Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 05-14-2021, 06:34 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2021 NXT20
De-winterizing question

I have yet to take my new boat out yet. Hopefully if the weather holds up this weekend I can start to break it in. This is my first V-drive boat and the dealership winterized last year after I bought it. Since I'm new to this is there anything I need to do before I take it out for the first time? Would they have done anything during the winterization that I would need to change to use the boat? Would there be any reason I should call my dealer to ask these questions?
Old 05-14-2021, 07:12 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Prostar 190, 1993, Anniversary Limited.
I don't have your style of boat but you might call the dealership and find out HOW they winterized your boat or what their normal procedure is for the NXT.

Are there any plugs attached to your steering wheel in a small bag with a tie wrap? If yes, these have to go back in unless they filled the engine with anti-freeze and left the plugs in. They could have drained it and put the plugs back in.

If they drained the engine, did they leave any hoses off that need re-attaching before you take the boat out.

Was the battery left in the boat, were the connections taken off, does it need to be taken out and fully charged?

My LT1 engine, after I run it, I have a spare hose to use off the trans cooler and let the engine suck up 6 gallons of anti-freeze, which I then drain out, I take certain hoses off, and then put the plugs back in after I get it to the winter storage site - but that's just me. There are different ways to winterize so I'd check with your dealer to see what they did to winterize if unsure. Good luck
1993 25th Anniversary Limited ProStar 190, #17
Old 05-14-2021, 10:10 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Four Winns RX 5.7L 1996(sold), Nautique 200 OB 2011(sold), Nautique 200 OB 2012 5.7L, Mastercraft X25 2014 6.2L, Mastercraft ProStar 2019 5.7L
Winterization can be done either way for any boat. Whoever winterized it needs to tell you if it's ready to go or if work needs to be done before using it. Most places put the impeller in and reconnect everything, but not everyone.....

Some people leave the impeller out so it'll keep it's proper shape for longer and some people leave some of the drains open or some hoses off so more water can evaporate out of the system.
Nautique 200 OB 2012 5.7L - Current
Old 05-14-2021, 10:28 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripler View Post
I have yet to take my new boat out yet. Hopefully if the weather holds up this weekend I can start to break it in. This is my first V-drive boat and the dealership winterized last year after I bought it. Since I'm new to this is there anything I need to do before I take it out for the first time? Would they have done anything during the winterization that I would need to change to use the boat? Would there be any reason I should call my dealer to ask these questions?
Read the work order from last year- does it include Summerization? Does it indicate what would be done if they did it? Did they change the oil, impeller, disconnect or remove the battery?

I would call and ask for the price and steps for Summerization at that place, especially if that was the first time you used them. Some may skip steps in Fall so they can move more boats through the shop.
Old 05-14-2021, 10:45 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2019 X22, '18 NXT22, '06 X30
Your boat you should just need to make sure the sea **** valve is open as well as all the ballast pumps. Check to make sure the impeller is in and all drain points have been closed. Charge batteries and go get her wet. You could hook a water hose up to her and make sure no leaks anywhere in the engine compartment.

Don't forget BOTH drain plugs LOL!
Old 05-14-2021, 12:17 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2021 NXT20
Thanks for the replies, I have a call in to the service department. I don't have a work order since this is a brand new boat and they winterized last year for me free of charge. The boat was in my garage all winter and I installed an onboard Noco 2 channel charger, so the batteries are good to go. I talked to the service receptionist and she mentioned they offered a service to un-winterize they boat and she told me everything they do and nothing she mentioned should be needed in a brand new boat.
Old 05-14-2021, 02:11 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 1988 MC Prostar 190, 351 Ford
Send a message via AIM to 88 PS190
Consider "summerization" is the process of checking everything to make sure its ready to go.

There's nothign special about it - you just want to make sure everything is tip top in the driveway so that nothing fails on the lake.

Check all the fluids, visually inspect all the fittings, hoses, clamps, drive belts, wires. Make sure drains are closed, hoses are in place etc.

On impellers - darned near every I/O boat as a raw water impellor and almost none of those are removed during either winterization or summerization. Keep a spare and know how to install it.

Figure out how to run your boat on a hose, fire it up and run it checking for any leaks and make sure you get water out the exhausts etc.

Then you should be good to go.