Can a bad MDC cause the alarm to go off?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Alqpoe
    TT Newbie
    • Mar 2012

Can a bad MDC cause the alarm to go off?

Quick question for you guys. I was on a trip the other day and the alarm went off. I shut down the engine and checked voltage, oil levels, heat, and visual engine inspection. After everything was good, I turned on the engine again and checked pressure. It seemed good so I started driving again. After 10 minutes the alarm went on again.
    I took it to my mechanic. He did a compression check and everything was good. He checked for codes and he said a couple came back that were voltage related. After reading on here about faulty connections and such with the MDC it could cause issues with gauges. My tach was spinning around and pointing straight down a lot of the times. So I need to check the voltage reading on the back now.
    But I was wondering if anyone knew if a faulty MDC could cause the alarm to go off?
    Thanks in advance
  • tommurtha
    MC Devotee
    • Jul 2014

I've had a bad voltage gauge connection cause an alarm. One of the connector wires came loose. Or you gauge might be bad. What was it reading. In the last week my tach went bad which also caused my gas gauge to pin. Swapped out the tach and all was well.

Comment

• curver900
      MC Maniac
      • Aug 2013

the oil pressure sending unit can be the cause of ills and buzzers...

Comment

• Alqpoe
        TT Newbie
        • Mar 2012

Thanks for the fast responses.

tommurtha-What was it reading?
        It was all over the place. With key in it would wind backwards. You can hear the geared motor winding. Then when the engine starts it usually went 1,000 or so RPM higher than actual. So as I would increase the throttle the gauge would go from 2,200 to full pegged out. Which is straight down. Or 6 O' Clock.
        My gas gauge has never worked since I purchased the boat 7 years ago. My mechanic said it's most likely the sending unit which is known to only last 3 years on average. So I've never changed it.

curver900-The Oil gauge was reading 40psi at idle which is normal for me but stopped going much higher when I know it should have been as I increased the throttle. Which leads me to think my MDC is bad or at least getting a bad/poor connection or voltage.

Comment

• tommurtha
          MC Devotee
          • Jul 2014

as in my latest example one bad gauge or bad connection can and probably will effect another gauge. I've learned a couple of things on the way

both my in line fuses had very light black corrosion /debris.. check yours and clean them

The first troubleshoot should be disconnected one gauge at a time to see if anything changes. Reconnect and move to the next gauge. Only 1 gauge disconnected at a time

Mine is a 2003 with the larger mmdc.

My bad tach was doing the same and caused the gas gauge to peg beyond full

Comment

• curver900
            MC Maniac
            • Aug 2013

look for grounds... and check them...

My money is on a battery... take it out and have it load tested...after you buy a new one clean all the connections including the ground to the block...

also when you have it running check the voltage the alternator is supplying it should be 14v... if not you may need a new one of those....

Comment

Working...
            X