't care enough to package it properly. That packaging is ridiculous.

I have seen engines shipped in plastic cases for this reason. Then return the core in the same case.

2 Peter 1:3Ė8
Old 04-22-2021, 08:38 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: NA
Quote:
Hereís the damper plate. It looks ok to me, but I would appreciate others opinions as well. Is the red color an anti-corrosive coating? It doesn't look or feel like rust. I added some other pics as well.
I replaced mine this season, the springs were dancing around in there. SKIDIM has them. Unfortunately, I am probably looking at a tranny rebuild at the end of this season
Old 04-23-2021, 12:52 AM
TT Regular

Mine only has 306 hours. It was well taken care of of until it got stored outside for too many years.......

Last edited by Johnnyalki; 04-23-2021 at 11:16 AM. Reason: Error
Old 04-24-2021, 02:19 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: '96 205 TBI
I'd replace it, just to be sure.

I didn't replace mine when I did an engine swap (looked OK, didn't rattle, springs tight, aligned it before tightening fully etc etc) it started ticking within a few hours of use. On the plus side, I learnt you can do a plate swap in about 2 hours with a helper.