• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Eckie
    TT Enthusiast
    • Jun 2012

What's your max budget?

Sounds like you're leaning towards the X30 because it's "ready to go" with no work needed, but like the X2 more because it's newer. In reality, both boats appear to be 'water ready', you just don't like the colors of the X2.

If you did buy the X2, and had to pay to redo the wrap/remove it as well as redo the interior, you've got $30k into a 2007 with 600 hours.

Apples to apples, the X2 has a higher value and thus a better deal, even after you redo it, if you choose to. On average, most 07 X2's are selling in the high 30's/low 40's range, depending on variables.

Comment

• wakesurf6786
      TT Regular
      • Aug 2016

Originally posted by osmonet View Post
      Not sure what you mean by "headache." After all, you just drop off the cushions at a shop with a check for $5K and pick them up a month or so later. Sounds easy to me.
      It's not quite that simple, but yes I would be paying someone to do it. That would also mean dealing with cleaning up the gelcoat underneath and hoping there were no major issues there.

As it's been said, I may just make a lowball offer and see what they said. I think Thrall said it best when he said I should get it cheap enough to drowned out any buyer's remorse.

If I buy something like this I want to make damn sure I could sell it in a few years and not be out much.

Comment

• wakesurf6786
        TT Regular
        • Aug 2016

Originally posted by Eckie View Post
        What's your max budget?

Sounds like you're leaning towards the X30 because it's "ready to go" with no work needed, but like the X2 more because it's newer. In reality, both boats appear to be 'water ready', you just don't like the colors of the X2.

If you did buy the X2, and had to pay to redo the wrap/remove it as well as redo the interior, you've got $30k into a 2007 with 600 hours.

Apples to apples, the X2 has a higher value and thus a better deal, even after you redo it, if you choose to. On average, most 07 X2's are selling in the high 30's/low 40's range, depending on variables.
        I was initially looking at 98,99,2000 Maristars and then got to thinkging about the headache of adding towers, plumbing ballast, PP, etc... So I thought 2002-03 x-30 might fit the bill to avoid any more projects.

I've always liked the 06+ X-2's but they were out of my range. To answer your question my initial budget in my head was under 20K for a Maristar, but I'm starting to think a range of 25-30 could put me in a much better boat for my needs. (as mentioned 3 kids 8,6,3 just starting to learn watersports).

My wife thinks we should go with a cheaper Maristar, maybe forgo all the goodies, PP, tower and such and then when/if the kids like watersports upgrading in 3-5 years to something like the x-2.

My thinking is to just maybe spend the money now and enjoy this ugly x-2 for 4-5 years or more and sell it for not too much of a loss (assuming I can find someone that likes he ugly color scheme). I think I've decided at this point is just wouldn't be worth it to redo the interior again when this on is brand new. You don't buy a boat because its a wise financial decision right? You buy it to have fun with your family on the water. I think my wife's idea of fun is cheaper though, haha

Comment

• Eckie
          TT Enthusiast
          • Jun 2012

My first MC was an 06 X1. At the time of purchase, my kids were 9, 7 and 5, and they too, were just learning watersports. Using your same logic, I bought the X1 as a 'beginner' boat, figuring that I wouldn't need/care about all the extras (PP, extra ballast, etc).....

However, it didn't take us long to realize that we'd quickly outgrown our needs/wants -- kids took to wakeboarding and loved learning and doing it. I bought a boom to help them learn easily. The boat had MC cruise on it, but I quickly discovered I really wished I had PP. At that point, I realized that my next boat purchase would need to include everything I wanted (well, almost). This spring I sold the X1 and bought an X Star (don't regret it for one second).

That said -- hearing what you've said, I guarantee you that you'll regret buying a Maristar very quickly, based on my past experience. If you buy a boat without the options you want, you'll regret it, and you also won't want to spend thousands later on things like tower, PP, ballast, etc.

If I were you, I'd stick to your adapted budget of $30k, as it will open up a lot of doors for you. And, buying in the fall, you'll see the best prices of the year.

