Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Restorations and Refurbishments

Old 03-24-2019, 11:51 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1981 MasterCraft 351W slot
glad you updated your cool build
Old 09-04-2019, 09:41 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1985 19Skier
Wow, what a fun read and a great renovation!
Old 06-04-2021, 08:13 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft Prostar 190 1997 ,with steyr 236 HP Diesel
Living MasterCraft , it has been more then 10 years had kept this boat , now it is time to make some maintenance, the swimming platform finally retired , making a new one , flat surface ,
no grills , I am not sure how this will effect the wave or cruising , any ideas ???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-04-2021, 08:14 AM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiteklan View Post
Living MasterCraft , it has been more then 10 years had kept this boat , now it is time to make some maintenance, the swimming platform finally retired , making a new one , flat surface ,
no grills , I am not sure how this will effect the wave or cruising , any ideas ???

Original peace

Old 06-04-2021, 09:33 AM
TT Regular

Boat: Mastercraft Pro Star 190 1993
Hi Kiteklan

I just stumbled upon your thread. I've spent the past few hours reading the entire thread.

Olağanüstü!

Would I say in your language.

I am now also considering whether the next engine should be a diesel.
Here in Switzerland, a liter of petrol from a marina gas station costs 1.90CHF (1.74Euro / 2.11$)
In canisters from the regular (cheaper) petrol station is prohibited for inboard engines due to the risk of spilling into the lake...

I am looking forward to your experience with the new swim platform. I think that when the ship is swinging in the water, quite a lot of forces will act on your platform, as the water cannot pass through the openings.
Old 06-04-2021, 10:57 AM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissCraft1291 View Post
Hi Kiteklan

I just stumbled upon your thread. I've spent the past few hours reading the entire thread.

Olağanüstü!

Would I say in your language.

I am now also considering whether the next engine should be a diesel.
Here in Switzerland, a liter of petrol from a marina gas station costs 1.90CHF (1.74Euro / 2.11$)
In canisters from the regular (cheaper) petrol station is prohibited for inboard engines due to the risk of spilling into the lake...

I am looking forward to your experience with the new swim platform. I think that when the ship is swinging in the water, quite a lot of forces will act on your platform, as the water cannot pass through the openings.

Thanks for the compliment, I found the Diesel engine very economic compared with gas but on health wise my doctor friends warned me about the fumes of diesel is more harmful then gas, I think living in any Metropol around the world ;you inhale more diesel then any joy activity in water. This is another discussion.
My experience with the boat was (as you said) in my language “magnificent” , i had enjoyed this boat so many hours with my family.

Steyr 236 ,246 inline 6 cylinder engines are widely used on big boats but not on a prostar, it occupies so much space where I need to enlarge the engine compartment. There is so much torque on the engine and a very big propeller , ratio of gearbox is 2:1 , made 20-30knots cruising and 42knots top speed.

Those years , i had enjoyed so much rebuilding this boat and it took around 2 months max renovation cause I did not have so much time.

These days I am looking for a bargain boat where I can start a new project .

About the swimming platform , I think you are right but I can always add grills later.

Old 06-04-2021, 11:32 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2021 Prostar
WOW! What a great project, I just spent my morning reading through this with a coffee. Now that's impressive!

The platform looks great and should not be an issue with out the slots. The new prostars do not have slotted platforms and look more like your new one.
Old 06-04-2021, 12:41 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 93 Ski Centurion Falcon
Many tournament ski boats come with solid wood platforms. You shouldn't experience any negative performance from going with the solid one as a replacement. I want to close mine up too. Not having the slats acts as an exhaust fume barrier (although not much of one) when the boat is idling.
Old 06-04-2021, 04:42 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorse View Post
WOW! What a great project, I just spent my morning reading through this with a coffee. Now that's impressive!

The platform looks great and should not be an issue with out the slots. The new prostars do not have slotted platforms and look more like your new one.

Thanks, hope there are usefull information.
I think the platform without slots looks better. Original one would last more 10 years if I had maintained properly which is lighter and had more workmanship.

Old 06-04-2021, 04:44 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timr71 View Post
Many tournament ski boats come with solid wood platforms. You shouldn't experience any negative performance from going with the solid one as a replacement. I want to close mine up too. Not having the slats acts as an exhaust fume barrier (although not much of one) when the boat is idling.

Fume barrier !! Excellent point, you are absolutely right slots bypassed the fumes most of the time on low speed and idling. Thanks...

Tags
diesel engine, renovation, repair, steyr