Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Storage / Winterization

Old 09-22-2019, 08:41 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2001 X-Star, LTR 330hp
01 X-Star LTR 330 Winterization.

Hello all,
First time winterizing my new to me boat. I did this so far;
-Ran engine to operating temp.
-Changed engine oil and filter and well as the transmission oil.
-Drained the exhaust manifolds, block, muffler, J-hose, and backflushed the trans cooler.
-Hooked everything back up and sucked up 6 gallons of pink anti freeze.
-Drained all the anti freeze out again using the above listed method.
-I then fogged the intake with 3 quick shots of fogging oil while sucking up another 6 gallons of pink antifreeze and left it in.
-Fogged each cylinder.

Did I miss anything? I don’t have a shower or heater.

Two questions I have are;

-Should I drain the exhaust manifolds by leaving the hoses unhooked for the winter or just leave it?

- I read that the LTR has a “dry” intake. Did I screw something up with that fogging oil? What does that mean?

Thanks everyone!
Old 09-22-2019, 10:03 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: MasterCraft 197 Pro Tournament Team
Send a message via Yahoo to Fullpass
Sounds as if you did an excellent job, double duty on the pink stuff…winterizing the engine...The fogging of the intake is not necessary, but won't hurt, The LTR is fuel injected, in the day of engines with carburetors, oil was poured down the carburetors Venturi which lubricated the upper intake, valves and upper cylinders as while the engine was running just above idle til the motor stalled. Sounds as if you pulled the plugs and fogged each cylinder…great, well done. Maybe new plugs and a air filter.

Suggested to change the raw water pump impeller every year…me every two years.

Note ~ just making sure you drained each side of the block, one side you half to take out the knock sensor, other side brass drain plug...

Last edited by Fullpass; 09-22-2019 at 10:18 PM.
Old 09-23-2019, 12:00 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2001 X-Star, LTR 330hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullpass View Post
Sounds as if you did an excellent job, double duty on the pink stuff…winterizing the engine...The fogging of the intake is not necessary, but won't hurt, The LTR is fuel injected, in the day of engines with carburetors, oil was poured down the carburetors Venturi which lubricated the upper intake, valves and upper cylinders as while the engine was running just above idle til the motor stalled. Sounds as if you pulled the plugs and fogged each cylinder…great, well done. Maybe new plugs and a air filter.

Suggested to change the raw water pump impeller every year…me every two years.

Note ~ just making sure you drained each side of the block, one side you half to take out the knock sensor, other side brass drain plug...
Thanks, it’s much more detailed than my old boat with closed cooling. I drained both sides of the block. Just curious, do you use the pink stuff? And do you open the exhaust drain lines again or leave it connected?
Old 09-24-2019, 06:28 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: MasterCraft 197 Pro Tournament Team
Send a message via Yahoo to Fullpass
Yes, I use the Pink stuff, Draining the exhaust lines again, is not a bad idea after the pink stuff, if anything for reassurance and better for the lake.
Old 09-24-2019, 04:29 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2002 Prostar 205V
I have the same boat 2002 Prostar 205V, Last year I winterized it dry instead of using the pink antifreeze. I used antifreeze with the last boat, but I liked how it worked winterizing it dry last year. Thoughts on winterizing dry vs. wet?
Old 09-24-2019, 07:36 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '99 205v
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackpineWakesurf View Post
I have the same boat 2002 Prostar 205V, Last year I winterized it dry instead of using the pink antifreeze. I used antifreeze with the last boat, but I liked how it worked winterizing it dry last year. Thoughts on winterizing dry vs. wet?
I’ve done antifreeze in the past on my ‘99 205v. Now I just dry block. Haven’t had any issues. Just easier to do.
Old 09-24-2019, 10:09 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2002 Xstar
Dry block every year, no issues, way easier and cheaper.
Less mess also