Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Ballast

Old 10-26-2018, 09:24 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2008 X2, MCX
I cut out my tanks and replaced with bags. Sooooooo much happier
Old 03-13-2019, 07:09 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 08 x2
Hey guys, can we circle back to this quick. is removing the tanks really getting that much more weight in? How are you doing it? Anyone add another ballast pump to help speed up the process. If this is a hyjack I will post on my own, just seems like we are talking about the same problem... keeping water in the boat... lots of it
Old 03-13-2019, 08:48 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2010 X2
Quote:
Originally Posted by VGScapes View Post
Hey guys, can we circle back to this quick. is removing the tanks really getting that much more weight in? How are you doing it? Anyone add another ballast pump to help speed up the process. If this is a hyjack I will post on my own, just seems like we are talking about the same problem... keeping water in the boat... lots of it
I never cut mine out. I was able to locate my leak and fix it. Weíve just been running the stock tanks and 400# bags on each side. If you want to remove the tanks with out cutting them out youíd need to split the hull. I tried several different ways with no luck and ended up with multiple deals telling me the only way was to split the hull.
Old 03-13-2019, 10:20 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 08 x2
right, I am not opposed to cutting them out if it makes a big enough difference in the amount of total weight I can hold. I was thinking of having two custom bags made that would replace the hard tanks completely and fill up under the back seats on either side as well. then it would be the same shape as the 400's filling up the rear lockers. It would be a large L shaped bag on either side. Maybe with an additional ballast pump that would flow into both bags.
Old 03-14-2019, 07:51 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: Master craft, X2, 2010, Indmar 350
VGScapes-

I ended up cutting mine out and ordering custom bags from WakeMAKERS. I could never find the source of my leak, but knew there had to be a crack somewhere. When I cut the tanks out, I did find a crack in the pillar of the tank which was impossible to see with the tanks in the boat, and would have been impossible to repair. Splitting the hill was never an option I was considering. The sacks I designed are exactly what youíre suggesting, they mimic the shape of the factory tanks and FlyHigh overflow sacks like an L shape. While I havenít had a chance to run them yet, as itís winter, based on the suggested capacity (1,275 pounds each), Iíll be carrying significantly more weight as they are designed to fill the compartment completely. I was hesitant to cut them out too, but now that the deed is done, Iím looking forward to a ďleak freeĒ summer.

Hope this helps!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-14-2019, 08:27 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2007 X2 & 1984 Stars & Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by WakeTurbulence View Post
VGScapes-

I ended up cutting mine out and ordering custom bags from WakeMAKERS. I could never find the source of my leak, but knew there had to be a crack somewhere. When I cut the tanks out, I did find a crack in the pillar of the tank which was impossible to see with the tanks in the boat, and would have been impossible to repair. Splitting the hill was never an option I was considering. The sacks I designed are exactly what youíre suggesting, they mimic the shape of the factory tanks and FlyHigh overflow sacks like an L shape. While I havenít had a chance to run them yet, as itís winter, based on the suggested capacity (1,275 pounds each), Iíll be carrying significantly more weight as they are designed to fill the compartment completely. I was hesitant to cut them out too, but now that the deed is done, Iím looking forward to a ďleak freeĒ summer.

Hope this helps!!!

Keep us up dated and pictures of them filled I am wanting to do the same exact thing
Old 03-14-2019, 09:08 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2008 X2, MCX
I use the standard 750's in the back after I cut out my tanks. I find that they slide under the backrest (reduced height area) and once overfilled expand to fill the rear compartment nicely. In addition, since there is a step in the flooring under the seating area, I fill that with lead bags.

do you mind sharing or shooting me a PM with the price of the custom bags?
Old 03-14-2019, 09:13 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2010 X2
Quote:
VGScapes-

Hope this helps!!!

By any chance did yours have the 3wire sending units and did you keep them?
Old 03-15-2019, 02:51 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2007 X2 & 1984 Stars & Stripes
Quote:
VGScapes-

Hope this helps!!!

Based on my math they will only hold 103 gal or 850lbs not 1275

Old 03-15-2019, 06:43 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: Master craft, X2, 2010, Indmar 350
I never ran the numbers for the dimensions, I just took the estimate at face value when I was given the renderings.

But now that I have, my math matches yours, approx 850 pounds....bummer.

While that is a little disappointing, itís still a decent improvement over the factory + FlyHigh overflows which equate to about 650 a side.

Given that I had a cracked hard tank and am now netting 400 more pounds in the rear, Iíd still consider the custom bags a solid choice.

Once I get the boat on the water and bags filled, Iíll update with how they perform.