Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Ballast

Old 06-02-2017, 12:28 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2010 X2
I have an 2010 X2 with the Gen 1 tabs, 450 bags in the rear and a Mission Delta wake shaper. For regular riders we just use the shaper and no tabs at all (I'm sure Gen2 makes a difference) and goofy riders use the shaper and port tab 75% down. All tanks/bags are full for both. Does anyone have any experience with adding the bow ballast bag from flyhigh? In theory, it would lengthen the wave quite a bit.

Link:
http://www.the-house.com/wk7mcx2ibs9...uB8aAkus8P8HAQ
Attached Images

Old 06-03-2017, 05:24 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '17 XT20, '13 X2 Gen2, '98 30th Anniv PS190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pnracing51 View Post
Found that the factory settings worked pretty well with only a few people in the boat. My x2 only has underfloor ballast with no bags in rear lockers. I found it interesting that it states pins for the surf tabs should be in the aft hole? Mine is in the front. Does it make much difference.
I'm a little confused..... if your 2014 does not have the rear locker bags then it sounds likely your boat has Gen 1 surf tabs and not the larger Gen 2 surf tabs. If so I'm not sure what setting is correct for the Gen 1 surf tab pins but follow the instructions from MC.

On the Gen 2 tabs if the pins are in the wrong holes the surf side tab does not retract up enough to get out of the water flow and will mess up the surf wave.
SOLD - 1985 Stars and Stripes

Old 06-03-2017, 08:26 PM
TT Regular

Boat: Mastercraft x2 2014
I was lead to believe the surf system is gen 2 but definitely no bags. It was purchased new with the "pro pack" . Is there any photos of the gen1 tabs compared to the gen 2 tabs specifically on the 2014 x2?
Old 06-03-2017, 10:54 PM
MC Devotee

The ProPackage was created before the Gen 2 system and typically consists of the larger touch screen, tracking fins, ZFT4 tower and removeable ski pylon. It doesn't really have anything to do with the Gen1 or Gen2 surf systems.

"Surf Tabs" (also known as Gen 1) are quite basic, small and don't really do much honestly. They could have been ordered without the center "attitude adjustment" plate as seen in the photos below. I believe the center tab should have come with your "Pro Package"

With these little tabs you typically list the boat toward the surfer by filling the center tank and the surf side tank to get a rideable wave

Gen 1 tabs. .....
Attached Images

Last edited by SS LS1; 06-03-2017 at 11:55 PM.
Old 06-03-2017, 11:55 PM
TT Regular

Ahhh... mine was ordered late 2013 but is a 2014 model... which lead me to believe it was gen 2. A bit more research seems the gen 2 wasn't released until mid 2014 so maybe it is gen 1. Might have to upgrade which may be difficult in Australia seeing as the closest dealer is 1600klm away. Does anyone know if u can get an upgrade kit and diy install? I suppose this makes all of the above settings null and void as well. It has the centre attitude adjustment plate.
Old 06-04-2017, 12:17 AM
MC Devotee

Gen 2 tabs are noticeably larger with up turned outside edges and down turned trailing edges to direct the water down and under the surf side wave. This system only came with the center tab and the extra rear bag ballast on top of the standard X Series ballast tanks. It also includes updated software, swim platform riser blocks to raise the platform so the extra large tabs don't contact the platform when they are fully retracted.

With Gen 2 you weight the boat evenly by filling all ballast tanks and bags without listing the boat toward the surf side.

It's expensive (about $6,000 US dollars) to upgrade to Gen2 but totally worth it as the surf wave is excellent and you will need Gen 2 on a 2014 to have any hope of a decent resale value if you sell someday.

It is not a DYI project and must be done at a MC dealer to get the software installed and new hardware. Unfortunately the tab actuators are not mounted in the same location so the old actuator holes must be filled and the gelcoat repaired which makes the cost of the installed system so expensive. With that said I have Gen 2 on my 2013 X2 and it puts out a phenomenal surf wave compared to what you are riding now.

Gosurfassist would be a possible cheaper DYI option for modern surf tabs but I personally would not buy a 2014 X2 with an aftermarket surf system and would want the OEM MC Gen2 just for resale value alone.

Here is some photos of Gen 2 tabs...... and my X2 Gen2 surf wave.......
Attached Images

Old 06-04-2017, 04:41 AM
TT Regular

Turns out your exactly right. Original invoice states surf tabs. Have contacted mastercraft australia to see where when and how much for the upgrade. From what I've read it's a must. I've only surfed behind a 2016 vlx malibu and I have to say the x2 gen 1 stock underfloor ballast and 4 people in the boat seemed fairly comparable... so now I'm keen for a "much better wave" with the gen 2 system. Thanks for all the info. Not sure if I'm happy about spending more money but it's good to know I can substantially improve the wave. I still think I got it for the right price cons8dering what else has been selling even if it's a 10k upgrade.
Old 06-04-2017, 10:31 AM
MC Devotee

Cheers! Glad we got it figured out as to what is on your boat. Here is a bunch of ideas to think about.......

With a 2014 you can (inexpensively) upgrade your wave by adding in the Gen 2 additional ballast bags from MC or for a DIY project buy some from Wakemakers.com. The additional ballast is what makes the Gen 2 wave so big/tall where the tabs add some height but more so add to the quality (much increased wave energy or known as push) of the surf wave. The 2014 Murphy computer system allows you to easily adjust ballast pump fill and empty times for the increased ballast capacity without going to a dealer.

With the addition ballast you would weight the boat evenly but need to run a purchased or use a homemade suction cup "wedge" device to make the surf side wake roll over like it does with Gen 2 or listing the boat. I like the BoB V5 homemade wake device as I have personally tried it on 4 different boats w/o any surf tabs and had great results. However the additional ballast is a must have for a big surf wave along with raising your swim platform so it's not dragging in the surf wave. If you have the touchscreen then you could easily build and save custom surf profiles that would fill all the ballast rather than on the rear surf side ballast like you are getting now.

Personally Gen 2 is awesome but if your dealer is so far away and cost is a big issue I would first add the additional ballast bags and fabricate my own set of Gen 2 style tabs if you are a mechanical minded individual. What have you got to loose?

However a couple nice Gen 2 benefits is the software update gives you the Tripple tab auto launch feature which works amazing getting the boat on plane quickly when heavily loaded with ballast or passengers. And also the ability to "switch sides" immediately while surfing having the surf wave automatically roll over from port to starboard side and back with the touch of a button. Fun for surfing crossover moves.

Old 06-10-2021, 10:57 AM
TT Regular

Boat: '14 X2
HELP!!

Have a 2014 X2 with 4.3” screen and Gen2. My batteries ran low from previous owner (bought last fall). During test drive, surf left and right filled up all the ballasts. Now when I enter profile “Surf Left” my right rear ballast empties. Entering “Surf Right” my left rear ballast empties.

How do I adjust profiles so that all ballasts stay full in surf profiles?

TIA

2014 X2 Green, White, and Black
Sent using Tapatalk