Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Electrical

Old 09-22-2019, 03:16 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2008 X2
2008 MMDC Delete and Gauage Replacement

The gauges on my 2008 x2 do not work at all. All i get is a tiny flicker in the gauges when turning the key, they do not full cycle and do not give any readings. I suspect the MMDC is dead. The VDIG works fine, except I do not get a fuel level reading and the screen has become very dim that its hard to read in sunlight.

My understanding is the VDIG reads everything directly from the CAN bus and is seperate from the MMDC, so if it is deleted the VDIG would still work fine.

Would analogue gauges work at all on a 2008 or newer boat? Or is this why noone has done it?
Aesthetically I would need to figure out how to get the alumnium frames on new gauges.

Name:  2008 MasterCraft X-45 M1499 10.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  127.4 KB
This is not my boat, but looks like this.

Last edited by Baron515; 09-22-2019 at 05:16 AM.
Old 09-22-2019, 07:22 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: Maristar 200VRS w/ X2 Package, 2007, 310HP... SOLD
I believe the reason no one is doing it is because it hasn't been a problem to this point. About 05 the gauge crisis of the early 2000's was about done as Medallion had finally fixed their crap system and restored stability to their systems.

I personally would be more inclined to fix what you have which could be a simple as "nut and bolting" everything from the MDC to the gauges along with the all the power connections and connectors. If no joy a quick game of "reduce to the ridiculous" where by you unplug all but one gauge at a time to see if you have a bad gauge causing the error would be my next step. If still no joy then a new MDC would be next in line and a simple bolt in repair.

If this is not a suitable path for you and you still want to rip everything out, I see no reason following the conversion thread for the older gauge conversion wouldn't be the same. You're basically dealing with the same architecture and converting a digital bus architecture over to an analog system. As with the older system you would need to replace the senders for the temp, oil and fuel as well as wiring in the tach creating "home run" wiring to each as you go.

Not so sure a conversion on this new of a boat would be a good move. If it were mine I'd certainly be fixing what I had.
Old 09-22-2019, 04:11 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: mastercraft x-14 2008 mcx
Had a similar problem on my 08 VDIG and guage system . there is a deutsch connector down by the starter and one under the dash . Take them apart and see if there is corrosion . I spent hours chasing this problem and once I discovered the corrosion when I finally took connector apart , it solved all problems. Good Luck.
Old 09-22-2019, 04:33 PM
MC Fanatic

pic of connector
Old 09-23-2019, 01:13 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2008 X2
Thanks for the advice, I have tried unplugging all the gauges and testing one a time but get the same behavior on each single gauge. Ill get my tester out and starting testing voltages and checking for good grounds or any corrosion, maybe I can repair it as you guys suggest.

Mike, I dont see the pic of the connector, but I did try unplugging most of the connections and checked all fuses under the dash but I will check again more closely.

Thanks!
Old 09-23-2019, 05:38 AM
MC Fanatic

Sorry about pic . don't know what happened first time.
Attached Images

Old 09-23-2019, 05:40 AM
MC Fanatic

This one when taken apart was badly corroded and causing all my electrical problems.
Old 09-23-2019, 05:44 AM
MC Fanatic

this one is behind door under dash. exactly the same connector
Attached Images

Old 09-23-2019, 05:48 AM
MC Fanatic

There is a very good thread on this under electrical .
Old 09-23-2019, 07:44 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: '08 X14
Here is a link to the thread where I battled similar issues:

https://teamtalk.mastercraft.com//sh...ad.php?t=70959

The fact that the VDIG works but not the gauges makes me think the CAN bus path to the front must be good (the VDIG reads that directly). This sounds like a failed MMDC box to me, it controls the individual gauges. I believe you can pick up a replacement at Great Lakes Skipper. I'd start probing voltages at the gauges to see if the MMDC was good, I believe the readings I saw are documented in that thread.