Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 01-23-2019, 02:41 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2005 Chaparral 256 ssi
X-55 Surf Tabs DIY/Design

I have a '12 x55 and am adding additional pumps for additional bags beyond the factory ballast(1k each locker, 600lb each side under seats). Last season, I just used the sumo pump to fill the two rear locker bags.

The boat currently has the factory surf tabs, and in conjunction with a nauticurl, it is surfable; however, I'd like a firmer more adjustable wake.

Thus, thinking of having some tabs fabricated and have seen some posts of folks who have done this.

If you have, what was the outcome and what is your design?
Old 01-23-2019, 03:03 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2016 X30, 85 S&S
Go surf assist

LONE STAR MASTERBASH 2019!!!!!!

https://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk...d.php?t=100065

2016 X30-Wetsounds galore
2017 Misty Harbor Tri-Toon
1985 S&S- Gone but never forgotten
Old 01-23-2019, 04:01 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2005 Chaparral 256 ssi
Thanks for the recommendation but not currently planning on spending $4k.
Old 01-24-2019, 08:54 AM
TT Regular

Boat: Mastercraft xstar 2005 mcx 5.7
You might check out Infinitywave.net. I’ve been seeing some things on their product and it’s a fraction of the cost.
Old 01-24-2019, 09:47 AM
MC Addict

Boat: no Boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackxstar View Post
You might check out Infinitywave.net. I’ve been seeing some things on their product and it’s a fraction of the cost.
$1800 for Tabs only.
Would be interesting to see results on the X55 from one tab to another.
I think that a Suck gate only on that boat is a good as anything
Only $100

2015 X20 SS GEN2 6.0
2016 G21 Coastal
2014 X46 GEN2 7.4
2014 X30 GEN2 5.7
2006 VRS200 SS 5.7
2013 X30 GEN2 6.2
2013 Yamaha 242LS
Old 01-24-2019, 10:58 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2003 X-Series MCX
You can buy tabs from Lenco individually. I looked at fabbing tabs and the cost for material was the same as you could buy the complete tab from lenco
Old 01-24-2019, 11:40 AM
TT Regular

Boat: Mastercraft, X-30, 2012, 5.7 ILMOR
If you're interested in going the DIY route, wake garage has several posts about DIY tabs and surf gates and some good references.

It's absolutely possible to do a DIY retrofit of different tab surfaces into the '12 system and have it work pretty well.

The '12 "surf system" automatically wants to list (a.k.a. roll) the boat with ballast so be careful if you add a separate ballast system for your bags in the rear lockers over the tanks as you can end up with an empty tank and full bag (...then a cracked tank) if you're not paying attention to what the preset is doing.

GEN1 presets/controls also don't provide as many options as the newer GEN2, but you can make it work.

You're going to likely have to modify mounting locations for the upper actuator bracket as well as the hinge so prepare for filling / gel coating holes in the transom. Good idea to revisit the suck gate you have if this isn't something you can DIY or would be willing to pay for.

I'm not certain what actuators the GEN1 X55 uses, but you might also have to swap those for different stroke lengths to achieve your desired stowed and deployed angles. The hulls that are larger/heavier and with larger dead rise angles seems to need different stowed and deployed angles to achieve the proper performance (my comment below about tab shape also plays a role). Depending on what actuators you do have, you may run into a quirk where the programmed deploy and stow run time for the actuator isn't sufficient meaning you have to manually raise or deploy with the switch. Model year '12 control systems aren't known for their programming adjustability as you've already found out with ballast pump timers, so no easy work around here besides making your own control system or using the manual controls to ensure you're at the desired stow/deploy angle.

Regarding your decision on tab shape; from my perspective most of the tab style surf systems all go after two things:

1) generate just the right amount of yaw (think drag on the non surf side achieved by slowing water down or making it change direction)

2) generate just the right amount of roll (think lift on one side of the boat via flow re-direction similar to a standard trim tab or an aileron on an airplane, again done on the non surf side)

You can achieve both of these effects with different tab geometries and features as shown by the success of GEN2, GSA, and many of the other tab style devices. But they typically share roughly similar characteristics when you consider what the water flowing under the boat interacts with (water flow is directed down and outboard and with Newton's third law that means the boat begins to roll and yaw).

Varying the amounts of yaw and roll seems to be what gives tabs systems the adjustability edge over gate style systems which only really produce a constant amount of yaw (albeit somewhat adjustable based on placement for suck gates). Too much though and you can start to degrade the performance.

Whatever tab design you end up with you are going to have a fairly detailed project ahead of you to make it look and perform like any other OEM system would. As others have already mentioned; shelling out the cash for an out of the box solution (GSA, WakeWorx, Infinity Wave) or accepting the performance of a suck gate are also options to consider before diving head first into this one.

Good luck!
Old 09-09-2019, 07:09 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2006 x-80
did you ever end up getting your x-55 to surf better? I have a 2009 without any tabs, and I'm trying to figure out the best way to make it surf. I've got additional ballast bags in the lockers plumbed into the factory system, and it makes a pretty decent wave on the "regular" surf side, without a suck gate. I have not been able to get it to make a decent wave on the "goofy" side