• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JimN
    MC Master Poster
    • Jul 2004

Originally posted by RxMC View Post
    Pumping oil out? I've never had to that on any vehicle before. Don't these marvels come with a remote oil change hose? There just happens to be a hole in the hull right under the engine!
    Using gravity is for suckers. Ever think about turning a milk shake upside down and letting gravity move it through the straw?

Comment

• JimN
      MC Master Poster
      • Jul 2004

Originally posted by pmkkdx View Post
      which Jabsco pump are ya'll recommending??? model number???

I hate doing mine with a old hand operated pump that takes forever.
      Which hand-operated pump? Mine takes only a few minutes- MityVac are a good choice.

Comment

• pmkkdx
        MC Maniac
        • May 2009

Originally posted by JimN View Post
        Which hand-operated pump? Mine takes only a few minutes- MityVac are a good choice.
        its a very old one I got from my dad's shop, likely 1970s vintage, he used for transmissions & hydraulics on tractors

Comment

• Rocketboy
          MC Fanatic
          • Jan 2016

I don't disagree it costs money. We don't work on many if any inboards at my shop. That said- try and hire a tech in the midwest today that knows what a tool box is and how a motor works. Then you will understand why it costs what it does. My techs are some of the highest paid employees in the entire place.

In my powersports world- the only place to make money is in service and parts. If I am going to keep the doors open- this is what it costs. Units (Sxs, ATV, PWC) dealers are selling so low that they loose money on the unit hoping they will get the service work. As one dealer does that others have to follow or you don't sell anything. I am more rural and I will not price match the big city boys that want to cut prices.

We have asked customers- what do you think I should make selling you this unit? Give me a number and I will show you my invoice and you pay me that plus what you think I should make. They quickly realize that we are cutting a pretty good deal.

I am sure I will be told that I am wrong, but there are many dealerships for sale if it is easy to make money doing this.

Comment

• epnault
            MC Devotee
            • May 2010

Originally posted by Rocketboy View Post
            I don't disagree it costs money. We don't work on many if any inboards at my shop. That said- try and hire a tech in the midwest today that knows what a tool box is and how a motor works. Then you will understand why it costs what it does. My techs are some of the highest paid employees in the entire place.

In my powersports world- the only place to make money is in service and parts. If I am going to keep the doors open- this is what it costs. Units (Sxs, ATV, PWC) dealers are selling so low that they loose money on the unit hoping they will get the service work. As one dealer does that others have to follow or you don't sell anything. I am more rural and I will not price match the big city boys that want to cut prices.

We have asked customers- what do you think I should make selling you this unit? Give me a number and I will show you my invoice and you pay me that plus what you think I should make. They quickly realize that we are cutting a pretty good deal.

I am sure I will be told that I am wrong, but there are many dealerships for sale if it is easy to make money doing this.
            Well put and reality in powersports these days.

Comment

• moosehead
              MC Maniac
              • May 2015

I understand both sides and do most of my oil changes in the lift in less than 15 minutes using an extractor and the barbed fitting connected to the MC drain tube. Have a ziplock bag ready for your oil filter to keep the engine bay clean and it’s no fuss.

Note putting the extractor in the dipstick tube can end up with a stuck extractor hose melted or jammed in the dipstick tube - google it and you’ll see horror stories. Extracting from the dipstick tube also tends not to get all the oil out of the block like the MC drain tube will at the bottom of the pan.

That said, I tend to also pay my servicing dealer for an oil change once a year as they take care of me otherwise and Rocketboy’s points are well taken. Both MC Colorado and Stancraft have bailed me out multiple times.

Comment

• Footin
                MC Addict
                • Aug 2004

I use a Liquivac pump unit, takes about 5 minutes to suck out the old stuff, I just slide the hose from this one into the drain hose off the motor and its finished in no time. 5 quarts out, 5 quarts of Rotella in, spin on a Napa Gold 1069 and done.
                This pump works well for the transmission oil also.

OH-IO!

Comment

• Mastercraftdave
                  MC Addict
                  • Feb 2012

I purchased a pump extractor from West Maine that connect to my battery and the oil drain tube. I changed my own oil in 20 minutes on Saturday.

Pennzoil was on sale at Advanced auto for $25 for a 5 gallon container and the filter cost $8 from Napa.

Super easy and cheap.

Comment

• Yellow X9
                    MC Fanatic
                    • May 2007

Changing the oil isn't rocket science on the boat...….
                    Mike D.
                    05- X9
                    06- X9

Comment

• swatguy
                      MC Maniac
                      • Mar 2007

You ever look at the labor rate/hr at your dealer ? That’s where the charge comes in.

Been using something similar to the mighty vac for years , 20min oil change for around 30$ when you snatch up the Rotella on sale.
                      CURRENT: 2008 SANTE 210 w NSS

2000 Mastercraft Xstar
                      2004,2005 Ski Centurion Avalanche C4
                      2003, Ski Centurion Cyclone
                      99,2000,2001, 2002 Ski Centurion Elite V/Hurricane/lightning
                      88 2001 Nautique

Comment

• ttu
                        MC Addict
                        • Jun 2005

I have been using the same jabsco pump thru the dipstick for 15 years. it's not super fast but after a day on the lake on the lift it takes me 10 minutes to get all the oil out. I usually wait till the next day so the oil in the filter has cooled down and use a gallon zip lock to drop the filter and install a new one and oil. I use Rotella and have had great success

Comment

• bloup101
                          MC Fanatic
                          • Sep 2018

I use extractor pump Pela 650 with a 1/4 MPT 5/16 barb and connect it to the drain hose on the Ilmore 6.0 and it takes about 5 minutes to empty if oil is hot 140°. The oil filter is a pita since it's usually full of oil. The oil filter has a catch pan but it drains in the bildge so you need to put a container underneath. Some people will pierce the filter with a hammer and nail to drain some of the oil while it's still installed but I don't since it could break the filter relocation bracket.
                          I buy Penzoil Ultra Platinum on sale at big box stores. Filter from dealer to keep record of oil changes.

Comment

• RxMC
                            MC Fanatic
                            • Jul 2019

Originally posted by JimN View Post
                            Using gravity is for suckers. Ever think about turning a milk shake upside down and letting gravity move it through the straw?
                            That’s funny. Yes, I have thought about that and gravity it is. At least I know it’s all out! No way a pump is better unless you’re changing oil for profit or just don’t care.

Comment

• RxMC
                              MC Fanatic
                              • Jul 2019

Originally posted by dvsone79 View Post
                              And it takes a good bit longer to drain than a car, especially if the engine hasn’t been run to operating temp. A pump makes it much easier
                              How much longer can it take? If it takes an hour or two that’s no biggie. And I always run an engine for a few minutes before I change oil.

Maybe I’m missing something here but I don’t see how anything can be simpler than draining oil into a pan. No pump to buy, use, clean, and store .

And getting back to the topic, if a dealer charges $200-$250 for an oil and filter change I would love to see that itemization. What could it possibly read?

Comment

• bturner2
                                MC Addict
                                • Mar 2008

A drain pan in a bilge would be a recipe for an oil spill disaster unless you plan to drain the oil outside the hull and that would be if your drain tube is long enough.

The bill will probably have about $60 - $70 in Ilmor oil and an Ilmor filter and about 1.5 hours in labor. The clock starts when the boat hits the shop door so uncovering, moving cushions, dividers and all that to get to the job at hand is included in the labor. While everyone agrees that this should be a 30 to 45 minute job many of us don't include the time to get the tools out, uncover the boat, get the materials for the job or the clean up that follows to complete the job. They do.

Comment

Working...
                                X