Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Restorations and Refurbishments

Old 03-30-2021, 03:18 AM
TT Regular

Boat: Mastercraft Pro Star 190 1993
93 'Pro Star repair

Hello folks

The original plan was to completely restore my 93 Pro Star this winter. As it goes, a lot got in the way...
After I had to replace my cylinder heads this winter, I don't have much time to finally ring in the season.

I decided to do only the bare minimum for this season.

1. Replace exhaust flaps
The old ones were leaking. In addition, the previous owner tried to seal the leak with silicone. Unfortunately unsuccessful and cheap solution.
The chrome exhaust flaps at skidim were unfortunately sold out, so I decided to install the right ones from Vetus.
Unfortunately I had to expand the existing hole from 76mm to 96mm for the right size. I hate drilling holes in a ship's hull ...

2. Replace all fuel hoses (year 92/93)
In progress

3. Antifouling
Whole underwater sanded and sealed with VC17. Don't worry, the copper color changes to a nice gray in a few weeks after contact with water.

4. Oil / spark plugs / fuel filter
In progress

5. Impeller
Done

6. Convert to 2 battery setup
In progress

7. Replace blower hoses
In progress

8. Renewing the teak platform
In progress

9. Change alternator
Done

Now to my question:
Is it normal for my blower to suck in air from outside the boat and blow it into the engine compartment? Shouldn't he be sucking the mixture out of the engine compartment?

I just think, that this way the ignitable mixture is distributed more in the bilge room.

For everyone (like me) who are more interested in pictures than text. Here are some pictures.

Update follows
Attached Images

Old 03-30-2021, 05:33 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 93 190
Blower should ventilate (potential gasoline fumes) from the inside of the confined space (under the engine cover) to the outside.

With the OEM blower, it should be mounted on the starboard side of the engine. The fan blades should be on the forward side (facing the wind screen). Put a little lubricant on the fan blade bearings for good measures. Helps it to keep going without restriction.

FYI...I see a 4010 Holley carburetor (if not mistaken). Those can be a little precarious from time to time so take that into consideration when tuning the engine.

A nice looking work in progress.

2 Peter 1:38

Last edited by waterlogged882; 03-30-2021 at 05:44 AM.
Old 03-30-2021, 06:37 AM
TT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterlogged882 View Post
Blower should ventilate (potential gasoline fumes) from the inside of the confined space (under the engine cover) to the outside.

With the OEM blower, it should be mounted on the starboard side of the engine. The fan blades should be on the forward side (facing the wind screen). Put a little lubricant on the fan blade bearings for good measures. Helps it to keep going without restriction.

FYI...I see a 4010 Holley carburetor (if not mistaken). Those can be a little precarious from time to time so take that into consideration when tuning the engine.

A nice looking work in progress.

Thank you for your quick answer. Its the original Blower, but it was mounted the wrong way. The blades were backwards.

Yes, its a 4010. Maybe I will change that next winter. Till now it worked fine.

Next Question:
In my opinion, this trailer is not the right one. I bought the ps with trailer. But when I looking to other ps owners, my trailer looks not the same.
Its a typical US trailer with folding drawbar. Sadly not allowed to drive that in Switzerland because of the missing breaks and the folding drawbar.
Any idea for which Mastercraft that trailer was made for?
Attached Images

Old 03-30-2021, 07:47 AM
MC Addict

Boat: 2016 200 Sport Nautique
That trailer wasn't made for an inboard at all. The correct inboard trailer for that boat would have a prop guard and bunks / framing that would extend all the way to the transom. In short IMO this boat is not being supported correctly on the trailer and I personally would not pull the boat on that trailer other than to move it around the yard. I probably wouldn't even store on it do to the lack of support on the rear portion of the hull.

From my experience it looks like a cheap I/O or outboard trailer for an aluminum or small fiberglass boat. The coupler while technically rated at 3500 lbs is on the light side as well for your rig. A ProStar like yours is going to come in dry at about 2500 lbs, add the trailer at say 500 lbs, then add gas, gear and anything else and you're right at total rating. That is not where you want to be. I can't tell for sure but those look to be 14" wheels. Typically on a single axle trailer you'll have 15" to support the weight better. I would also take a look at the axle and see what the weight rating is for that. I'm guessing that will be marginal as well.
Old 03-30-2021, 09:20 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 93 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissCraft1291 View Post
Thank you for your quick answer. It‘s the original Blower, but it was mounted the wrong way. The blades were backwards.

Yes, it‘s a 4010. Maybe I will change that next winter. Till now it worked fine.

Next Question:
In my opinion, this trailer is not the right one. I bought the ps with trailer. But when I looking to other ps owners, my trailer looks not the same.
It‘s a typical US trailer with folding drawbar. Sadly not allowed to drive that in Switzerland because of the missing breaks and the folding drawbar.
Any idea for which Mastercraft that trailer was made for?
bt2 is correct. That is not the OEM trailer nor does the boat fit on that trailer correctly. That looks like a 16' Shorelander trailer.

Here is my trailer for the 93 Prostar 190 (14" wheels). Bunks are 12 feet long from the rear to 12' forward. I do not have a folding tongue, as my garage bays are 40' deep.

Attached Images

2 Peter 1:38
Old 03-30-2021, 09:28 AM
TT Regular

Thanks bturner2

I was already thinking that something could not be right.
In my opinion, the trailer is too short and there is no space in the middle for the fins and prop.
Another project for rainy days ...

Fortunately, it's only a 2 minute drive to the lake.
Old 03-30-2021, 09:33 AM
TT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterlogged882 View Post
bt2 is correct. That is not the OEM trailer nor does the boat fit on that trailer correctly. That looks like a 16' Shorelander trailer.

Here is my trailer for the 93 Prostar 190 (14" wheels). Bunks are 12 feet long from the rear to 12' forward. I do not have a folding tongue, as my garage bays are 40' deep.

Great! Thanks for sharing your pictures waterlogged. Mine looks totally different.
That explains the total price of 10K ...
Old 03-30-2021, 10:30 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 93 Ski Centurion Falcon
Looks like you have a great boat. You'll love it. That trailer that it's on though...scares me. Good luck. Maybe you'll be able to find an inboard trailer that is more suitable.
Old 04-02-2021, 02:56 AM
TT Regular

Short Teak update.
Attached Images

Old 04-08-2021, 11:57 AM
TT Regular

Good evening

Unfortunately winter came back and brought us some snow
Not very pleasant to work outside.

Fuel hoses are replaced. At first I thought, there are several lines running on the port side, that these were the fuel return lines. But when I looked more closely, I noticed that a valve was installed in the compartment on the port side.
In addition, two screws were missing and the whole thing was assembled without love ...
I removed the valve and laid the new hose straight through the bilge as normal.
For me, this valve doesn't look like an original mastercraft part.

Does anyone of you know whether a fuel valve is originally installed?
Attached Images