Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 04-17-2021, 07:48 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Own a 78 MC S&S
Former 78 S&S owner now looking at a salvage

I have a chance to pickup a 2000 MasterCraft Maristar 210. Its a LONG way away but shows solid engine and 80 hours (presumed reset). Video shows running but not sucking water in so I presume the impeller is shot. Bank repot/salvage.

Its gotta tower and I am not a big fan of those, so I would remove the tower... give it some love and probably have to apply for a replacement title... Price is right.

Thoughts?
Old 04-17-2021, 06:37 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 93 190
These restoration type boats are a money pit and a time consuming project. Your call there.

If it is a cheap price and in decent shape, not so bad but these junkers and some repos are nothing more than someone else's problem(s). Why buy a known problem? Again, your call.

Unless I find a boat for my keeper-garage, I'm not doing another restoration.

2 Peter 1:38
Old 04-17-2021, 07:44 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 99 Maristar 210
Could be an enormous amount of work depending on condition. A $5000 boat that costs you $15000 to get to decent condition is sometime not worth it.

Since you don't know the hours and don't know the engine / transmission condition, that's a big risk. A replacement engine could easily be $10K if you need to pay someone else for labor.
Old 04-17-2021, 08:21 PM
Administrator

Boat: XT22
Not worth it unless you are just looking to do it for "fun". Without factoring the value of your time, you will end up upside down just in parts, most likely.
Old 04-17-2021, 08:27 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2015 X30, 1980 S&S Project
What they said!

If you want to do a project, buy the project. Makes perfect sense but you need to enjoy the work to do it, because it’s not always safe to assume it will save you a bunch of money.

But if you do it, you’re in the right place - lots of knowledge to help you out on this forum.
Old 04-18-2021, 08:27 AM
MC Addict

Boat: 2016 200 Sport Nautique
I've done a couple flips but that's a completely different thing than a project boat. In today's market flips are near impossible to find as people are paying top dollar for junk.

So if the idea is for a flip this is probably not the right boat. The title will be a problem for the knowledgeable/informed buyer and by the sound of it's condition and the year of the boat you can expect to do an interior, gauges and will need to convert the Reliable brake actuator and probably replace the calipers on the trailer as well. Doing the stupid math you'll be in for at least $5K (probably more if you live in the north) for the interior, another $1k for the trailer and another $2K - $3K misc (that glass work you're talking about, shaft seals, raw water pump, rudder seal, shaft alignment, stereo and probably about 4 other issues you're not aware about). Believe me the misc stuff adds up quickly. So I have you at $9K without the boat and not including the labor.

Is it worth it? If you're looking for a hobby (other than actual boating) maybe, especially if this is the boat you've always wanted and plan to keep it. Could you flip it? Maybe but you'd have to get it real cheap then find the right buyer.

The other issue I personally have run into is.... where do I work on it at? I don't have a pole barn or a garage that would allow me to work on something like this in the winter. If I did I might take on something like this but this item is something to consider. Especially if you live in a sub that won't allow you to keep your project in the driveway.
Old 04-21-2021, 09:25 AM
MC Fanatic

Thanks everyone. You convinced me to pass even if I could get it for $2500 to $3500. Already have too many projects and not enough time. Prefer to use rather than work on it.

Looking for an open bow MC inboard but might have to settle on another brand based upon the budget. (10k might be able to squeeze 15k)

Passed up a couple with 1000 hours on orig motor, or need complete interior skin.

Thx again
Cj
Old 04-21-2021, 07:00 PM
MC Fanatic

Sold to new owner... 10k. Thats a lot of money for a questionable project that isnt sucking water from the impeller. Too risky for me.