Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Ballast

Old 09-22-2018, 01:29 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: Mastercraft X23, 2016 Ilmor 6.2L
Split Ballast Tank x23

Hello
I discovered that my front ballast tank on my 2016 X23 was leaking into the bilge. Took the boat to the dealer and they confirmed that the tank was indeed split.

The dealer actually needs to split the boat in half and separate the top from the bottom to remove and install the new tank. I was told it is a 30 hour process. I am told that everything is still under warranty.

My question is has anyone else had their boat go through this major process and what was the end result? I know when it comes down to it the end result will depend on the dealership's ability to complete the job properly. I am concerned that it may longer as tight as it was from factory.

Any thoughts you have would help.
2008 X15 5.7L
Old 09-22-2018, 01:40 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2016 X30, 85 S&S
Our 2010 had this. I wouldn’t worry about a thing. It sounds major but any good dealer will make it seem like the split never happened.

LONE STAR MASTERBASH 2019!!!!!!

https://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk...d.php?t=100065

2016 X30-Wetsounds galore
2017 Misty Harbor Tri-Toon
1985 S&S- Gone but never forgotten
Old 09-22-2018, 02:49 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2014 X2
My dealer just split my hull last year mid summer for my rear ballast tanks splitting. They replaced both rear tanks as I was told this was an issue from that year (2014 X2). Somehow they cut carpet on the tank and it scored the tank and the heat/cool action would split them.. Since they split the hull I haven't had any issues structurally at all. The boat still feels solid as the day I bought it. However the dealer did run some wiring/hoses where they weren't supposed to go after re-assembling. Fortunately I took the boat back and they promptly fixed all the issues. Just make sure to thoroughly inspect the boat inside and out before and after the repair (electrical also). Yes I was very nervous having this done to my boat but my dealer did very well. They had my boat for two weeks and one of those weeks was waiting for the tanks which were back ordered.

[/IMG]

[/IMG]
Old 10-11-2018, 12:15 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: '14 X30 6.2L, '96 SkiRay Tournament(sold)
My port side rear tank is leaking but I think it can come out without splitting the boat. I get a lot of water in the bilge when I surf so I need to check the front tank also. Thoughts of splitting my boat scares me because our local dealer is new and I don't think they are equipped to do it.
Old 10-11-2018, 07:57 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2014 X2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxirat427 View Post
My port side rear tank is leaking but I think it can come out without splitting the boat. I get a lot of water in the bilge when I surf so I need to check the front tank also. Thoughts of splitting my boat scares me because our local dealer is new and I don't think they are equipped to do it.
I talked to the mechanic who did the work on my boat and he had said that he spent time down at the factory learning how to do this. Surprisingly he said there's not much hardware that holds these boats together.. I was dumbfounded when he was pointing out how they actually attach the top deck to the hull. Best of luck replacing it without splitting decks!
Old 10-11-2018, 10:26 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2018 X23 6000GDI - Previous 2014 Gen2 X25 6.0L
I had it done, twice actually, on my X25. Its scary to think about but it worked well. No problems. Mine went back to TN actually because my local dealer didn't have what he needed to do the surgery.