Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Towers

Old 08-12-2015, 02:13 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1999 Maristar 210 w/Tower
Help adding speakers to ND Tower

I have a '99 Maristar. In 2003, the original owner put on a ND Tower with wakeboard racks but no speakers or lights.

I was looking at adding some speakers, but am not sure exactly how they attach and get wired. It appears that there are 4 set screws on top but few other holes for wiring. The light on top is wired, but it appears only 2 wires are there, so no wires for speakers.

If I add speakers, I presume they clamp to the rear bar of the tower. So, I guess I wire up to the front bar where the set screws are. Then, wire comes out of the set screws? Or do I drill holes in the back bar and bring the wires directly into the speaker cans?

Also wondering why there are slots in the flatter parts that connect the front/rear bars of the tower?

Any suggestions are appreciated.

I read Kyles thread about adding a ND tower to his 190, but he had no pictures or description of fishing the wires.

Thanks.
Attached Images

Old 08-12-2015, 02:18 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2003 Mastercraft X-30
The stock speakers had two bolts that went through those slits to connect the cans and run the wires. I know some pods are sold without clamps so you might be able to reuse the holes. If you go for putting them on the back tube, get ones that conceal the wires in the clamp and then you would drill a hole in that tube and put the clamps over them.
Old 08-15-2015, 02:47 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 93 Prostar 190
My wires come through the clamp and into the can. I'll take pics and post n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
"Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsmrmastercraft View Post
If you want bling like the big dawgs, ya gotta lift your leg a little higher.....
Old 08-15-2015, 03:02 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 93 Prostar 190
My wires enter in the front legs. I use both legs because I run speakers, led rings, stern light, and the holes to get into the tower are not big enough to run it all on one side.

Ok. So I ran them up the front leg. Got into tower top in the front section. I had ND (if you buy the bit then you can do this too) drill through the front edge of the top front tube through the OD, ID into the channel rectangle tube connecting the front section to the rear section, and through the ID of the rear tube. Then I drilled from
The bottom into the rear tube.

So now I can get the wires into the rear tube and when finished you plug them with a 1/2" plug that seals the hole in the front tube. Very clean and not noticeable at all.

Ok so I ran up into the front tube and out the hole that gets plugged. Then you fish it to each hole on the back tube. I have 2 holes on my front tube. One on each cross section so I can get to rear tube.

I cussed the tower the entire time. It was a true pita and a real SOB. It took Taylor and myself 1 entire day just to run the wire.

It is easier if you run from the holes where the cans will be and snake down the legs. I also did it with the tower off. Let me emphasize. It is tedious, not zip zip fast, and a real pita. Do keep in mind. I ran speaker wire, led wire and stern light wire. So it got tight and I fought it. If you're just doing speakers, well it is still a beating, just not as bad. Make sure you have good fishing tools and a nice pick set. Nylon cord the holes first and then tie on the wire to the cord. Again this is like a 24 pack kind of job with an extra set of hands. Patience will be needed as well. It was not brain surgery but it was time consuming and tedious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
"Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsmrmastercraft View Post
If you want bling like the big dawgs, ya gotta lift your leg a little higher.....
Old 08-15-2015, 09:26 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2002 X30 LTR
i'm guessing this is identical or similar to my 02 OEM tower. my original wires went to the front bar and i wanted to put my REV8s on the back bar bimini clearance. i've done tons of fishing wires in various houses so i already had the tools. my tower is frozen in place so i had to do this in the boat. what i finally had to do was to drill some cheater holes in the tower and as mentioned above i tapped the holes and then sealed and plugged them with a threaded plug. in the end, my speaker wires run from the starboard front leg up to the front bar of the tower and then i pulled the speaker wire back/aft through the center bar right next to the nav/white light wires. the speaker wire then breaks left and right in the rear bar to the connectors for my swivel mounts for the REV8s so no wires are exposed. i left a set of power wires to the front bar and i have a led pod powered from them. agree with above that this was a real pita.