Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Watersports > Waterskiing & Barefooting

Old 08-04-2008, 04:50 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2003 Prostar 209, MCX, custom ballast, tower
From another site

As a recent graduate to the AWSA Assistant Driver rating, here's what they teach for slalom driving. When the skier falls, keep going straight down the course and bring the throttle back to the neutral position. Once the bow of the boat completely settles down into the water, then begin your turn back to the skier using idle throttle only. You can either idle back to the skier, or if you want to get back quicker, you start to accelerate with the bow of the boat angled away from the slalom course to avoid pushing bow rollers down the course. I drive the same way in open water too. Nobody wants to ski in rollers, even if you're not in the course. Also, if a skier takes a hard fall and is face-down in the water, don't execute a big power turn and "race" back to the skier. They won't die lying in the water for 30 seconds. You could risk further injury to a skier with a neck or back injury by trying to rush back over to them and creating big bow rollers.
Old 08-04-2008, 05:03 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1994 ProTour 190 & 2006 X9
Quote:
Originally Posted by chudson View Post
Ditto!!!
I'm the first one who said it

I could see a powerturn here and there if you're getting bored or tired from the person falling all the time.

Sometimes I do a faster idle back to the skier just to speed things up, maybe 1100 rpms.

I'd like to take some pictures of how you can turn right as the skier falls and idle through the waves with out any coming in....
Old 08-04-2008, 05:29 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, Prostar 190, 1996, 285 HP
I prefer that my driver take their time getting back to me because its gives me a little chance to rest.
Old 08-04-2008, 06:01 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2011 X-25
I tend to do a quicker return to the rider than recommended simply because I usually am on crowded lakes and like to keep my rider nearby. If it comes to a choice of protecting my rider or sending waves across the lake, I guess a few skiers are going to be getting a good bounce or two. If I know there are no other boats or PWCs around, I take my time and putter back to them at idle, but damn if it doesn't seem like half the time I'm sprinting back to cover up my rider.
Old 08-04-2008, 06:15 PM
Administrator

Boat: XT22
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgrove View Post
I tend to do a quicker return to the rider than recommended simply because I usually am on crowded lakes and like to keep my rider nearby. If it comes to a choice of protecting my rider or sending waves across the lake, I guess a few skiers are going to be getting a good bounce or two. If I know there are no other boats or PWCs around, I take my time and putter back to them at idle, but damn if it doesn't seem like half the time I'm sprinting back to cover up my rider.

I do the same when the lake is busy and the Wally's are out.
Old 08-04-2008, 06:47 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2008 Prostar 214 MCX, 1995 Prostar 190 5.7 TBI - no ballast!
Just my $ 0.02 I am a slow to idle then make the turn around at idle speed, if needed I can always accelerate back to the skier in a straight line .... I think you can minimize the distance between the boat and skier by staying attentive and ready to throttle back once they are down.

Sometimes extra distance is created by a slow reaction by the observer/driver team

2008 Prostar 214 MCX
1995 Prostar 190 "Evil Minion"
Previous 93 Prostar 190 1.5:1 GT40

"Left Foot Forward and preferring girls."
"Do you have Flake on that boat?"
Old 08-04-2008, 07:33 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2011 X-25
Agreed. The trick is the same crowded conditions that create the need to get back to your rider quickly are the same conditions that push the driver's attention to places other than the rider. When I have to sprint back to cover my rider, I always give my oberver(s) a quick comment about doing a better job letting me know the rider is down. Sometimes (frequently) they get busy talking while I am paying attention to the traffic around us. We're saying the same thing, but I'm just raising the point as a reminder because I know some drivers look down on other drivers when they see them creating wakes on pickup when sometimes there is a good excuse (or maybe more appropriately, the fault for the wake is not the driver's, but a different driver or an observer not doing their job).