Comment

• gweaver
            MC Devotee
            • Aug 2011

Consider this- do you trailer your boat to the lake or are you on waterfront? If you trailer, keep in mind not only will you have your family and watersports gear, but you'll also have a bag of snacks, cooler, towels and whatever else you need for a day on the water. That can add up to quite a bit of stuff. The X30 will have more storage, and more room when your friends tag along for the day.
            G

Comment

• tmothy07
              MC Devotee
              • Apr 2017

Originally posted by wakesurf6786 View Post
              I was initially looking at 98,99,2000 Maristars and then got to thinkging about the headache of adding towers, plumbing ballast, PP, etc... So I thought 2002-03 x-30 might fit the bill to avoid any more projects.
              We bought a used '99 MariStar 230 VRS for 20k flat, 530 hours with a tower, swivel racks and Exile sound system already installed. No PP, but that just means ya gotta learn to drive your boat . We ended up buying some fat sacs for the lockers and belly. We surfed it a bit in the beginning, but pretty much 99% wakeboarding 1% slalom skiing now. She ain't perfect, but we love her none the less! Food for thought if the price is a concern!

Tim
              Ohio State Engineering - Go Bucks
              1998 MC MariStar 225VRS
              1995 MC ProStar 205

Comment

• osmonet
                TT Regular
                • Mar 2015

What's your max budget?

Well said by the fellow Maple Grove Guy!!!

Comment

• wakesurf6786
                  TT Regular
                  • Aug 2016

My first MC was an 06 X1. At the time of purchase, my kids were 9, 7 and 5, and they too, were just learning watersports. Using your same logic, I bought the X1 as a 'beginner' boat, figuring that I wouldn't need/care about all the extras (PP, extra ballast, etc).....

However, it didn't take us long to realize that we'd quickly outgrown our needs/wants -- kids took to wakeboarding and loved learning and doing it. I bought a boom to help them learn easily. The boat had MC cruise on it, but I quickly discovered I really wished I had PP. At that point, I realized that my next boat purchase would need to include everything I wanted (well, almost). This spring I sold the X1 and bought an X Star (don't regret it for one second).

That said -- hearing what you've said, I guarantee you that you'll regret buying a Maristar very quickly, based on my past experience. If you buy a boat without the options you want, you'll regret it, and you also won't want to spend thousands later on things like tower, PP, ballast, etc.

If I were you, I'd stick to your adapted budget of $30k, as it will open up a lot of doors for you. And, buying in the fall, you'll see the best prices of the year.
                  Good insight, I've thought that myself and vocalized it to my wife. I think she is unsure how much we will use the boat and how much the kids will do. I think like you and feel we'd outgrow it quickly. I DO NOT want to be adding towers,PP or other upgrades. I have enough projects as is.

Comment

• wakesurf6786
                    TT Regular
                    • Aug 2016

Originally posted by gweaver View Post
                    Consider this- do you trailer your boat to the lake or are you on waterfront? If you trailer, keep in mind not only will you have your family and watersports gear, but you'll also have a bag of snacks, cooler, towels and whatever else you need for a day on the water. That can add up to quite a bit of stuff. The X30 will have more storage, and more room when your friends tag along for the day.
                    G
                    We live literally 5 minutes from a public ramp here in Knoxville.
                    Trailering obviously for launch and as mentioned before the single axle isn't ideal but I'm not going far.

Room is needed we will have other families with us. From what I can tell both are fairly roomey. I think the x-30 is rated for 12 instead of 11.

Comment

• wakesurf6786
                      TT Regular
                      • Aug 2016

Originally posted by tmothy07 View Post
                      We bought a used '99 MariStar 230 VRS for 20k flat, 530 hours with a tower, swivel racks and Exile sound system already installed. No PP, but that just means ya gotta learn to drive your boat . We ended up buying some fat sacs for the lockers and belly. We surfed it a bit in the beginning, but pretty much 99% wakeboarding 1% slalom skiing now. She ain't perfect, but we love her none the less! Food for thought if the price is a concern!

