Go Back   TeamTalk > News & Information > Team Talk Forum Help- Forum Issues Only

Old 06-17-2019, 09:16 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: Mastercraft X30 2008 350hp
Steering Issues

I have a 2007 X30 and the steering is really easy to turn. When we get up over 25mph and i turn the steering wheel to approximately 1o'clock i get a clicking sound and it feels like it slips and i lose a little control. any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 06-18-2019, 07:37 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: Maristar 200VRS w/ X2 Package, 2007, 310HP... SOLD
Since you can hear the clicking sound, the first thing I would do would be to check the steering rack under the dash to see if the mount for the cable to rack connection has come loose. If everything looks good there I would check the cable mount in the bilge under the motor and everything going from the support to the tiller arm. Look for loose components, worn or damaged parts.

Since you say that you're losing a little control, if this were my boat I wouldn't play games with such a serious component such as steering. There's far too much close quarters maneuvering with people in the water with these boats to screw around with this type of issue. If you can't find the "smoking gun" and completely resolve this issue I would first stop using the boat for any activity that includes driving near people in the water at a minimum.

When I get in situations like this I always play it safe. If you can't figure it out, rip it all out. By that I mean change the tilt column assembly with the steering shaft/ pinion and the steering cable which should include the rack assembly. This will eliminate all critical components in the steering system for safety and also restore the steering system to new condition and performance. I've done this job for several friends for different steering issues and the results are outstanding. It's amazing how sloppy these steering systems can get and the difference having a renewed system can make.

If you don't know what you need call Discount Inboard Marine and have them set you up. for about $500 you can get all the parts you need to rebuild the system which is cheap if you're getting in a situation where the steering is failing.