Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Watersports > Waterskiing & Barefooting

Old 08-03-2008, 02:56 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 06 X-30 MCX
Here's a trick I was taught a few years ago and it works every time. Say you are going to make a right turn to go back and pick the rider up ... at the same time you are pulling the throttle back kick the steering wheel left. Drop to an idle, right turn, and troll back to the rider ... no rollers, they all went to the left . It takes a few times to get a feel for it and develop the habit.

I always idle back unless I have to protect the rider from traffic. On the occasion where there is a wave to cross just goose the throttle across it to lift the bow over it.

Why yes I do love a rampy wake with a firm lip. Thanks for asking.
Old 08-03-2008, 11:11 PM
TT Regular

Boat: Glastron, CSS-16, 1989, Evinrude 120
When free skiing we ski the length of a lake about 1 mile long. Right down the middle, retracing our own boat path on the return so all wakes are sent away from the boat path.

After a skier falls, In the course or not, immediately pull back throttle while continuing to go straight. Once at idle speed, do 180 turn and either idle back to skier or come on plane in your own path back to the skier.

A bit anal maybe, but who likes skiing in rollers? Self-made or otherwise?
Old 08-04-2008, 08:07 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2003 X30 MCX - SOLD
It is actually faster to idle back then to power turn. Had a guy riding near us that was power turning, one time, both riders fell at the same time, and we were back up before they were since they had to wait until the rollers went away and the rider could get into position.
Old 08-04-2008, 09:15 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1994 ProTour 190 & 2006 X9
echo.......................echo................... ..........echo.........................
Old 08-04-2008, 10:37 AM
MC Addict

Boat: 1973 S&S, and a few others that vary week to week
i idle back and let the wake die. then do a 180 and go straight back if there is no hurry. but you will swamp the nose from time to time. we all do it on occassion!!

Resident TeamTalk Jacka$$
1973 S&S

Look for me on CHL!! I am in a MC of some sort lol!!!
Old 08-04-2008, 10:41 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: '00 MariStar 230VRS
Pretty much what everyone is saying, but the way I was taught is once the skiier is down you idle back and wait for the wake wave to hit the bow before making your right turn at idle. Then poke back up hill at or just off idle to get your person in the water. Doesn't rip up the water and by the time you get back around the skiier/boarder the water is glass again.
Old 08-04-2008, 03:00 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2002 PS197
Good point on waiting for even your own waves to settle before launching the skier again. I idle back anyway and instruct new drivers that way.

Lately, the lake has been crazy enough for me to execute a number of heavy throttle power turns for defensive purposes. Kind of fun sometimes, and most passengers enjoy it unless they are really not paying attention. Either way, safety of the skier is 1st concern !

This weekend I was warned by an alert observer that a boat was following when the skier fell, so I could do a quick check and bring 'er around fast. Observant observers, what a nice treat !!!!
Old 08-04-2008, 03:19 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2007 mastercraft x2
come to stop and slowly turn so that the wakes hit the boat broadside and rock the boat side to side while never breaking a constant idle... the same thing has been said on here 1k times so far

MY LED INSTALL... CHECK IT OUT

MY WAKESIDE RIDE

"It's just water... not concrete or dirt... so just throw it"
-Parks Bonifay

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink... when they wake up that's as good as they're going to feel all day"
-Frank Sinatra

"Indecision may, or may not, be my problem"
-Jimmy Buffett
Old 08-04-2008, 03:27 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2003 x7
This may be a little unorthodoxed, at 32, 34 and 36, I will make a hard turn while pulling back on the throttle, since the boat is still on plane the boat slides around really quick, this causes a small roller to be sent down course. Then pick up the skier at any speed, all waves are sent parallel to the course like they would be while driving the course. By the time you get back to the beginning of the course that small roller is gone. Probably not the easiest on the boat...
Old 08-04-2008, 04:09 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: "81" 351 Power Slot, Blue on Blue
Power turn to stop and turn around? Use to do powerturns from time to time then started noticing stress cracks next to the stabilizer fins, don't do them anymore!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProTour X9 View Post
If no one is behind you threatening your skiers' safety, let the boat come to a stop (going straight), turn (idling in gear) and be almost parallel to your waves when you cross. If there is a wally behind you keep giving it the gas and that should keep the bow up at any angle through the waves.
Ditto!!!

Last edited by chudson; 08-04-2008 at 04:11 PM.