Sharp boat, malibuesque, haha. I am on that's all about Value and Utility. I could totally dig a setup like that. I do really want to surf a lot so that could be problematic from what I've read. Plumbed ballast would be a big plus.

Comment

• tmothy07
                        MC Devotee
                        • Apr 2017

Originally posted by wakesurf6786 View Post
                        Sharp boat, malibuesque, haha. I am on that's all about Value and Utility. I could totally dig a setup like that. I do really want to surf a lot so that could be problematic from what I've read. Plumbed ballast would be a big plus.
                        It's surfable, but not if you want to do it a lot, definitely stick to where you're already looking. Yeah, the silhouette is definitely bu-ish, but I didn't pick the tower hahahaha
                        Tim
                        Ohio State Engineering - Go Bucks
                        1998 MC MariStar 225VRS
                        1995 MC ProStar 205

Comment

• kscrib
                          MC Devotee
                          • Jun 2010

The ability to predict the future decisions/actions of your children would be very helpful here. I can see both sides of the conversations that you and your wife have.

What I have seen in my many years of boating, is that families the make the effort to boat frequently and do the things the kids like often, successfully instill the love of boating in their kids. My parents did it for me. And we have done it for our son. Our son drives 250 miles one way every weekend of the summer from college to come boating with us. We started him boating around 9 years of age. We did things he loved (tubing, coving) - and made it fun for him. Yes, we tubed - a lot. We let him learn at his speed (did not force him to try things he was not comfortable with). We strongly encouraged bringing his friends. It paid off for us!

Some kids don't love the water. Ours always loved to swim from age 6 weeks on), so that made the water part easy.

Our first boat was an '06 X-30. It was fantastic. We used it for 10 years and my wife dang near cried when we sold it. The X30 has tons of storage. You can surf behind it (even without gen 2 or after market ballast). It holds lots of people and is very comfortable. It is a fabulous all purpose family boat.
                          Last edited by kscrib; 09-25-2017, 04:08 PM. Reason: because I seem to only proofread AFTER posting

Comment

• LittleFuss
                            TT Enthusiast
                            • Mar 2012

having an ugly boat just isn't worth the savings to me.
                            2004 MariStar 230 VRS with X Package
                            Come find us on 'da Bayou

Comment

• jesam
                              MC Fanatic
                              • May 2015

Originally posted by LittleFuss View Post
                              having an ugly boat just isn't worth the savings to me.
                              Agree. No way I could spend hard earned money on that boat.

Comment

• wakesurf6786
                                TT Regular
                                • Aug 2016

Originally posted by kscrib View Post
                                The ability to predict the future decisions/actions of your children would be very helpful here. I can see both sides of the conversations that you and your wife have.

What I have seen in my many years of boating, is that families the make the effort to boat frequently and do the things the kids like often, successfully instill the love of boating in their kids. My parents did it for me. And we have done it for our son. Our son drives 250 miles one way every weekend of the summer from college to come boating with us. We started him boating around 9 years of age. We did things he loved (tubing, coving) - and made it fun for him. Yes, we tubed - a lot. We let him learn at his speed (did not force him to try things he was not comfortable with). We strongly encouraged bringing his friends. It paid off for us!

Some kids don't love the water. Ours always loved to swim from age 6 weeks on), so that made the water part easy.

Our first boat was an '06 X-30. It was fantastic. We used it for 10 years and my wife dang near cried when we sold it. The X30 has tons of storage. You can surf behind it (even without gen 2 or after market ballast). It holds lots of people and is very comfortable. It is a fabulous all purpose family boat.
                                Thanks for the insight, I think you nailed it. My wife's concern and mine too is how much will it get used? My thinking is just like yours, even if we go out to just swim or tube, the kids will love it (my parents take us out several times a year already and they love it).

I think eventually they would have fun with the other water sports as well. Bringing friends would be a plus for a fun time.

Comment

Working...
                                X