• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • erogetan
    TT Newbie
    • May 2014

Exhaust Issue?

Lurked here for 4 years, you guys have helped a lot in my repairs. I took my 89 prostar out after having it winterized by local mechanic, cranked up fine, made it about 3 minutes when it started filling up with water.

Freeze plug was missing, hoses going to manifold were disconnected (Not sure why), and busted one of the big rubber exhaust tubes. Replaced the freeze plug, attached the hoses back to manifold, wrapped a towel around the exhaust tube and ran it rest of the day with no issues.

Second time out, still with wet towel thrown around exhaust tube. Idle was rough, kept cutting out at idle. Seemed fine when giving it throttle

Question is, does it sound like that rough idle/cut out could be caused by not replacing the tube? Or is it unrelated? Could I have messed something up running it like I did? Keep in mind temperature remained right on the money, never overheated once. I feel like it's unrelated, but not an expert.

Thanks in advance for any input.
  • Table Rocker
    MC Devotee
    • Oct 2010

If the exhaust hose is collapsed internally, it could give you some problems. So would old gas or a gummed up carb. Fix the hose and run some fresh gas through it and see if it clears up.
    '96 ProStar 205 SD LT-1

Comment

• erogetan
      TT Newbie
      • May 2014

Thanks. I think the gas is good, run 93 recreational gas and after first day (started with about 1/8th a tank of old gas before fill up) should have had plenty of time to mix in fresh gas, carb was rebuilt 2 years ago. I stay a couple hours from anywhere to get marine parts. Didn't want to replace it and have the same issue with memorial coming up.

I know a rough idle could mean a bunch of different things. Didn't know if anyone had tried patching one of the exhaust tubes and ran into similar issues. Obviously a wet towel isn't a patch and I'm going to replace it anyway but if that wasn't causing the issue I want to be in the garage troubleshooting and get anything I might need in one swoop.

Comment

Working...
      X